David Ortiz the Journey | The Boneyard

David Ortiz the Journey

Reaction Score
On NESN. Excellent show. Must see TV for Sox fans. Greatest Red Sox ever.

HOFer.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm just sticking around to see what Mau's reaction is ;)

Reaction Score
Please, Greatest Red Sox ever? Ted Williams missed 5-6 seasons in WWII and the Korean War. He would have blown away all homer records and a bunch of other records.

Maybe.

I'll take Ortiz.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

I'll take Ortiz.

Love ya but wow! Crazy

Thats' like Giant fans saying Bonds is the greatest ever with Mays. One being an all time great the other an all time cheating DH. There you have my reaction Stair!;)

Reaction Score
I assume basically 100% of players did them and know Ortiz did.

Same with Olympians and cyclists etc. I am pretty sure almost everyone does or did them.

I don't really care. I vote them into HOF based on what they did on field. Meaning AROD, Bonds, Clemens etc are HOFers to me. And Ortiz too.

Truth is he still is and the numbers are crazy and pointing straight at him. Good for him he got away with it somehow, but he is Jeff Bagel period! But not as good because he only hit. Sorry but I'm better with none of them getting in, too obvious of an advantage over the players of yesteryear and lets not talk about speed and stuff, no comparison.

I'm good with your opinion why not, he's yours. But the game is changed way too much by this stuff and I just don't see how they can be in the same HOF.

Reaction Score
Truth is he still is and the numbers are crazy and pointing straight at him. Good for him he got away with it somehow, but he is Jeff Bagel period! But not as good because he only hit. Sorry but I'm better with none of them getting in, too obvious of an advantage over the players of yesteryear and lets not talk about speed and stuff, no comparison.

I'm good with your opinion why not, he's yours. But the game is changed way too much by this stuff and I just don't see how they can be in the same HOF.

The HOF doesn't, and was never intended to, compare players across eras. The best players of each era deserve to be in.

Reaction Score
The HOF doesn't, and was never intended to, compare players across eras. The best players of each era deserve to be in.

Nah obvious cheaters don't - none of them. Rog, Barry, ARod and all. Just not baseball.

Reaction Score
Nah obvious cheaters don't - none of them. Rog, Barry, ARod and all. Just not baseball.
I don't agree that the ultimate arbiter of a players career is a museum. Obviously tons of players had different priorities and maybe playing the game and being good at it takes precedence. These things are measurable by stats, wins and losses and championships. Never saw Ted Williams play, David Ortiz is the greatest clutch hitter I've ever seen. I've got Pedro in front for Best Red Sox player I've ever seen but via longevity Ortiz has a very good case.

Reaction Score
The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is an American history museum and hall of fame, located at 25 Main Street in Cooperstown, New York, and operated by private interests. It serves as the central point for the study of the history of baseball in the United States and beyond, displays baseball-related artifacts and exhibits, and honors those who have excelled in playing, managing, and serving the sport.

Anyone who does not think steroid users and Pete Rose belong in the hall of fame have zero idea what the hall of fame is. They are part of the history and story of the game. No "study" of the game or historical view of the game would be complete without them.

Reaction Score
The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is an American history museum and hall of fame, located at 25 Main Street in Cooperstown, New York, and operated by private interests. It serves as the central point for the study of the history of baseball in the United States and beyond, displays baseball-related artifacts and exhibits, and honors those who have excelled in playing, managing, and serving the sport.

Anyone who does not think steroid users and Pete Rose belong in the hall of fame have zero idea what the hall of fame is. They are part of the history and story of the game. No "study" of the game or historical view of the game would be complete without them.
At this point the HOF thing is about old vs new and baseball's old legacy of stats being burnt to the ground by the steroid era. And that his is exacerbated by new stats/sabermetrics. Because 2 of the biggest 3 stats in baseball (HR in season, All-time HR King) were rendered meaningless by steroids (I think JoeD's hitting streak is one still standing), the only recourse for the crowd that revered traditional stats is to keep anyone with a whiff of steroid suspicion out of the HOF. Until they come for their money I think its a hollow victory. But since it is somewhat satisfying in the case of the extreme headline cheaters that broke the hallowed records in Barry Bonds, Sosa & McGuire it applies for all.

Reaction Score
"Please, Greatest Red Sox ever? Ted Williams missed 5-6 seasons in WWII and the Korean War. He would have blown away all homer records and a bunch of other records."

No doubt that Ted Williams was the greatest Red Sox hitter ever but Go said the Greatest Red Sox ever. With Ted and all of his great years we never won a World Series. In fact Ted flopped in his only appearance. With big Papi we have had three and counting. I get why Go feels the way he does.

Reaction Score
The numbers in that article don't lie unless somehow he is the only one to suddenly become a player. He was at a homer dome prior to hooking up with Manny and hit how many?

Great clutch hitter, turned into a better hitter smarter hitter but so did ARod, Palmiero ,Bagwell and all the others. Hey Piazza got in they must be getting soft. He will probably get in at some point as they will open the doors to all of those guys I'm guessing as voters change.

If I were a Sox fan I would defend him too. But it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Please, Greatest Red Sox ever? Ted Williams missed 5-6 seasons in WWII and the Korean War. He would have blown away all homer records and a bunch of other records.
Yep...two different things.
Ted Williams is the greatest Red Sox hitter ever, maybe the best ever behind Ruth.
Ortiz is the greatest clutch hitter in Sox history and second greatest Sox hitter ever.

Reaction Score

Same with Olympians and cyclists etc. I am pretty sure almost everyone does or did them.

I don't really care. I vote them into HOF based on what they did on field. Meaning AROD, Bonds, Clemens etc are HOFers to me. And Ortiz too.
Here's an idea. Just shut the entire HOF down. I've been to Cooperstown, it's nice. But who gives a duck anymore. Maybe I'm just too into team success and not individual success. I love everything Ortiz has done for the Sox but I don't give a rats ass if he never ends up in the HOF. Sort of like when I was a kid I used to care about whether or not my team had a cy young or MVP. I mean it's good argument stuff but I honestly I could care less anymore.
Maybe I got detached from the individual player when Damon went to NY. Or maybe it's the 10 championships between the Sox/Giants/UConn...to me it's just about the team. I'll root for the individuals and love what they do and I hope they stay til they suck, but after that, who gives a duck
Just win. Ortiz is a beast. He turned the entire Sox/Yankees rivalry on its head and won 3 and maybe 4 rings doing it. That's all that matters to me. Not Cooperstown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I figured the Ortiz PED stuff would be toned down a bit once Gary Sanchez starting playing at the greatest clip ever.....but he's clean, no doubt apparently, right?

Not sure I said that anywhere did I Vike - please refresh my memory on Sanchez show me where I said he wasn't using anything? Reality is there is no way on earth a guy on my team, your team or anyone's can do what he's doing without wondering. Cookie, JBjr or Sanchez all in the same boat - How's that? Anything to deflect from the guy you love so much huh? Nice try though look at the numbers they jump out like a sore thumb and I know it hurts. too bad he's the same guy as ARod as I told you all along sorry to ruin your day.

Reaction Score
I never said you said Sanchez uses - But you don't have to be 40 to be hitting like you're using PED's.....you can get called up from the minors and hit 19 HR's in 43 games....

Believe me, you're not ruining my day. I'm loving baseball right now.

Reaction Score
I never said you said Sanchez uses - But you don't have to be 40 to be hitting like you're using PED's.....you can get called up from the minors and hit 19 HR's in 43 games....

Believe me, you're not ruining my day. I'm loving baseball right now.

What am I stupid, that wasn't sarcastic about Sanchez? :rolleyes: Of course you don't need to be 40 there's a ton of guys coming up and guys who are playing who are lucky to be in the majors. But you asked I answered, I would never say never to Sanchez as a matter of fact he falls into the same "Guilty until proven innocent" based on MLB's neglect.

I really enjoyed baseball too and I still am as we had zero and just hanging like snots. Won't make it but the fact they're close makes it fun considering what we got rid of.

You guys should be enamored, now it seem Price is starting to look better and even rat face had another nice game. Need the arms to be good to move along because Lord knows you can hit.

Reaction Score
I guess if the thought is that you have to assume everyone is using thiese days, then on an even playing field Sanchez and Ortiz are exceeding.

Reaction Score
On NESN. Excellent show. Must see TV for Sox fans. Greatest Red Sox ever.

HOFer.
I know you aren't a kid but are you old enough to have seen Ted Williams? There is really no way to explain what an incredible hitter he was....best in history on any team and he never had near the protection as Ortiz. It was an event if he struck out. Defensive shift was invented for Williams.
Not knocking Ortiz whose clutch hitting continues to amaze me.

Reaction Score

Derek Jeter did them?

Reaction Score

Most importantly aside from this BS, your nephew a thrower or a good stick? Impressive finalists vying of this services, good luck to him should be an exciting adventure for the whole family. Any knocks on the minor league doors this year or just waiting?

Great stuff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom