Dear AP Poll, Please explain | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dear AP Poll, Please explain

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Baylor is the big question mark at this point. They have two big guys that are playing very good this season, giving them a good high-low setup on offense and Wallace has had some very good nights shooting 3s. However, I still think UConn is a much better "team" especially if Z can stay in a game and play solid defense. "if".....

As we saw last season, it does not always matter who the better team is. That's what we love about sports...any Dawg can have his day.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I miss the days when teams were just ranked by the numbers in the left and right columns.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How is it that #7 South Carolina is blown out by #1 UCONN in their own gym, by what 30 points? and still remain #7, whereas Oregon is beaten by then #24 Stanford by 13 points in their own gym and drop 3) spots from 6th to 9th. Does winning the Nat'l Championship the previous year earn a team such privileges? Perhaps then after losing to the #2 team this week they will jump from #7 to number #4, after all, it is the number #2 team ;)
They are afraid that Dawn might take exception to falling out of the top 10.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You game me an idea-let's set up the BY Poll with a select group of voters to post our top 25 each week. We have enough representation from across the country-nwhoop in the northwest, EricLA in ya know LA, Our SC Gamecock crew, our ND brethren, Milford Husky in VA, you in Montana, CharlieBB in NJ, HuskyNAN and Plebe.

The only caveat is UConn must stay #1...

Uh, dunno ... sounds like work to me and will be followed by endless ridicule and harassment!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sorry :oops:, if it makes you feel any better I left EastTexasTrash, Bags, Oldude, STwain off as well in my haste to post...

I actually dont watch enough conferences to gather strong opinions on a full top 25. I mostly watch the ACC and the Pac 12......... the SEC games are on the same time as the ACC ones... Thursday nights and Sunday afternoons..... so i usually will choose an ACC game. Dont have the Big10 network or the Big12 Fox package so I rarely see those teams play. I would tend to overvalue ACC squads... and undervalue a squad like say............... South Florida :rolleyes: @Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Baylor is the big question mark at this point. They have two big guys that are playing very good this season, giving them a good high-low setup on offense and Wallace has had some very good nights shooting 3s. However, I still think UConn is a much better "team" especially if Z can stay in a game and play solid defense. "if".....

“If” your team was a 1 seed and Baylor wasn’t I would think they would be the team you would least like to be included in your bracket.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
“If” your team was a 1 seed and Baylor wasn’t I would think they would be the team you would least like to be included in your bracket.
I would think that BU would be the highest #2 seed. But I don't know enough about bracketing to know which region they would be in, other than the fact that #1 Seeded UConn is in Albany.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would think that BU would be the highest #2 seed. But I don't know enough about bracketing to know which region they would be in, other than the fact that #1 Seeded UConn is in Albany.
If UConn is the #1 overall seed, and all the favorites win out, UConn would play the #16 overall seed in the Sweet 16 and the #8 seed in the Elite 8 game. If Baylor is seeded anywhere between #2 - #7, UConn could only meet them in the FF.

Reaction Score
You game me an idea-let's set up the BY Poll with a select group of voters to post our top 25 each week. We have enough representation from across the country-nwhoop in the northwest, EricLA in ya know LA, Our SC Gamecock crew, our ND brethren, Milford Husky in VA, you in Montana, CharlieBB in NJ, HuskyNAN and Plebe.

The only caveat is UConn must stay #1...
I like it! Maybe just the top 16 (hosting the 1st 2 games of the NCAA Tournament). I am happy to have nwhoopfan represent the PAC12 (& western US). nwhoopfan has it going on!

Centerstream

Reaction Score
If UConn is the #1 overall seed, and all the favorites win out, UConn would play the #16 overall seed in the Sweet 16 and the #8 seed in the Elite 8 game. If Baylor is seeded anywhere between #2 - #7, UConn could only meet them in the FF.
Dumb question time: which #2 Seed would be in the Albany region, the highest seeded or lowest Seeded #2? (My guess would be lowest seeded, so not BU.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dumb question time: which #2 Seed would be in the Albany region, the highest seeded or lowest Seeded #2? (My guess would be lowest seeded, so not BU.)
Don’t get hung up so much on 1-4 seeds. Think in terms of 1-16 seeds. The process is called circle seeding.

So again, if the top 16 seeds all advance to the Regionals, and UConn is the #1 overall seed, UConn would play #16 (4th #4 seed) in a Sweet 16 game in Albany. The other Sweet 16 game in Albany would involve the #8 overall seed (4th #2 seed) vs the #9 overall seed (1st #3).
The winners of the 2 Sweet 16 games then play each other for a trip to the FF.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Don’t get hung up so much on 1-4 seeds. Think in terms of 1-16 seeds. The process is called circle seeding.

So again, if the top 16 seeds all advance to the Regionals, and UConn is the #1 overall seed, UConn would play #16 (4th #4 seed) in a Sweet 16 game in Albany. The other Sweet 16 game in Albany would involve the #8 overall seed (4th #2 seed) vs the #9 overall seed (1st #3).
The winners of the 2 Sweet 16 games then play each other for a trip to the FF.
Thank you oldude. I understand it now because of your response.

Reaction Score
Too long and the whole no coach, no Cox, is still a talking point. But I was talking about the PAC as whole and lack of OOC good wins, scheduling is of course partly to blame.

I think a major factor this season was Stanford. They have always been the out of conference representative in respect to big games. This season, they were one team that scheduled a lot of higher ranked teams and in some of those games they really sucked. Unfortunately they were a young team that was missing key players ( McPhee) early on so they absorbed a lot of out of conference losses to teams they would probably beat now. They always seem to gel late and that sort of distorts the strength of the conference comparative score wise. While I wouldn't discount early games entirely, It might be a good idea to give the latter games a bit more weight. In retrospect to the conferences image, it might have been better if Stanford had scheduled cup cakes early on.

In respect to Tara, she seems to always do better when her teams have lower expectations, while in games she is expected to win they lose. I have my own theory about that. But all in all Tara is like the "Yellowbeards" they are never more dangerous than when people assume they are dead. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

If BU is the highest two seed I suspect that they will be shipped west with the lowest 1 seed. Will that be Notre Dame or Louisville?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watch a lot of Pac 12 games in the evening and it's a very competitive conference. There are 5-6 quality teams and had two players who stand out.
Firstly is Ionescu who is a superstar phenom. A true point guard who can also shoot well. She likely will become an all time great women's player.
The other player I like to watch is I'm not sure if I got name right, think it's McPhee on Stanford. She just knows both how to play and score in big spots.
Obviously they have some very good coaches and of course Tara is almost up there with Geno, which is saying a lot.
Bronx23

Stanford bears watching when the tournament starts. They were a #2 seed in the Lexington Region and made it to the final four. They sent Texas and Notre Dame home last year. They stumbled coming out of the gate this year, but they've righted the ship, winning 10 of their last 12 games. They're tied (UCLA & Oregon) for 1st place in the PAC 12 at 10-2.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Neither. Geography rules. Seeding can be a tie-breaker in a close call.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
If we agree that UConn gets Albany, the question is how to place Mississippi State, Baylor, Notre Dame and Louisville.

Which one drops down to a two seed and which one has to go out west?

I suggest a solution which is fairest to both the teams and the fans is the following.

1. CT Albany
  2. MS Lexington
  3. ND KC
  4. Baylor Spokane
  5. Louisville Lexington (2 seed)

Mississippi State wins out, they will be undefeated, and deserve their pick of geography. Even if you make the unlikely conclusion that Mississippi State ought to be the overall one seed, they have no interest in Albany, so have no problem with UConn and Albany.

The closest venue to Mississippi State is Lexington.

Notre Dame, if they can keep it together ought to be the fourth best seed but let's bump them up one spot and let them to go to Kansas City. Not quite as close as Lexington but no way no how does Notre Dame get the edge over Mississippi State.

Then send Baylor to Spokane as a one seed.

In the committee has did they don't deserve the one seed so making number one seed is hardly something they can complain about.

Then send Louisville to Lexington.

That's where they really want to be anyway. Some people think they deserve to be a one seed but (barring some cataclysm next Monday) they won't be ahead of either UConn or Mississippi State, so they want to be a one seed bearing Kansas City or Spokane. Dropping them to us to seed where they belong anyway, allows him to play almost a home game in Lexington.

Who can complain?

Some Louisville fan will say they deserve a number one seed but if you point out getting a number one seed means you don't plan Lexington I think they'll pipe down quickly.

Notre Dame can't complain about being the third overall seed as that's higher than they deserve (okay, of course I'm being silly, of course Notre Dame fans can complain. They can they will but they won't have a leg to stand on.)

Mississippi State gets the closest region so nothing to complain about.

Baylor was told they might be a three seed and then maybe a two seed so getting a one seed can hardly be a thing to complain about

UConn gets the closest region so nothing to complain about.

So that means, of course, UConn needs to defeat Louisville on Monday to help make the bracketing easier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford bears watching when the tournament starts. They were a #2 seed in the Lexington Region and made it to the final four. They sent Texas and Notre Dame home last year. They stumbled coming out of the gate this year, but they've righted the ship, winning 10 of their last 12 games. They're tied (UCLA & Oregon) for 1st place in the PAC 12 at 10-2.
The PAC-12 Tournament is a toss up between 5 teams: ASU, UO, Stanford, OSU, and UCLA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom