Death of Three Sport Athlete | The Boneyard

Death of Three Sport Athlete

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reading this article while sitting at physical therapy session for my freshman daughter's post shoulder surgery.

Young athletes confront pressure to specialize in a single sport, despite risks - Hartford Courant

Some good perspectives from both sides of the argument.
Randy Edsall makes a good point about recruiting kids who play different sports and using different muscle groups. It is a bit ironic though considering Uconn's football players are generally less athletic than their opponents. To be fair several of his recruited players were NFL combine warriors and freakishly off the charts good athletes.

The specialization affects some athletes more than others and can be regional based on sports schedule.

A couple of examples.

My daughter plays volleyball which is a fall sport in Florida. State championships generally end by mid-December. In early December tryouts for travel/club teams start and tournaments go Jan-Apr. AAU tryouts are May and AAU I'd Jun/Jul. Summer conditioning for the HS season also starts in June and I'd 3 days a week of sport specific training (This is actually the best time of year since the facility trains HS through pro level athletes in multiple sports. They know their stuff). Also during summer are two mandatory summer camps and then tryouts for HS are first week of August. Lather, rinse, repeat. By the time many of these girls are seniors in HS or in college their bodies are shot.
Second example is football. Son is playing for first time as a HS senior Seasonal sport but there is no winter football. Many of the players move to basketball, indoor track or other sports. Yes, there is 4 day a week weight training but you are building muscles and using body differently than games. Spring ball is two weeks and then summer camps are done in helmets and shorts. No full contact or full speed for 8 months a year.
Baseball is real bad down south. It's literally year round. There have been some good rules regarding pitch count and days of rest but these kids play 10-11 months startingno later than age 10.
Lacrosse is starting to pick up and take some soccer talent away and their seasons overlap. You caniay both.
Swimming? Year round?
Track and Field and Cross Country? Year round.

Another benefit of the multisport athlete was leading and following. Some athletes were good enough to betop dog in everything. Most kids were better at onesport and a filler in the others. That allows them to learn when to lead, when to follow, understand equal amounts of work and effort can lead to differing results, being coached by different coaches with different styles, cross over friends from the sports and a bunch of other life skills. Specialization puts you with the same group for 6-8 years while body and brain develops. Not a fan.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My high school baseball program in CT was year round as well.

Not many 2 sport athletes either.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Kids need to play multiple sports. It is better for preventing injuries and burnout.

Even LeBron and Iverson played football in hs.

Giancarlo Stanton was a wr recruit for southern cal.

These private programs trying to pressure kids into specialization at even Single digit ages are terrible people.

Ps soccer is worse than just about anyone at this.

the Q

Reaction Score
My high school baseball program in CT was year round as well.

Not many 2 sport athletes either.

I played 3 sports in hs.

Our team was highly ranked my sophomore and junior year even.

Pitchers especially need time away from throwing.

Reaction Score
It all depends on the sport. We get this talk often about premature specialization. But my answer is, what if your kid plays one sport and is also into a bunch of other things (not sports)? You can't do everything. She's not going to play more than one sport just for the physical benefits when she could be doing other things she loves. The multisport push assumes athletes will only do athletic extracurriculars and not other things.

About soccer--our club season begins right after school soccer (November) and goes until late June. She has 2 months off, then begins school soccer. Overall that's 10 months a year.

Reaction Score
The football coaches need to realize that excellent athletes can play multiple sports and still excel at football because you don't need as much skill in football to be successful and a high school level. If you have speed, athleticism, strength and aggressiveness you are good. Try telling a tennis player to only play tennis in the spring and see how far they fall off while other kids pass them with ease.

For other sports, you can see why specialization is the way to go if the goal is to get a scholarship. However, I think kids should be trying and playing multiple sports at least through middle school and it is also a great idea to have your child do gymnastics at an early age to get a base of strength, flexibility and explosiveness.

Reaction Score
Parents created the monster. People thought if their kid just played more than others, they’d be better than they otherwise would’ve been. Maybe that would mean making a high school team that they wouldn’t have, or playing in college, or even the pros! So all of these clubs started to add tournaments and then second seasons and off-season training. And they made a lot of money doing it. I’d add that it’s not just sports. My daughter has friends that do dance or other performance and they are being shuttled back and forth as rigorously as a sport.

Now it has become very hard for a kid to play multiple sports at a legitimate competitive level. Three competitive sports seems impossible now, but two is doable especially if the primary seasons don’t overlap. I’ve nudged mine to play a second sport AND a non-sport activity (guitar for them). The second sport in particular has been great for them for the reasons mentioned above, especially the social aspects.

Re the comment above that soccer is the worst, it isn’t. Baseball and lacrosse are just as bad in my area, and the sport itself is much more expensive to be equipped to play. They are all difficult now and it’s hard for a parent to fight that now.

the Q

Reaction Score
Parents created the monster. People thought if their kid just played more than others, they’d be better than they otherwise would’ve been. Maybe that would mean making a high school team that they wouldn’t have, or playing in college, or even the pros! So all of these clubs started to add tournaments and then second seasons and off-season training. And they made a lot of money doing it. I’d add that it’s not just sports. My daughter has friends that do dance or other performance and they are being shuttled back and forth as rigorously as a sport.

Now it has become very hard for a kid to play multiple sports at a legitimate competitive level. Three competitive sports seems impossible now, but two is doable especially if the primary seasons don’t overlap. I’ve nudged mine to play a second sport AND a non-sport activity (guitar for them). The second sport in particular has been great for them for the reasons mentioned above, especially the social aspects.

Re the comment above that soccer is the worst, it isn’t. Baseball and lacrosse are just as bad in my area, and the sport itself is much more expensive to be equipped to play. They are all difficult now and it’s hard for a parent to fight that now.

I meant in terms of the commitment. They are starting at like 7 or 8 years old now. I haven’t seen baseball starting quite that young for a full commitment.

It’s insane.

the Q

Reaction Score
It all depends on the sport. We get this talk often about premature specialization. But my answer is, what if your kid plays one sport and is also into a bunch of other things (not sports)? You can't do everything. She's not going to play more than one sport just for the physical benefits when she could be doing other things she loves. The multisport push assumes athletes will only do athletic extracurriculars and not other things.

About soccer--our club season begins right after school soccer (November) and goes until late June. She has 2 months off, then begins school soccer. Overall that's 10 months a year.

You are absolutely right.

I mention multiple sports for health reasons in particular.

But it’s also to give young kids time to figure out what they like and what they are good at.

But athletic kids tend to play sports.

the Q

Reaction Score
Too much burnout with sports because they only play 1.

Little billy's daddy needs to realize he isn't going to be a d1 baller at 5'7. Let the kid do track.

Exactly. Burnout is super prevalent now

Reaction Score
Exactly. Burnout is super prevalent now

Kid I coached before I moved schools was the best basketball player in his grade since he was 9. Going into junior year of hs he quit to play golf.

Personally, I love to have the football kids try out for basketball. They're lunchpail player--rebound, physical defense, and unselfish usually.

Reaction Score

I think the point is if you are going to play sports all year, just don't play one sport. Nothing wrong with playing one season and doing whatever it is you want the rest of the year. Nothing wrong with not playing sports at all...

the Q

Reaction Score
I think the point is if you are going to play sports all year, just don't play one sport. Nothing wrong with playing one season and doing whatever it is you want the rest of the year. Nothing wrong with not playing sports at all...

Exactly.

If you just like soccer, play it a bit and do other stuff.

Don’t just run around the soccer field for 10 months.

Reaction Score

I remember when my son started with football - whatever year that starts. He didn't like the hitting so dropped out after a month. But we went to the first jamboree and all of these parents were talking about scholarships - and the kids were what, 8 or 10? (honestly I don't remember) I remember telling a parent that their child could be the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice (or name your superstar) in Pop Warner, and if they showed up at HS at 5'4"/130 they would just ride the bench. Plenty of kids show up in high school with no footabll experience and are bigger/stronger/meaner than the kids that played for the previous 5 years. Sure - it helps in the skill positions, but it isn't like baseball - where if you haven't learned the fundamentals there is no chance you could even make a high school team. Half of the kids from my son's baseball teams - including some of the "all stars" - didn't make their high school teams. And my son - who played baseball exclusively until high school dropped it after freshman year because he didn't like his hs coach and he wasn't having fun. So that was that.

Reaction Score

I did understand the point. Effectively, however, there are no clubs that play only in season. That happens with schools. When we talk about multisport athletes, we're talking about school sports, not club sports. So... if you're really good at a sport, you're going to play it at a club level, which is higher than school sports. Once that happens, you're locked into a long season (8-10 months). In my area, I've yet to see a really good soccer player that isn't affiliated with one of the clubs.

Reaction Score
I think the professional youth coaches have pushed sports specialization to support their businesses. They want kids to commit to their programs year round so that they are employed year round and/or their practice facilities are utilized year round. They push the narrative that kids need to focus on a sport in order to play in high school or to obtain a college scholarship. It is up to the families to push back against the professional youth coaches and figure out what's right for their kids.

I see kids who have played a sport year round, but they are beaten out during tryouts by multi sport athletes who haven't specialized. You feel sorry for the kid who specialized that don't make the high school or elite team as they don't have another sport to fall back on.

Reaction Score
I see kids who have played a sport year round, but they are beaten out during tryouts by multi sport athletes who haven't specialized. You feel sorry for the kid who specialized that don't make the high school or elite team as they don't have another sport to fall back on.

THIS. I coach high school soccer. Most of the kids play year round. Those that don't are just great athletes. IMO, it doesn't matter which route you take. You can't teach speed or strength but kids who play year round also tend to be more technically gifted.

Kids that go D1 or get brought to MLS level academies don't even play high school sports or any other other sport for that matter, so that narrative goes out the window.

the Q

Reaction Score
What if you're good at soccer?

Are they a serious athlete? Do they read about soccer? Practice it at home? Love for it?

Or are they just a natural athlete who is good at it?

I ask because your precious comment made it sound like they soccer but want to other things and not make it their “thing”

If they are serious, play hockey in the off season. It gives a lot of physical advantages and yet get to see the passing angles and movement
Prevalent in soccer in a whole new light. I’ve seen the inverse Happem as well. Serious hockey players playing soccer in the fall.

Reaction Score
I know an NFL player who didn't play until he was 20. Has made.something like 20 million in the league.

He's an obvious exception to the norm, but great athletes will find a place.

That being said--if the kid (not mom and dad) want to specialize? Let them. Especially if they're not realistically d1 bound.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score

With soccer, premier teams have legit seasons as the same time as the high school season, which makes kids choose between their club and high school. As a lacrosse coach and former player, I know there are a ton of teams out there and various tournaments, but that is primarily in the summer/fall with some winter leagues as well. Point is, unlike soccer, these club teams don't force kids to pick and choose between their club and school.

the Q

Reaction Score
I know an NFL player who didn't play until he was 20. Has made.something like 20 million in the league.

That being said--if the kid (not mom and dad) want to specialize? Let them. Especially if they're not realistically d1 bound.

Lorenzo Cain didn’t play baseball until sophomore year of hs or something insane like that.

He’s made 9ish figures as a ball player.

the Q

Reaction Score

No question some kids can specialize. If I grew up in the south I would’ve played baseball as much as possible.

I played hoops because I liked it and ran xc to get in shape for hoops.

But I still played school ball, summer ball and fall ball and would do a hitting league in the winter when avaialable.

Because baseball is the thing I love more than anything else in the world.

Reaction Score
Are they a serious athlete? Do they read about soccer? Practice it at home? Love for it?

Or are they just a natural athlete who is good at it?

I ask because your precious comment made it sound like they soccer but want to other things and not make it their “thing”

If they are serious, play hockey in the off season. It gives a lot of physical advantages and yet get to see the passing angles and movement
Prevalent in soccer in a whole new light. I’ve seen the inverse Happem as well. Serious hockey players playing soccer in the fall.

I would imagine every single kid who is doing club soccer is serious about it. 4 practices a week for 10 months, lots of games, travel, etc.

The burnout concern is a big one.

But they are all serious about it.

My previous comment was about my daughter who plays club soccer but also has other interests, and so has no time for more than one sport. But the one sport she does play is at a very serious level.

I can't even imagine her doing something like hockey, especially in Buffalo, because that sport requires even more from parents and kids. It is a 9 month sport up here, not seasonal. And if you do play both, it also means that you're going to miss games, miss practices for both--which actually might be good for your development but presents new problems for you (lack of reliability will reduce your playing time and stature in the club).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom