Curiosity - UConn Bench location @ Rent | The Boneyard

Curiosity - UConn Bench location @ Rent

Reaction Score
Just curious - does anyone know why UConn stands on the far sideline, for their home games? typically home team gets the home stands with the press box and the 50-yard line logo facing them. But we are on the visitor side.

sun angle? otherwise advantage? just seems weird.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just curious - does anyone know why UConn stands on the far sideline, for their home games? typically home team gets the home stands with the press box and the 50-yard line logo facing them. But we are on the visitor side.

sun angle? otherwise advantage? just seems weird.
That's how it was originally. I believe it took only one cold game on a sunny day where the shady side was a minimum of 25 degrees colder to switch sides the next year.

Reaction Score
That's how it was originally. I believe it took only one cold game on a sunny day where the shady side was a minimum of 25 degrees colder to switch sides the next year.
That seems like it played a role.

Not sure if the athletic department is that savvy but...the TV cameras are on the press box side. So making the opposite sideline the home sideline which fills up with parents and friends of the programs makes a fuller looking stadium on TV. Plus the hero shot is of the UConn sideline.

Temple also has their bench opposite the press box and I believe they did it because The Link looked completely on TV when they were on the press box side.

Reaction Score
Also the tunnel each team goes out of is on their respective sides of the field. Seems like it just makes sense the way the stadium was made. Anyone remember the last time they were on the near side?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m on that side. Being on the sunny side is a double edged sword. The early season games can roasting. Definitely better late season. Of course night games it’s a wash. Now there are so few October home games - sucks - so a few colder weather games late season where the sun helps.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m on that side. Being on the sunny side is a double edged sword. The early season games can roasting. Definitely better late season. Of course night games it’s a wash. Now there are so few October home games - sucks - so a few colder weather games late season where the sun helps.
When the Rent opened they had three year commitments. For the first three years we roasted in the sun quite often, so I moved to 241 beginning in 2006 (and have been there since). Early in the season it is far better being in front of the press box, later in the year it's better being in the sun, but you can always dress for the weather. You can always add layers when it's cold. During hot September games there are limits to how much you can remove.

Reaction Score
Lew Perkins had the home team bench changed from the press box side of the field to the opposite side for television purposes at Memorial Stadium early in the FHCRE-1 era. It followed the then-NFL model. The Huskies bench has been on the opposite side even since.

Reaction Score
It was solely for TV purposes and changed the year Edsall came in. Always wanted the team facing the cameras in the press box and it was implemented in 1999 while still in Memorial stadium.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was solely for TV purposes and changed the year Edsall came in. Always wanted the team facing the cameras in the press box and it was implemented in 1999 while still in Memorial stadium.
The first year in The Rent the Huskies were on the shady side.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
UConn loves the noon games in the sun sporting their all blue uneys. SMH.

Reaction Score
The first year in The Rent the Huskies were on the shady side.
Couldn't not remember that, so I pulled out my program from the Indiana game. Does not mention anywhere in there (that I saw) which sides were home and away. I am not good a remembering these type of things.
20230813_184704.jpg

Reaction Score
That seems like it played a role.

Not sure if the athletic department is that savvy but...the TV cameras are on the press box side. So making the opposite sideline the home sideline which fills up with parents and friends of the programs makes a fuller looking stadium on TV. Plus the hero shot is of the UConn sideline.

Temple also has their bench opposite the press box and I believe they did it because The Link looked completely on TV when they were on the press box side.
Couldn't not remember that, so I pulled out my program from the Indiana game. Does not mention anywhere in there (that I saw) which sides were home and away. I am not good a remembering these type of things. View attachment 90616
I’ve always been on the press box side and that’s always where the visitors are.
Both a weather advantage on cold days (which is hard to believe if you’ve never been in the Rent but trust me — is a thing) and why wouldn’t you want the cameras pointed at your bench and your core fans.

Reaction Score
There is video evidence in tcf's site for the Indiana 2003 game. UConn on side opposite the press box. In 2000 the USF team was on the visitor's side at Memorial, the 2022 Ball State team was on the home field via images of that game.

Reaction Score
The stadium architects may have intended for the home team to be on the press box side. IIRC ... someone in the AD switched that up long before the innagural game vs Indiana. I don't believe UConn has ever been on the press box side.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Didn't they flip sides at Memorial Stadium? I remember buying tickets opposite the press box there.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I think the change of the bench to be opposite the press box was done prior to the move to the Rent. Just watched TC's late TD vs Hoosiers. UConn bench on top of the screen. Indiana white jerseys on the bottom of your tv screen.

Reaction Score
Also the tunnel each team goes out of is on their respective sides of the field. Seems like it just makes sense the way the stadium was made. Anyone remember the last time they were on the near side?
I've been a season ticket holder since 2000, when the Rent opened in 2004, I want to say Uconn was on the sunny side of the stadium even then and I can't really remember a game when they were on the shady side... But I could be wrong

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom