Danny O | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Danny O

Reaction Score
Dan Orlovsky and Molly Qerim always talk up UConn whenever they get the chance. ESPN and the media in general is loaded with Syracuse alums, and people that obsess over Duke. It’s nice we have a couple people who are pumping up UConn to a national audience for once. ESPN has Rebecca Lobo as well, but she takes on a more neutral approach. Im not knocking her on that. I know she is being professional, but It Is nice to have Orlovsky and Molly Qerim being pro UConn.

Reaction Score
Dan O has become a complete and total squid. The guy actually thought that he should have some say in the coaching hire. Stick to running out of the back of the end zone, goof.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dan is the most visible alum of UConn football by far. I follow him on Twitter. Would be nice if he would voice some support for UConn football once in a while, but never does. Not even, when his guy, RE, was head coach. Mora has great credibility and seems to be a great recruiter. Hopefully, he can get mend that fence and get Dan back in the fold. We need all the positive support that we can get, especially from someone with his national presence.
But...he pulled an Orlovsky.

Reaction Score
Dan O has become a complete and total squid. The guy actually thought that he should have some say in the coaching hire. Stick to running out of the back of the end zone, goof.
Agree. I posted before that Michigan doesn’t ask Brady who to hire. So why should uconn ask Dan o

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I wouldn't go this far. But he does need to learn to keep his pie hole shut if wants to be involved with the FB program in the future. Unfortunately he burned his bridge with DB, but there will be other ADs.
Burning a bridge with DB the db is the last thing DO should worry about
I think DO will speak with Mora and let's see what comes out of that
DO was one of the best things ever to come out of UConn football in the years right before BE football (I think his senior year was in the BE) - he deserves a platform
Mora isn't stupid (we hope) and he needs as many supporters as he can muster
The best news are the really good Edsell recruits are recommitting

DB was having second thoughts and mandating Lashlee etc.
You guys and this Lashlee crap - there was no way, especially with DB getting on his knees and begging, that he was going to cross the Mississippi or the Mason/Dixon line, especially in New England again to coach- NO WAY

Reaction Score
DB was having second thoughts and mandating Lashlee etc.
You guys and this Lashlee crap - there was no way, especially with DB getting on his knees and begging, that he was going to cross the Mississippi or the Mason/Dixon line, especially in New England again to coach- NO WAY
Not talking about now. Simply that back when DB pulled Lashlee here with his Auburn connections, Edsall wasn’t in favor of the move and it was one of the reasons RE was badmouthing DB to DanO.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don’t think he expected Benedict to ask him who to hire.
Without checking to see if it was discussed previously in this thread, he tweeted out after the Mora hire he was upset that the AD didn’t consult with him.

Reaction Score
I will say one thing, I love Dan O as color commentator for football games. His knowledge of the game makes him very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Dan Orlovsky is a lunatic if he expected David Benedict to ask him who to hire.
Yes. Why would DB ask DO, UConn’s most visible and famous football alum, who is a widely respected football analyst and CT resident, who helped put UConn football on the map, for his two cents on the coaching hire or the direction of the program?

Reaction Score
smart little post by Nick Charlton. No sweat. I think I am gonna like our OC/QB whisperer

Reaction Score
Yes. Why would DB ask DO, UConn’s most visible and famous football alum, who is a widely respected football analyst and CT resident, who helped put UConn football on the map, for his two cents on the coaching hire or the direction of the program?

You still haven't made a decent argument for why DO deserves any input.

Benedict has a job to do, and if he gets this hire wrong, it's not Orlovsky who is going to be fired because of it.

Reaction Score
And for other former UConn coaches that coached when he played there. They might have been decent choices but needed less limited recommendations.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
So we should consult Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, etc when we want to hire the next hoops coach? It's DB's job on the line if the hire goes poorly, so he has a right to conduct it any way he seems fit. If he wants to shoulder all the responsibility, it's his call. Looking at previous hires, including outside opinions doesn't always result in the best hire (see PP & RE2.0 hires).
Seeing how well this has gone, why would we second guess or question the path DB has taken to get us here?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You still haven't made a decent argument for why DO deserves any input.

Benedict has a job to do, and if he gets this hire wrong, it's not Orlovsky who is going to be fired because of it.
He doesn't have to include DO, but it would have been nice if he had. Which is pretty much what DO said...it would have been nice to be involved in some small way.

The reason why is that DO is UConn football's most visible ambassador and having him feeling positively connected to the program is a good thing. A happy DO will potentially speak more positively or more often about UConn football on ESPN. UConn needs good publicity..DO can help there.

But...DO should have realized that calling DB a schmuck wasn't going to get him a seat at the table...so he shouldn't have whined when he wasn't included.

The good news is...Mora appears to have a good relationship with DO and this little blip won't have a long term impact on DO's relationship with UConn.

Reaction Score
Win Win

Charlton, and then Mora, get a little into Danny O's stream. We are gonna be fine. As long as we don't see a whiff of cubbybear

Reaction Score
To be fair to DO, at most major college programs, its customary for Athletic Department to reach out to the high profile alums to get there input on next coaching hires and the direction of programs. for instance Matt Leinart was being interviewed about Lincoln Riley being named the USC head coach and the hole search process, and said that the search committee and athletic department reached out to him and a bunch of other USC football alums sought their input on the direction of the program, and I am sure they got to see the short list of who the coaching candidates were, and who they thought would be the best fit to restore USC legacy. this is one of the things that UCONN has fails to do; is engage their high profile alumni, make them feel like they are still apart of the program.. and we wonder why none of they highly paid alumni come back and make donations to the program.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have to include DO, but it would have been nice if he had. Which is pretty much what DO said...it would have been nice to be involved in some small way.

The reason why is that DO is UConn football's most visible ambassador and having him feeling positively connected to the program is a good thing. A happy DO will potentially speak more positively or more often about UConn football on ESPN. UConn needs good publicity..DO can help there.

But...DO should have realized that calling DB a schmuck wasn't going to get him a seat at the table...so he shouldn't have whined when he wasn't included.

The good news is...Mora appears to have a good relationship with DO and this little blip won't have a long term impact on DO's relationship with UConn.

He put himself on the outside looking in. He calls the AD a schmuck and implies he's going to be replaced. With friends like that....

Put me in the camp that thanks Dan Orlovksy's hot takes on ESPN/Twitter is about 5,395 on the list of things that will improve UConn Football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom