Dawn's last chance to beat Geno? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dawn's last chance to beat Geno?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I’ve seen the movie, but I’m a little confused by the analogy. Are you suggesting that Geno is an old rabid dog that should be shot (not an entirely inappropriate analogy), or are you saying that Dawn just stole a piece of meat and we should start referring to her as “Young Yeller?” :oops:

Well, she does like to yell...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Vic Schaefer will take the A&M job when Gary Blair retires and MSU will move back to the pack in the SEC. Holly Warlick is already 59 or 60 so I don't expect her at Tennessee more than another 5 or 6 years. Keep an eye on Joni Taylor at Georgia as the next team to contend in the SEC. As long as Dawn is at USC, we will contend, IMHO.
What can A&M offer Vic that MSU cannot?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dawn on the UConn game.

From Dawn’s comments it sounds like SC is going to try to trade baskets with UConn rather than take the air out of the ball like last year. If so, the game could get away from the Gamecocks.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Basketball is the only sport you listed where SC actually needs to recruit nationally. There is MORE than enough football talent for SC in the South (remember, people come to the South for football players, not vice versa). Same for baseball... SC recruits nationally when needed for baseball, but doesn’t really have to because SC is top 5 in producing D1 baseball players per capita. We also routinely get the best baseball players from Georgia, North Carolina and Florida. Basketball is the only sport you listed where SC’s backyard falls short in talent.
I should probably been clearer on the 'Brass Ring" I mentioned. If the talent pool is sufficient for football, will you list the SEC championships and National Championship years. Football was great when the state produced Lattimore and Clowney as transcendent players. Look at Clemson's roster and you see it littered with players from Ohio, Texas, Colorado, Virginia, Indiana, ALABAMA, Pennsylvania. So stick to recruiting in the Carolinas and Georgia and see how it works out.

Baseball was perennially a national power under Ray Tanner, but is ,in reality, not even the top program in the state (and no I do not wear orange).

I have lived in SC for 25 years and if there is two traits that I find common in USC fans is that they are parochial and myopic. They typically have a very narrow focus and are confined to a localized area.

Reaction Score
As long as Geno is coaching, he will be at the top. I think the real question for you guys is who will replace him when he retires.
\

That's a bridge we are not crossing until it must be crossed.
Then there is the fact: The Boneyard does not select his successor.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What can A&M offer Vic that MSU cannot?

I agree. Not sure I would make that move.

At A&M he’s in Texas but he’s the little man on a big campus. The support his program would receive is marginal in comparison to what he’s getting at Miss State.. MSU fans love that program, even on a football/baseball campus.

At MSU, he’s already one of the most successful coaches in athletic department history and he’s only played in ONE championship game... because of that, he’s one of the big fish on a smaller (than A&M) campus.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I should probably been clearer on the 'Brass Ring" I mentioned. If the talent pool is sufficient for football, will you list the SEC championships and National Championship years. Football was great when the state produced Lattimore and Clowney as transcendent players. Look at Clemson's roster and you see it littered with players from Ohio, Texas, Colorado, Virginia, Indiana, ALABAMA, Pennsylvania. So stick to recruiting in the Carolinas and Georgia and see how it works out.

Baseball was perennially a national power under Ray Tanner, but is ,in reality, not even the top program in the state (and no I do not wear orange).

I have lived in SC for 25 years and if there is two traits that I find common in USC fans is that they are parochial and myopic. They typically have a very narrow focus and are confined to a localized area.

Sigh.

It’s exhausting how sometimes you can’t have a debate here without receiving some kind of negative trait inferred about you from people that don’t even know you. All just because of your fan affiliation. Did I make assumptions about Husky fans in my response to you?

You obviously know enough about SC for me to not have to explain the history of Gamecock football to you and why there are no SEC titles/National titles. So I won’t. Not only is it mediocre but why would I explain it here, on a WBB forum. I’m here to talk WBB.

And.. I really hate bringing Clemson into a conversation involving SC, but since you did.. Clemson only RECENTLY became a national recruiter. They became who they are when most of their best players were from Florida/Georgia.. you do not have to leave the South to field a nationally competitive team in football, you don’t. Now, if you can, you may choose to supplement holes in your roster, or elevate spots, with good players from elsewhere (because you can, and Clemson can) but you don’t HAVE to.

And Baseball, even if it’s not the best program in SC (as you say).. it still doesn’t defeat my point that SC won two back to back titles (and played for a third the following year) mostly with players from SC/Georgia/Florida.. and a few East Coast kids. SC has also played for 3 other titles in years prior, with most of their roster comprised of South Carolininians. SC not being the best program in its own state (again, according to you) is a non-factor. SC, as a state, has 3-4 baseball programs in a state of barely 5 million people that I could pick up, place in another state, and it would be the best program in that state. That’s how good the baseball programs are here.

Lastly, I don’t care how long you’ve lived in SC. Just because of my fan affiliation, don’t assume you know anything about me. Because you don’t. I don’t care how worldly you are.. you don’t know me. If you’d like to continue debating viewpoints without getting nasty, sure, go right ahead... but if you’d like to make this just another boneyard spat then miss me with it. Let’s not waste one another’s time with something so trivial.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Sigh.

It’s exhausting how sometimes you can’t have a debate here without receiving some kind of negative trait inferred about you from people that don’t even know you. All just because of your fan affiliation. Did I make assumptions about Husky fans in my response to you?

You obviously know enough about SC for me to not have to explain the history of Gamecock football to you and why there are no SEC titles/National titles. So I won’t. Not only is it mediocre but why would I explain it here, on a WBB forum. I’m here to talk WBB.

And.. I really hate bringing Clemson into a conversation involving SC, but since you did.. Clemson only RECENTLY became a national recruiter. They became who they are when most of their best players were from Florida/Georgia.. you do not have to leave the South to field a nationally competitive team in football, you don’t. Now, if you can, you may choose to supplement holes in your roster, or elevate spots, with good players from elsewhere (because you can, and Clemson can) but you don’t HAVE to.

And Baseball, even if it’s not the best program in SC (as you say).. it still doesn’t defeat my point that SC won two back to back titles (and played for a third the following year) mostly with players from SC/Georgia/Florida.. and a few East Coast kids. SC has also played for 3 other titles in years prior, with most of their roster comprised of South Carolininians. SC not being the best program in its own state (again, according to you) is a non-factor. SC, as a state, has 3-4 baseball programs in a state of barely 5 million people that I could pick up, place in another state, and it would be the best program in that state. That’s how good the baseball programs are here.

Lastly, I don’t care how long you’ve lived in SC. Just because of my fan affiliation, don’t assume you know anything about me. Because you don’t. I don’t care how worldly you are.. you don’t know me. If you’d like to continue debating viewpoints without getting nasty, sure, go right ahead... but if you’d like to make this just another boneyard spat then miss me with it. Let’s not waste one another’s time with something so trivial.
I think I owe you an apology. I am sorry for any negative tone and derogatory remarks. It was not my intention.

I have lived in SC for 25 years and love the state, specifically the Upstate having lived in Taylors and experiencing the beauty. My daughter has married into garnet and black with nothing orange allowed in the house.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think I owe you an apology. I am sorry for any negative tone and derogatory remarks. It was not my intention.

I have lived in SC for 25 years and love the state, specifically the Upstate having lived in Taylors and experiencing the beauty. My daughter has married into garnet and black with nothing orange allowed in the house.

No apology necessary.

I’m a Charlestonian myself, and although Charlestonian’s are notoriously self-involved (the world does in fact revolve around our seaside city).. I do appreciate the beauty of the Upstate.

Reaction Score

Never mind. Already discussed.

Reaction Score
Sigh.

You undersold us slightly. USC has been runner up in baseball 4 times to go with the two titles.

Reaction Score
I agree. Not sure I would make that move.

At A&M he’s in Texas but he’s the little man on a big campus. The support his program would receive is marginal in comparison to what he’s getting at Miss State.. MSU fans love that program, even on a football/baseball campus.

At MSU, he’s already one of the most successful coaches in athletic department history and he’s only played in ONE championship game... because of that, he’s one of the big fish on a smaller (than A&M) campus.

I just think Texas A&M or Texas if they are really interested in competing could throw more money and support at him than he might get from Miss State. And better access to Texas recruiting is a big deal.

Shoot, those are the few jobs that I would worry about for Staley, particularly given her connection to Houston.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Money. Texas.
While I understand Vic’s ties to A&M, as others point out, Vic is a star in Starkville, where MS St can pay him every bit as much as A&M. He’s also 56 years old. Assuming Blair hangs around for a few more years, does Vic really want to start all over again when he’s pushing 60? Does A&M want to replace a really old coach with an old coach?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some of this comes down to odds. If Geno were to coach for another 20 years (we can only hope), Dawn would have a lot more chances to knock him off once or twice. Although it pains me to say so, I’d be surprised if Geno goes beyond 70, or another 6 seasons after this year.
While I don't disagree, if he continues to recruit like he has lately, I suspect he will stick around until those top kids graduate. While I hope he stays longer, I suspect if we land Fudd, he will hang it up after her senior year at UCONN...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I don't disagree, if he continues to recruit like he has lately, I suspect he will stick around until those top kids graduate. While I hope he stays longer, I suspect if we land Fudd, he will hang it up after her senior year at UCONN...
Well that’s 7 years out and 70 years old, but if Geno hangs it up at 70 Fudd and her class certainly won’t be Geno’s last recruits. I can’t see Geno “leaving the cubbard bare” for Shea or Jen or whoever takes over for him.

Reaction Score
I know people like her... and she is talented... but I just do not see it. She seems to be a very angry person who stomps and kicks and acts out when she does not get her way. Just really do not like her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Money, facilities and Texas recruiting.
While I don’t disagree, and I certainly get Vic’s ties to A&M, I pointed out in an earlier post that Vic is a star in Starkville. He’s also 56 years old. If Blair hangs around a few more years, Vic would be pushing 60 and starting over again? Also, would A&M want to replace a really old coach with an old coach?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well that’s 7 years out and 70 years old, but if Geno hangs it up at 70 Fudd and her class certainly won’t be Geno’s last recruits. I can’t see Geno “leaving the cubbard bare” for Shea or Jen or whoever takes over for him.
Barring unforeseen health issues, Geno could continue up to or just passed 75 or so.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
While I don’t disagree, and I certainly get Vic’s ties to A&M, I pointed out in an earlier post that Vic is a star in Starkville. He’s also 56 years old. If Blair hangs around a few more years, Vic would be pushing 60 and starting over again? Also, would A&M want to replace a really old coach with an old coach?

All good points; I just can't imagine Blair coaching much longer.

Reaction Score
I just think Texas A&M or Texas if they are really interested in competing could throw more money and support at him than he might get from Miss State. And better access to Texas recruiting is a big deal.

Shoot, those are the few jobs that I would worry about for Staley, particularly given her connection to Houston.
You just want Vic out of the SEC,lol.

Reaction Score
Vic will leave Miss. State as their most accomplished WBB coach! I would be shocked if he left. He should use the offer though for more money with Mississippi State!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom