D1 Council Endorses Unlimited Transfers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

D1 Council Endorses Unlimited Transfers

Reaction Score
This is a very different point than:

"Really benefits the student athletes, which is all that should really matter."

And your next point (the continued scholarship) requires money coming from somewhere, and thats always tricky too.
Using the term Student Athlete and unlimited transfer as a benefit to the student athlete in the same sentence is Orwellian Doublespeak
If you ever transferred or had a kid thst trsnsferred than you almost automatically adding a year to get a degree . Multiple transfers will insure that kid will never get a degree.
The ones that benefit are the more desirable athletic programs at the expense of less desirable. Calling someone who transfers annually a student is a joke.. He is a quasi professional athlete.
Everyone knows it except the kid who was done a huge disservice.

Reaction Score
If that's the biggest concern, then approving this is a no-brainer. If you enter the portal and don't get an offer, I'm thinking your future isn't in hoop. It's sad maybe if a player makes a poor decision, it's not a tragedy. The old way, you have coaches like Martelli screwing players for no good reason.

You're right, but I don't think the players would see it that way. But that is a good point, if this is the biggest concern then we're in a good spot

Reaction Score
Using the term Student Athlete and unlimited transfer as a benefit to the student athlete in the same sentence is Orwellian Doublespeak
If you ever transferred or had a kid thst trsnsferred than you almost automatically adding a year to get a degree . Multiple transfers will insure that kid will never get a degree.
The ones that benefit are the more desirable athletic programs at the expense of less desirable. Calling someone who transfers annually a student is a joke.. He is a quasi professional athlete.
Everyone knows it except the kid who was done a huge disservice.
This is NOT about students. Not for a second. That was one Of the things the 1-year rule was supposed to insure…that the players considered the Impact on their academic careers. Academic considerations have essentially been taken off the table in the name of money. And for the record, very few basketball players who stay past their freshman year are NBA bound. The NBA drafts +-60 players Annually. There are about 4200 D1 hoop players. So you probably ain’t going to the league even if you are a star. Over the past dozen years, the almost all of the top 10 college players drafted have been freshmen. So if you have been there for 4 years, you probably ain’t going to the league. It’s possible of course, just not likely. If you want to travel, and learn a new language like Greek, Chinese, Russian, Norwegian, whatever they speak in Indonesia, and make $2-3000/month, that’s great. But you better have a backup plan. And after transferring 3 times in 4 years, it probably won’t be a college degree.

Reaction Score
I would absolutely be in favor of kids transferring if their coach leaves with no penalty, also once no matter what with no penalty.

After that they should have to sit out a year -- can't have free agency here.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I recall a documentary on 1970's free agency suggesting that the MLB owners were OK with 100% annual free agency.

The suggestion was that with all players seeking a roster spot each year, the demand would be suppressed (over-supply if talent available each year). It would not hurt that "bad" long term contracts would be eliminated.

Not sure how this would have played out in MLB - I guess we will find out in NCAA Hoop & football.

I find it curious that most people seem more OK with the concept of a Student Athlete losing a scholarship due to academics (not performing in the classroom), rather than not proving to be competitive at their sport (not performing on the field). One seen as cut throat & the other dismissed that the SA did not work hard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I recall a documentary on 1970's free agency suggesting that the MLB owners were OK with 100% annual free agency.
I'm not sure about that. I remember Charley Finley proposing that and the attitude being "there goes Charlie again."

Reaction Score
This goes both ways. The trade-off is that after identifying an under recruited kid and coaching him up & developing him, he becomes a free agent for the next level.

This is just another rule that benefits the big guys. Next will be the expansion of rosters so they can keep more talent for themselves
Expanding rosters doesn't make sense. Despite all the hype they get even for sitting on the bench, a kid isn't going to want to go to Kentucky to be the 13th man.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If that's the biggest concern, then approving this is a no-brainer. If you enter the portal and don't get an offer, I'm thinking your future isn't in hoop. It's sad maybe if a player makes a poor decision, it's not a tragedy. The old way, you have coaches like Martelli screwing players for no good reason.
Yeah but Martelli was by far the exception rather than the rule. I really lost a lot of respect for him after that BS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom