DC Anthony Poindexter | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DC Anthony Poindexter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any other info on this guy?

I saw a lot of UVA while he was a player, and Poindexter was one of the best college safeties I've ever seen. Think Bennie Blades. A tough SOB. He suffered a tragic knee injury his senior year or he would have been a top pick and my guess is he would have had multiple pro bowls. The best player on some really good Virginia teams. Loved him as a player.

No idea whether he can coach. It sure looks like Diaco is going to go after the very fertile Virginia recruiting grounds. Probably smart since London is a dead man walking at UVA - his in-game coaching moves make PP look like Belichick.

Reaction Score
Yes

I think we have at least 4 guys that were Recruiting Coordinators at their school. We also have guys with ties to major harvest areas ... VA, Georgia and now Florida. I do expect 6-9 new commitments. Should be a busy month.

NCAA recruiting "dead period" ends 1/15. Hopefully, all hands on deck now and very soon, working the phones and emails and the chance to line up face to face visits for three weeks until 2/5/14,...should be very busy in Storrs....

Reaction Score
Why is the dead period so late? Are they afraid the BCS Bowl teams might lose a recruit while they're being drooled over by the media in January? I can see the first week but beyond that seems excessive.

Reaction Score
Why is the dead period so late? Are they afraid the BCS Bowl teams might lose a recruit while they're being drooled over by the media in January? I can see the first week but beyond that seems excessive.

Changed it this year...

"Extending the winter dead period and adding a summer dead period will allow coaches and recruits a break from the recruiting process while still ensuring appropriate time for everyone to make informed recruiting decision," the NCAA said in a release when the proposals were announced."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ecruiting-all-star-games-dead-period/3317441/

Reaction Score
IMO the dead period should be 12/24-12/25, and 1/1/.

What's the argument for the dead periods? The teams in bowl games are missing out on recruiting? Sure recruits may want to take a break from recruiting, but they can make that decision on their own.

"Hi [insert name here], this is Coach Urban. I'm going to be busy game planning for my Orange Bowl game. You may hear from some other programs on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean they want you more. These major bowl games take a lot of my attention, I hope you understand. I'll be in touch again, and more often, after the new year. Remember, you can watch us 1/3 on ESPN in the Orange Bowl..."

The teams that didn't make bowls, didn't have extra practice time, didn't have another game to plan for, should be given the time to go out and recruit and try and level the playing field.

Reaction Score
Via a Jim Fuller re-tweet:

“@JustinABC13: (Part 1) I spoke with Anthony Poindexter at 630pm today. I asked are you the new def. coord. at UConn? He said, "Not yet but I will be."”

“@JustinABC13: (Part 2) He then asked for me to call him back in 2 hours. I did and he did not pick up and has not returned text messages.”

“@JustinABC13: (Part 3) Rumors of Al Golden going from Miami to Penn State could be holding up Poindexter's decision. Those two coached together.”

Reaction Score
If Golden is looking to bring him to PSU, I certainly hope we can keep him.

Reaction Score
Via a Jim Fuller re-tweet:

“@JustinABC13: (Part 1) I spoke with Anthony Poindexter at 630pm today. I asked are you the new def. coord. at UConn? He said, "Not yet but I will be."”

“@JustinABC13: (Part 2) He then asked for me to call him back in 2 hours. I did and he did not pick up and has not returned text messages.”

“@JustinABC13: (Part 3) Rumors of Al Golden going from Miami to Penn State could be holding up Poindexter's decision. Those two coached together.”

He ain't nothing special. Next....:rolleyes: WTF.....

Reaction Score
Gonna assume PSU can pay more. Tough deal.

More, less, I don't think it matters. PSU is a tough job right now, but (depending on the position) it's still a better resume builder.

Kevin Gilbride is available, he knows how to shut offenses down.

Reaction Score
He ain't nothing special. Next....:rolleyes: WTF.....

Actually Diaco has some flexibility w/ current hires if this goes in the toilet. Wolthausen was a DC @ Louisville his last year before following Petrino to the Falcons. Hope it gets sorted out and he comes but...

In the mean time - James Franklin to PSU!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Poindexter landed Quin Blanding this year, a safety who's a unanimous top 5 player in the country.

Reaction Score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have learned that Penn State is no longer in the equation for Anthony Poindexter as a staff member.</p>&mdash; Jerry Ratcliffe (@JerryRatcliffe) <a href="https://twitter.com/JerryRatcliffe/statuses/419344272484499456">January 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have learned that Penn State is no longer in the equation for Anthony Poindexter as a staff member.</p>&mdash; Jerry Ratcliffe (@JerryRatcliffe) <a href="https://twitter.com/JerryRatcliffe/statuses/419344272484499456">January 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For whatever reason, this makes me feel even better about getting Poindexter. Not only was I excited about his resume, but we also beat out Penn State for his services. Nice!!!

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, this makes me feel even better about getting Poindexter. Not only was I excited about his resume, but we also beat out Penn State for his services. Nice!!!
Impressive stuff. You see where coach Diaco may be focusing for recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom