Cuse to leave BE in 2013 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cuse to leave BE in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MONEY!!!!! MONEY, PEOPLE!!!! What stability problem did we have if Pitt and Cuse stay put, huh? What stability problem did the Big East have if Pitt's number 1 man didn't talk the Big East leadership out of a contract that would have landed them approx. 13 million per team? And yes, you are right; UConn probalby would have taken it too. And it would have been about......wait for it.....MONEY!!!!

Yeah, they'll make more money, that's obviuos, they also get a seat at the table, assuming they can turn their football program around.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It doesn't seem to bother BCU, this wasn't about basketball, basketball was just collateral damage.

Am I talking to a wall here, people? Do you believe in your mind that BCU felt about the Big East what Syracuse and UConn felt about it? Are you serious? Do you believe that BCU leaving the Big East wasn't about money??? Holy Christ, guys! C'mon!

Reaction Score
I have considered their fan demographic plenty. My older brother is a diehard Syracuse fan and alum, and when he heard they were leaving the Big East, it was like someone shot his dog. I have seen fans on their message board say things like, "I know it was the right move, but..." I've seen their fans post stuff like that even on the Big East blog for ESPN with that dope Adelman at the helm. That fanbase took a lot of pride in being part of the Big East and going down to the Garden during the bball tourney time. A gigantic part of their identity is lost, and they know it...
Ich bin ein Cuse!

I'm a Cuse fan and initially lots of us said those things...we'll still miss the BE for Hoops and MSG in particular but FB pays the bills. And most of us are now looking forward to playing UNC, Duke and MD in hoops and hopeful a few old BE schools stay on our hoops schedule.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You never take the first offer. Everyone knows that, and everyone at the time agreed with that move, including me. Criticizing them for turning it down is moving the goalposts. The ACC never gets a bigger contract if Pitt stays. There is no bigger contract. It, literally, would not exist.

Why'd they want to leave?

He helped turn down the offer with the full knowledge that they were leaving!!!! What don't you get about that?? Is this board serious anymore? Turn down the first offer.....He knew it was going to be his last offer, too!!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He helped turn down the offer with the full knowledge that they were leaving!!!! What don't you get about that?? Is this board serious anymore? Turn down the first offer.....He knew it was going to be his last offer, too!!

That's a hell of a claim you're making.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Ich bin ein Cuse!

I'm a Cuse fan and initially lots of us said those things...we'll still miss the BE for Hoops and MSG in particular but FB pays the bills. And most of us are now looking forward to playing UNC, Duke and MD in hoops and hopeful a few old BE schools stay on our hoops schedule.

Okay! So you understand what I'm talking about! So you must understand that it's not about "je nais se quoi" like someone else mentioned, but rather, that it's about the money. I know lots of you felt that way, because I saw it and in part lived it. Don't be afraid to speak up, 'Cuse! It's okay. We understand...

Reaction Score
Am I talking to a wall here, people? Do you believe in your mind that BCU felt about the Big East what Syracuse and UConn felt about it? Are you serious? Do you believe that BCU leaving the Big East wasn't about money??? Holy Christ, guys! C'mon!

Dan, I understand your point, and you are right, but sometimes it's about business and not personal, they left, we're stuck, and that's it. We need to beat the snot out of both of them and make sure they don't leave with a BE champ, not worried about Cuse, but we need to beat down Pitt and that won't be easy.

Reaction Score
Okay! So you understand what I'm talking about! So you must understand that it's not about "je nais se quoi" like someone else mentioned, but rather, that it's about the money. I know lots of you felt that way, because I saw it and in part lived it. Don't be afraid to speak up, 'Cuse! It's okay. We understand...
I think it is about both money and prestige....hard to quantify but I think both you and ZLS have valid points...I'm just not convinced Pitt knew about a firm offer before a few days before the acceptance.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ich bin ein Cuse!

if uconn and nd ever did join the acc like we have talked about, the acc would be stupid not to take over msg down the road. unc and duke would travel with no problem. md would also when they are good and its also a good thing for pitt/bc/uva/vt. espn could and would pump the crap out of it and go all out. it would be the mecca of tneys and be a tv monster. easy sellouts etc...just imagine a thursday with unc/duke/cuse/uconn/pitt/nd/md/? it would be unreal. no way anyone could ever knock that type of setup.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's a hell of a claim you're making.

http://pghfanatic.blogspot.com/2011/09/nordys-big-move.html

http://communityvoices.sites.post-g...ns-to-acc-louisville-ad-rips-pitts-nordenberg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...destroyed-college-basketball-and-the-big-east

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...chancellor-mark-nordenberg-defends-position/1

That was what, 7 minutes worth on a Google search? I really like the first one, because it's a Pitt guy writing about Nordenberg doing it. I have indeed made one hell of a claim, but I hope you'll agree that I backed it up... :confused:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, I understand your point, and you are right, but sometimes it's about business and not personal, they left, we're stuck, and that's it. We need to beat the snot out of both of them and make sure they don't leave with a BE champ, not worried about Cuse, but we need to beat down Pitt and that won't be easy.

I never said it was personal. In fact, I'm quite sure that when they decided to leave, it was not because of their competition. It was because of money. Plain. Simple.

Reaction Score
Putting basketball first is what got the BE in to the position it is in now and may be the issue that ultimately impacts the ACC in a negative way. Unfortunately, collegiate athletics is about football, and nothing else.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
First can we define better? Who would beat who on a neutral field?

If so, yes those 3, you can add VT and I love the work London is doing at UVA so I'd throw them in there. They wouldn't be able to stop GT what am I up to 6 already?

UCF would finish in line with BC/MD/Duke this year if they were in the ACC

ok.
-i think uva is on a huge climb right now also but they aren't there yet. ppl here scratch there head about me being so happy about our series with them soon and its because they will be a top25 team at that point inho. but not next year.
-i think ucf is crashing the bcs so we will see....i think they can beat mizzu at home and go up to tosu and put up a fight and possibly win it. if they do then it gets interesting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I know is that I hate BCU now more than ever. If the Big East stayed together it would have been bigger than ever, way bigger than the ACC. A legit Power League that brought in the most populous region's eyeballs. It was real-life example of The Prisoner's Dilemma. If eveyone sticks together they everyone wins. But BCU just had to lie and backstab. Of course they had no other choice, it's they way they were brought up.

Reaction Score
All I know is that I hate BCU now more than ever. If the Big East stayed together it would have been bigger than ever, way bigger than the ACC. A legit Power League that brought in the most populous region's eyeballs. It was real-life example of The Prisoner's Dilemma. If eveyone sticks together they everyone wins. But BCU just had to lie and backstab. Of course they had no other choice, it's they way they were brought up.

Was this all really BCU's fault or was Mike Tranghese asleep at the wheel? There were signs, the SEC and Big 8 raided the SWC, the ACC had mentioned that it was interested in Miami, this was more a result of piss poor leadership, don't blame a school for jumping because it just as well could have been us instead of Pitt that is going to the ACC. Bringing in Depaul and Marquett and hiring Marinatto just more the problems worse.

Reaction Score
If you think that Pitt, Cuse, and WVU left for #$king "je ne sais quoi" instead of the millions of dollars, then you are a clown. Plain and simple, and it won't be worth it for me to try to argue with that string of logic. And OF COURSE WVU left after Pitt and Cuse!!! That's why they knew they would make EVEN LESS MONEY THAN BEFORE PITT AND CUSE BOLTED!!! So did they really have a choice when the Big12 came knocking?? Was it $#king "je ne sais quoi" of playing against Kansas, Iowa State, and Baylor that got them to go??? Really, dude. C'mon!

Dan, here is one issue on which you and I will (who cares whether I agree, really?) never agree on. Cuse, Pitt and, especially WVU left because they perceive BE management as being totally unsuited for the present environment. Bad management means that other issues like money, ratings, etc. cannot be fixed.

Reaction Score
We can play ooc if u miss them that much already. Ppl got over bc and miami ditching, i think u can do it again. Just look at the bball and fball teams at those schools post big east. Private schools go to die in the acc. Public schools rise in the big east.
================================
Who said I miss them?OOC schedules never stand up over time and they r not the same as having a legit matchup every year against a conference rival. And also, who the hell ever cared about Miami in hoops? We didnt! They were always a joke as far as I'm concerned on the hard court, but they brought legitimacy to the BE in Football at the time. Little did we know that it was going on behind the scenes in "Thugville" Losing Miami and VTech never bothered me, those teams didn't bring much value at MSG over Cuse,GTown etc.... They were always outsiders, kind of like Pitt and Cuse will be from now on in the ACC, and BC STILL is.

Reaction Score
Minnesota, North Carolina and Illinois just completed/are completing massive stadium expansions that make Boise State look like a speck. They all have much, much larger fanbases than Boise State, even though BSU would beat any of them by 60. They have more influence. They're also actual universities, unlike the Xerox Diploma Mill known as Boise State "University".
==========================================
North Carolina is NOT selling their stadium out and didnt sell out every game prior to the expansion! This was why many of the Rams Club Members and Alum were against moving forward with the expansion in the first place, because it cost to much and wasnt necessary. The AD and University moved forward anyway. Not sure what your point is as far as larger fan bases go but I have been to 5 games in Chapel Hill prior to the expansion, and only three of them were sold out so not really a good comparrison. Also, they did not show up at ALL w/ their fan base here in CT two years ago either, so one could say their fans are not as die hard in FB as they are in hoops. I had several friends/UNC Alums up for that game and they were embarrassed by the poor showing of their fellow Heels! In fact, Last years fans base from Iowa State blew the Tar Heel contingency away by a large margin!! Give the Boise fans a few years and they will contend with a lot of programs.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, here is one issue on which you and I will (who cares whether I agree, really?) never agree on. Cuse, Pitt and, especially WVU left because they perceive BE management as being totally unsuited for the present environment. Bad management means that other issues like money, ratings, etc. cannot be fixed.

But the question is: what is the difference between management being unsuited to bring in more money and simply not having more money? In other words, who cares whether it was mismanaged or not; the bottom line is that the Big12 offered WVU a $#it-ton more money than the Big East did. This wasn't done over personality types.....it was done over MONEY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom