Dbl. Overtime Game vs. NC State Up For ESPY Award | The Boneyard

Dbl. Overtime Game vs. NC State Up For ESPY Award

Reaction Score
4E064DFA-6832-4568-B036-564F60A66FCC.jpeg

Reaction Score
You’re a lucky lady to have been there.
Indeed! I bought tickets as soon as they went on sale and thought I got super lucky to be sitting right behind the UConn bench. Turned out we were right behind NC State and sitting with all the player's parents. What a weekend of basketball!! Unfortunately that's probably the last regional for Bridgeport :-(

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Hard to think of a better basketball game this past season, across all the leagues. Not sure if there was some amazing match in another sport, but this would definitely be my best basketball game vote!

Reaction Score
I concur with the Boneyard consensus that the game was outstanding and worthy of an Espy. But I am rather surprised that all of a sudden ESPN considers a UConn victory a great game. How often did they replay that game? For that matter, how often do they replay any UConn victory? ESPN appears to prefer replaying all of UConn’s losses in championship games and replay last second shots by Arike and Victoria until we see them in our nightmares. How many times did they replay Muffet dancing an Irish jig? Just a few days ago they replayed the 2022 UConn-SC championship game, but not the NCS game. One would think that they could wedge an Espy-worthy game in between pickle ball competitions, cornhole matches and flying disc sports. I am now finished ranting for the day. Congratulations to the UConn players, staff and fans.

Reaction Score
I concur with the Boneyard consensus that the game was outstanding and worthy of an Espy. But I am rather surprised that all of a sudden ESPN considers a UConn victory a great game...
Perhaps they are not considering this UConn victory as a great game, but NC State's double overtime performance against the D1 powerhouse worthy of being a great game. :rolleyes:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I concur with the Boneyard consensus that the game was outstanding and worthy of an Espy. But I am rather surprised that all of a sudden ESPN considers a UConn victory a great game. How often did they replay that game? For that matter, how often do they replay any UConn victory? ESPN appears to prefer replaying all of UConn’s losses in championship games and replay last second shots by Arike and Victoria until we see them in our nightmares. How many times did they replay Muffet dancing an Irish jig? Just a few days ago they replayed the 2022 UConn-SC championship game, but not the NCS game. One would think that they could wedge an Espy-worthy game in between pickle ball competitions, cornhole matches and flying disc sports. I am now finished ranting for the day. Congratulations to the UConn players, staff and fans.
To be honest, the UConns of yore rarely needed to go to OT at all. Didn't Stewie win two of her championships marching through the NCAA Tournament winning every single game by double digit margins? Honestly, there just weren't many close enough games for much of UConn's recent history to be worthy of a best game award.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The NC State game was the most exciting game I have ever seen in person.

Thrilling, exhausting, amazing!

The most exciting game I ever saw on television was game 5 of the Celtics versus Suns NBA Finals in 1976. Triple overtime, buzzer beaters, a fan punching out a ref, totally insane.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The NC State game was the most exciting game I have ever seen in person.

Thrilling, exhausting, amazing!

The most exciting game I ever saw on television was game 5 of the Celtics versus Suns NBA Finals in 1976. Triple overtime, buzzer beaters, a fan punching out a ref, totally insane.
Ditto! Best and loudest game I’ve ever seen in person. While I didn’t play a minute, I was completely exhausted by the end. Lots of getting up and down to cheer one great play after another.

Reaction Score
Man...what an incredible game. So glad I was able to be there in person. Strangers became friends. Lots of high fives, hugging and tears of relief were all around. It was by far the most exciting, exhausting, dramatic and mentally draining game I have ever been to in any sport, in my life time, and I'm not young. The speed, talent, injuries, never quit mentality by both teams and fans was one for the record books. Looking forward to next year's season tickets!

Reaction Score
I was totally drained!
Definitely the BEST game I've ever been to , but by far the sweet 16 against UCF was the LOUDEST and most rowdy UConn game I've ever been at. The noise level was off the charts, the student section was CRAZY. Thousands of fans on their feet. Same scenario, but the tension was high, game was rough and close. UCF came to win and wasn't gonna go home without some blood on their hands. It was truly one brutal game from start to finish, and the fans loved every minute of it.

Reaction Score
So the numbers are interesting for this game and beyond. It had the largest audience of any Elite 8 women's game since 2006 at 2 million. Carrying over to the Finals, that game had the highest audience for a Finals since 2004 (everyone wanted to see the GOAT's last game), averaging 4.85 million but peaking at 5.91 million at about 10:00- 10:15 PM. I know we have been over this ad nauseam but we did not play well and the game was nothing like the NC State game, nor was it particularly tight or exciting, perhaps explaining the drop off at that time frame. The record average was 5.68 million in 2002. If we were not banged up and ill, and it was a back and forth game which it would have been, we would have set the record.

I use these statistics to argue that the interest and viewership of women's college basketball has risen. For example, the viewership on the B10 channel, no doubt due to Ms. Clark in part, rose a whopping 41% in one year. It's not just TV. The attendance in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tourney was at a 20 year high. Let's face it, Webster Arena (I was there for the regional semis), was a smaller venue. I'm not suggesting that MSG would have worked better, I'm just stating that there could have been a larger arena filled.

The game is expanding its base. When I hear my golf buddies, men's Bball fans to the core, knowing who is in the women's FF or wanting a tip, it tells me something about the change in notoriety as to the sport. It's a very exciting product right now, with much better players, a few of whom are extraordinary, up and down the rosters, and the next two years ( she will stay) will bring more attention to the game than ever before. I question whether the new NCAA tourney format will nurture or truncate its growth however but not questioning the NCAA and their actions is like not questioning the weather when you see dark clouds and hale the size of golf balls.

Reaction Score
Ditto! Best and loudest game I’ve ever seen in person. While I didn’t play a minute, I was completely exhausted by the end. Lots of getting up and down to cheer one great play after another.
Up and down?? I don't think our butts touched our seats after 2:00 to go in regulation through both OT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom