Dan Hurley called it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley called it

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our roster construction is the best in the country.

We have one major hole right now: a big, mobile 4 who can pick up Karaban's slack when he's outmatched athletically some games, and to spell him for 10-15 minutes a game most nights. We have a guy coming back by the end of the month who fits that bill exactly.
Yes, and it really helps us be flexible on D. Clingan is in drop. Sanogo sometimes is, sometimes hard hedges, but the latter is much less high risk if Johnson is back there helping on the rim. We can really mix and match, playing super fast athletic teams, or super good shooting teams.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Our roster construction is the best in the country.

We have one major hole right now: a big, mobile 4 who can pick up Karaban's slack when he's outmatched athletically some games, and to spell him for 10-15 minutes a game most nights. We have a guy coming back by the end of the month who fits that bill exactly.
Great point. One of the starkest differences between this staff and the last was how strategically they recruit roster needs and plan for the future roster scenarios.

Really paying dividends

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Great point. One of the starkest differences between this staff and the last was how strategically they recruit roster needs and plan for the future roster scenarios.

Really paying dividends
In truth, the portal availability is a game changer in terms of roster management.

Although, our staff is quite adept in that arena.

Reaction Score
What Hurley said a while back…

“You better come get us now.”

Dan Hurley was right.

I hope we stabilize our PG play. If we do - holy crap!

Reaction Score
I’ve loved Dan as our coach since he got the job. My one criticism would have been in the past that he was a perfect guy to hype a team up, but sometimes you need the calming presence. Not saying he wasn’t that, but it wasn’t something that we saw a lot of evidence of between sideline and huddle behavior:

Tonight, he showed that extra gear. Down a few in the second just how he communicated & motivated the team. Thing of beauty. Even the tech & the timing of it seemed to be “great coach esque” vs loss of composure. Kudos to the team & staff for an excellent showing

Reaction Score
For those noticing he's a bit calmer on the sidelines, that was the plan all along.

From November 2018:

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley doesn’t hide his emotions very well on the sideline. If he’s angry, he’ll stomp his feet like a kid having a tantrum or yell so loud the entire arena can hear. When he’s excited, Hurley will hype up the crowd or go into the stands to help a player up. For him, it’s all part of the team-building process.

“A lot of opposing arenas are going to get some show this year,” Hurley joked. “When you’re first starting out and trying to build something, a mindset, a toughness and mentality, that’s how you have to coach your first year or two when you’re not quite as well-rounded in terms of having everything you need as a team. I’m going to have to will these guys through games, I’m going to have to coach every possession like it’s the end of the world.”

Once Hurley can get the players he needs and have them play the way he wants to, he’ll tone down the sideline antics a bit. But they won’t go away completely.

Once we become a more well-rounded team with an overall better everything, you’re not going to see that maniacal, sideline stalker,” he said. “You’ll see it at times when we need it but you won’t see it possession in, possession out.”
Thanks, this is what I was looking for a few weeks ago and what I had referenced in a recent post.

Screenshot 2022-12-21 1.01.20 PM.png

Reaction Score
In truth, the portal availability is a game changer in terms of roster management.

Although, our staff is quite adept in that arena.
I wasn’t initially a fan of the transfer portal but changed my mind for good last night seeing the immense contributions transfers had for both teams. We have four really capable transfers in our backcourt and from a depth and experience perspective, look similar to teams of yesteryear when players stayed 3-4 years. It’s impacting the quality of ball significantly for staffs using the portal adeptly.

Reaction Score
I kind of doubt it. The guy didn't get kicked out of the 'Nova game as some version of 3D chess. He's already been T'd up this year at the end of a cupcake game for no real reason.

It's easy to be less emotional on the sideline when you're winning by double digits every game.

He's an emotional coach. I have no problem with the antics. A timely tech or two never hurt anyone.

It’s not 3D chess, but it’s pretty much how he conducts himself as he’s putting together his teams/programs. It was the same arc at Rhode Island, although the made-up narrative by the end by people who didn’t get it was that he had to prove he could be “calmer” to get a better job (as if that would be a sticking point at UConn, of all places).

Winning helps, but he said it himself- when you know the talent isn’t quite there yet, every possession feels so important. It goes hand in hand- the winning comes from the player and roster development, which is when he thinks he can take a step back. The urgency is there no matter what, the desperation kind of fades away.

The way he coaches at his most hyped isn’t how he is- he’d likely be dead by now if that was the case. Thankfully, he’s all into prayer and meditation and that kind of stuff, too. It’s why that Jalen Adams to Boeheim clip is so funny- if you know him, you know that’s just so very him, condensed into a few seconds.

Reaction Score
It’s not 3D chess, but it’s pretty much how he conducts himself as he’s putting together his teams/programs. It was the same arc at Rhode Island, although the made-up narrative by the end by people who didn’t get it was that he had to prove he could be “calmer” to get a better job (as if that would be a sticking point at UConn, of all places).

Winning helps, but he said it himself- when you know the talent isn’t quite there yet, every possession feels so important. It goes hand in hand- the winning comes from the player and roster development, which is when he thinks he can take a step back. The urgency is there no matter what, the desperation kind of fades away.

The way he coaches at his most hyped isn’t how he is- he’d likely be dead by now if that was the case. Thankfully, he’s all into prayer and meditation and that kind of stuff, too. It’s why that Jalen Adams to Boeheim clip is so funny- if you know him, you know that’s just so very him, condensed into a few seconds.
This is really it. Our margin for error was so slim last couple years, everything was magnified, from poor use of timeouts to ineffective plays coming out of the huddle. Talent and depth clear a lot of that up. We've seen some great OOB plays this year. Are the plays different, or are the players executing them better? Takes a long time to turn over an entire roster. He's getting his guys now and the results are coming.

I was definitely a critic of his in game coaching last couple of years, but now that he has talent, and HIS guys, it's pretty clear he kinda knows what he's doing.

Reaction Score
My word, I keep forgetting and then remembering and then forgetting about Samson. If he comes in and is able to fill that need, holy sh…
Think people forget that Hurley said at the end of the pre-season that Hawkins and Johnson were the best players in practice at the start of the season…if Johnson can start playing like that, I agree….wow!

Reaction Score
I wasn’t initially a fan of the transfer portal but changed my mind for good last night seeing the immense contributions transfers had for both teams. We have four really capable transfers in our backcourt and from a depth and experience perspective, look similar to teams of yesteryear when players stayed 3-4 years. It’s impacting the quality of ball significantly for staffs using the portal adeptly.

The portal is good for elite teams like UConn. But it punishes most of college basketball. So, I'm for it.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
our PG was our leading scorer and had 7 assists.
Right. We got a 6'5" point gaurd with experience that does a little bit of everything. Then you have a guy that is super tough on the ball to give him a rest in Diarra, you got Andre whenever needed, or Allene who has shown some real promise. I dont know why everyone is so concerned with the point gaurd role. I think we are in pretty good shape. As much as I liked RJ Cole, I think we are in a better position this year at the point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Year 5 of the rebuild is the “Coked Out Bear Phase”
I have to admit, I had some doubts in year one, which was the “Stoned Lemur Phase. “

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom