Dawn Staley comments on UConn Players and Coach | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley comments on UConn Players and Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller:

South Carolina's Staley dishes on UConn's Stewart and future Husky Collier...

[LINK] to full article

Reverse psychology?

Reaction Score
ESPN is gearing up the Monday night showdown like a Final 4 game...........Ratings should be through the roof..........

Reaction Score
Highly complimentary. It would be great to have an intense rivalry without animosity between the coaches.

Say something nice now Geno.

You're talking about the Tennessee thing between Geno and PHS? What was that all-about anyways? What started all of that? There is some real animosity there that still exists.

What about ND and UConn ... bad blood there too? Stanford and UConn ... hard feelings?

Do you think Geno will say something nice? Has he ever, about anyone, that you might recall?

Reaction Score
ESPN is gearing up the Monday night showdown like a Final 4 game......Ratings should be through the roof.....

They sure are ... ESPN had been pumping this for almost a month, non-stop. You're right, it should be the highest rated women's regular season game ever I would think. I mean ESPN has been pumping this game on all four channels and they are going to intensify that over the weekend and all day Monday I would imagine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You're talking about the Tennessee thing between Geno and PHS? What was that all-about anyways? What started all of that? There is some real animosity there that still exists.

What about ND and UConn ... bad blood there too? Stanford and UConn ... hard feelings?

Do you think Geno will say something nice? Has he ever, about anyone, that you might recall?
Readers digest version - 3 issues with Tennessee. First, Pat was the Queen of WCBB until Geno came along and not only challenged her, but knocked her out of the top. Second, Philly eastern sarcasm vs. Southern gentility. Geno loved prodding and poking and Pat and the Tenn. fans HATED it.

Third, as UCONN skyrocketed up the NC and wins lists, they also started going head to head for recruits that Pat really coveted. Geno won more of those battles than he lost (Strother, Doty, Delle Donne, and finally the capper - Maya Moore). This is where it gets complex. Tennessee fans will tell you Geno is a cheater (fact is Pat has more recruiting violations than Geno). Pat orchestrated a 39+ page complaint against Geno and UCONN, even going so far as to include posts on the Boneyard (yep she did that) as "proof" of wrongdoing on Geno and UCONN's part.

The ONLY violation that the NCAA could find was involving Moore - a UCONN staff member called ESPN to arrange a tour for her, and that was considered a 2ndary violation. So Pat's attempt to take down Geno and UCONN failed in a very epic and public way. The other thing Tenn. fans (and probably Pat) believe about Geno is that he used something about her personal home life (I can't say on the BY but it's pretty easy to figure out if you put 2 + 2 together). Of course Geno doesn't need to do that to land recruits - the issues about Pat's personal life are VERY well known and were discussed by players and their parents in AAU circuits so it's not like Geno needed to even let that cat out of the bag.

Most Tenn fans who post on message boards hate Geno. Pat never much liked Geno's sarcasm or humor and wasn't inclined to forget the public embarrassment of her complaint going nowhere.

Anyway that was more long winded than I anticipated. Pat really pulled a bunch of shenanigans and tried really hard to take Geno down. It was so bad that Geno still won't play Tennessee unless the issue an apology for all the crap they pulled. Since that ain't gonna happen, the cold war will continue and the teams will never meet unless it's in the NCAA's...

Reaction Score
Highly complimentary. It would be great to have an intense rivalry without animosity between the coaches.
Say something nice now Geno.

Players come and go, intensely bitter coaches make great rivalries.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The Muffett thing is more recent. Last year when Stewie was presented her POY award, Muffet and some of her players sat on their hands and refused to applaud. Bad form, bad sportsmanship.

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller:

South Carolina's Staley dishes on UConn's Stewart and future Husky Collier...

[LINK] to full article

Reverse psychology?
Great post but you may want to take back the word dishes. She is telling it like it is just as Geno would, obviously has picked up on what he puts down. She is a very knowledgeable coach and credits Geno for his style and willingness to share it with others.
She has her team in position to be the new Rocky Top or....will they follow the path of ND and be what we may call Cocky Flop?

Reaction Score
Stanford and UConn ... hard feelings?QUOTE]

There are no "hard feelings" between Stanford and UConn unless you count the fan's feelings regarding Coach VanDeveer's decision not to start Rebecca Lobo when the US National team played an exhibition game against UConn at Gampel. I think most fans have gotten past that

Reaction Score
Great post but you may want to take back the word dishes. She is telling it like it is just as Geno would, obviously has picked up on what he puts down. She is a very knowledgeable coach and credits Geno for his style and willingness to share it with others.
She has her team in position to be the new Rocky Top or....will they follow the path of ND and be what we may call Cocky Flop?
I think you're right on, Woof. Good stuff. I didn't think it would right though, to change the wording in Jim Fuller's headline.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Players come and go, intensely bitter coaches make great rivalries.

I think most of the best sports rivalries are because of the proximity of fans. That's where you guys miss out on not having an in-state rival. I hate Clemson so much because I have friends, co-workers and acquaintances who are Clemson fans. If we don't win we have to listen to them run their mouths.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Everyone is going to love Napheesa Collier. Geno included.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, there were words directed at UConn by the Stanford coach after Sales picked UConn over Stanford.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, there were words directed at UConn by the Stanford coach after Sales picked UConn over Stanford.
She probably had a few, under her breath perhaps, when Katie Lou did the same. Oh well!

Reaction Score
I'm not a Stanford fan (mostly because they have beat us when it meant something); However, Tara is a class act all the way.

Reaction Score

Easy there scrooster. It's not a good idea to start a pissing contest when you're wearing a diaper.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: I read that USAbasketball bigwigs are going to be here in Storrs Monday to announce
Geno's assistants for the Rio games. Dawn Staley a lock imo. A near lock to be head coach
in 2020....imo.

Reaction Score
She probably had a few, under her breath perhaps, when Katie Lou did the same. Oh well!
I think when Sales committed to UConn, VanDerveer said something about her ability to recruit multiple Nykesha Sales every year.

I also believe it's no coincidence Sales set the UConn single game record against Stanford.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The ONLY violation that the NCAA could find was involving Moore - a UCONN staff member called ESPN to arrange a tour for her, and that was considered a 2ndary violation.

This is not exactly accurate, Eric. All the UCONN staffer did was dial the phone and give it to the Moore's.

Reaction Score
They sure are ... ESPN had been pumping this for almost a month, non-stop. You're right, it should be the highest rated women's regular season game ever I would think. I mean ESPN has been pumping this game on all four channels and they are going to intensify that over the weekend and all day Monday I would imagine.
Actually, he has been very complimentary of Sherri Coales of Oklahoma. While he was recruiting Stacy Hansmeyer, Coales was her HS coach, and when Oklahoma asked Geno for advice on hiring a new women's basketball coach he recommended her for the job. So, yes, Geno does speak well of other coaches and even finds them a better job!

Reaction Score
This is not exactly accurate, Eric. All the UCONN staffer did was dial the phone and give it to the Moore's.
The NCAA hit UConn with a secondary violation for that? Why does the NCAA hate UConn so much?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LOL well that's even worse!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
LOL well that's even worse!
Exactly, it was a horrible thing. It turned basic social courtesy and being polite into NCAA complaint on the basis that use of that office phone was not a service available to the general student population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom