CT High School Football... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

CT High School Football...

Reaction Score
Should Stonington play Danbury, the largest school in the state? Or LL Ludlowe? Danbury btw has already lost this year decisively to two Class S schools, and they don't even play St. Joe's this year. The FCIAC has two class S schools right now, and both more than hold their own in the toughest league in the state. A successful football program has little to do with school boy population, but has everything to do with great coaching, support by the town, school and alumni, and youth programs. Of the two greatest teams in state history, one was Class S and the other was Class M. I hope Stonington fires their coach. Your theory is bull....s..hit
You said no coaches were complaining about having to play up. Here is the example that proves you are wrong.

Danbury played Cap Prep which recruits and Trinity which recruits. They're not remotely comparable to Stonington and they would play up in my version of the district model

Reaction Score
You said no coaches were complaining about having to play up. Here is the example that proves you are wrong.

Danbury played Cap Prep which recruits and Trinity which recruits. They're not remotely comparable to Stonington and they would play up in my version of the district model
Give up Mickey, the whole gist of the article is about a LL School recruiting from many surrounding towns in Eastern Connecticut including Stonington!!! Take a Class S school that recruits (Ansonia, St Joe's, Trinity Catholic, Cap Prep) and have them play a LL School that recruits, namely NFA!!! Good games I would think. Your theory is garbage.

Reaction Score
Give up Mickey, the whole gist of the article is about a LL School recruiting from many surrounding towns in Eastern Connecticut including Stonington!!! Take a Class S school that recruits (Ansonia, St Joe's, Trinity Catholic, Cap Prep) and have them play a LL School that recruits, namely NFA!!! Good games I would think. Your theory is garbage.
lol why do you refer to it as a "theory?" it's an opinion and I'm not even close to the only person who wants it to happen.

Reaction Score

Here’s the problem I have with this. Why did the coach wait until now to voice his displeasure with scheduling NFA? The schedule was finalized months ago. Furthermore, they were holding their own into the second half. It’s not like they were getting buried. So what changed during the game, other then a pick six late in the 3Q putting NFA up 17-0, that set the coach off? Just seems strange to me. If you’re really concerned about safety....forfeit the game in the name of safety. If safety is that much of a concern don’t even start the game. Don’t show up. But they did and his kids were competing. So what if you don’t win. Your kids just went toe to-toe with NFA. Build on that. Instead the coach made it about himself, not the kids. It’s obvious the coach took it upon himself to “wave the white flag”. The players weren’t happy about it, and he didn’t care how they felt. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more to this story still to come. Including, the coach being relieved of his duties.

Things just seem off to me....

Reaction Score
Take a Class S school that recruits (Ansonia, St Joe's, Trinity Catholic, Cap Prep) and have them play a LL School that recruits, namely NFA!!!
ANSONIA DOESN’T RECRUIT!!! Kids can go to school there because they are an Open Choice participant.

Stop calling it recruiting. They accept Open Choice kids whose parents choose to not send them to inner city public schools. It costs them nothing to have their kids attend a safer public school environment, with kids of the same socioeconomic background and positive influences. Most of us have no idea what these kids deal with on a daily basis at home. Does football benefit from it? Sure, but far less then you would think. How are they recruiting when they have a roster of 48 that includes freshmen?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here’s the problem I have with this. Why did the coach wait until now to voice his displeasure with scheduling NFA? The schedule was finalized months ago. Furthermore, they were holding their own into the second half. It’s not like they were getting buried. So what changed during the game, other then a pick six late in the 3Q putting NFA up 17-0, that set the coach off? Just seems strange to me. If you’re really concerned about safety....forfeit the game in the name of safety. If safety is that much of a concern don’t even start the game. Don’t show up. But they did and his kids were competing. So what if you don’t win. Your kids just went toe to-toe with NFA. Build on that. Instead the coach made it about himself, not the kids. It’s obvious the coach took it upon himself to “wave the white flag”. The players weren’t happy about it, and he didn’t care how they felt. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more to this story still to come. Including, the coach being relieved of his duties.

I think there were injuries and he was down to JV kids that would have to play against varsity kids from NFA

Reaction Score
ANSONIA DOESN’T RECRUIT!!! Kids can go to school there because they are an Open Choice participant.
I mean... does that mean they're not out talking to kids and their parents within the open choice towns? that's still recruiting. If the St. Joes coach goes to a bridgeport pop warner game and talks to a kid or his parents about going to St. Joes, that's recruiting even though they're a private school. If they were (self) reported doing that they'd have to forfeit their season.

Reaction Score

This may have had something to do w/ the sudden stand (from links in the story):

>>At that point, Stonington was without injured backs Parrilla and Riley Burnside and a couple of linemen. Others were winded from playing offense and defense on a hot day on the turf.<<

>>But everything Massengale hated about this game seemed to rear its ugly head on Saturday: his two-way players becoming fatigued, injuries mounting to key players on a hotter than normal day for football, an opponent with an 80-man roster, most players either playing just on offense, defense or special teams. It was a perfect storm. And Massengale had seen enough. <<

Ballsy move to say the least...

Reaction Score
To me, that’s on the coach for not properly training his kids to play two ways, especially with a limited roster. Injuries are part of the game and you have to prepare for that. Injures are also a product of poor physical preparation and usually occur when fatigue sets in. A good training program can minimize the occurrence of those injures. I know at Ansonia they are as physically prepared as any team in the state. They train year-round, including during the season to ensure their kids are minimizing the risk of injury and maintaining their strength and endurance throughout the season.

Reaction Score
LOL @huskyrob1 getting ripped to shreds by SPB and Matt Glasz in those comment sections. Sucks to suck, Rob

Reaction Score
And the beat goes on.....although Dobbs has done the most damage, six different players have accounted for Ansonia’s 8 first half TDs.

Love when they wear the all white unis.....

EDIT: Ansonia 61, Seymour 6 FINAL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crazy night in CTHSFB....
  • #2 Southington and #3 West Haven (38-28, loss to Shelton) both fall.
  • Conard beats previously unbeaten South Windsor
  • Valley Regional knocks off unbeaten Cromwell/Portland in OT
  • NFA beats East Lyme
  • Sheehan beats previously unbeaten Plainfield
Crazy is also the word in the CIAC state playoff rankings after the past couple of weeks. West Haven and especially Southington are in danger of not making the LL playoffs depending on where the chips fall going forward. The L, M, and S divisions also are very fluid with upwards of 12 to 14 teams in those divisions still having a shot at getting in. Alot can change in all four divisions in the next few weeks. Naugatuck, right now undefeated and ranked #3 in LL, still has two very tough games against Class M Wolcott and Class S Ansonia. While Southington because of last night's loss has dropped to #8 in the LL rankings with two very tough games remaining against South Windsor and Cheshire. West Haven, after last night's loss sits at #5 in LL rankings but has two very tough games remaining against Xavier and Fairfield Prep (which sits right now at #9 in the LL rankings). East Hartford sits at #7 now after beating Southington last night but could drop right back out if they lose to New Britain next week. That's just LL, as already said things are just as fluid in the other three divisions. What also will be interesting to see is if the biased writers in the Register-Gametime state poll keep trying to prop up Southington and West Haven after last night's losses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crazy is also the word in the CIAC state playoff rankings after the past couple of weeks. West Haven and especially Southington are in danger of not making the LL playoffs depending on where the chips fall going forward. The L, M, and S divisions also are very fluid with upwards of 12 to 14 teams in those divisions still having a shot at getting in. Alot can change in all four divisions in the next few weeks. Naugatuck, right now undefeated and ranked #3 in LL, still has two very tough games against Class M Wolcott and Class S Ansonia. While Southington because of last night's loss has dropped to #8 in the LL rankings with two very tough games remaining against South Windsor and Cheshire. West Haven, after last night's loss sits at #5 in LL rankings but has two very tough games remaining against Xavier and Fairfield Prep (which sits right now at #9 in the LL rankings). East Hartford sits at #7 now after beating Southington last night but could drop right back out if they lose to New Britain next week. That's just LL, as already said things are just as fluid in the other three divisions.
You know what fixes that?

District model :D:D:D

Reaction Score
You know what fixes that?

District model :D:D:D
I agree it would right a couple of inequities like Naugatuck and NFA, but under the district model all the excitement generated at this time of year with different sized schools playing each other for a chance to make the playoffs goes away, and even in the present system overated teams like NFA and Naugatuck eventually get exposed anyway, for the most part. All the district model would do IMHO is create one giant yawn at this time of the year with poorly attended games. With the present system all those decades long cross county and cross town rivalries remain. I'm not so sure the district model wouldn't create some inequities of it's own, since the data points from playing larger schools needed in the state division playoffs in class M and class S would be much less to see who is for real and who isn't in class M and class S, this would also make the final state poll a joke in my view. IMO, if the district model had been implemented back in 1995, the great class S Bloomfield High teams never would have gotten the recognition in the final state poll that it richly deserved, same for the class M New Canaan teams in the late 60's and early 70's, or the great Derby teams, simply because the data points wouldn't be there. Many state writers rank those teams as the greatest in state history, REGARDLESS of class, BECAUSE the data points against larger schools are there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree it would right a couple of inequities like Naugatuck and NFA, but under the district model all the excitement generated at this time of year with different sized schools playing each other for a chance to make the playoffs goes away, and even in the present system overated teams like NFA and Naugatuck eventually get exposed anyway. All the district model would do IMHO is create one giant yawn at this time of the year with poorly attended games. With the present system all those decades long cross county and cross town rivalries remain. I'm not so sure the district model wouldn't create some inequities of it's own, since the data points from playing larger schools needed in the state division playoffs in class M and class S would be much less to see who is for real and who isn't, this would also make the final state poll a joke in my view. IMO, if the district model had been implemented back in 1995, the great class S Bloomfield High teams never would have gotten the recognition in the final state poll that it richly deserved, same for the class M New Canaan teams in the late 60's and early 70's, or the great Derby teams, simply because the data points wouldn't be there.

There are teams that still don't get nearly the respect they deserve in the polls, though, and you're never going to fix that. Many of the people that vote are not seeing one game every week nevermind 2-3-4 etc. I see more teams than half of the voters in the poll. What the district model does do is get rid of points, gives you a division championship that actually means something, and guarantees that the best team or two in every division makes the playoffs, which would reward the harder divisions. Again, you're more worried about finding out the top 10 teams in the state instead of giving everyone a level playing field and making it more equitable for all teams instead of just a couple programs.

Reaction Score
Again, you're more worried about finding out the top 10 teams in the state instead of giving everyone a level playing field and making it more equitable for all teams instead of just a couple programs.
Yes, you're right, I absolutely am worried about that under the district model. I could care less if Stonington goes 1-10 under the present system or 5-6 or 4-7 under the district model, it doesn't prove anything, they still suck, while the Class S and Class M programs near the top of their respective divisions get hurt big-time because the data points from playing larger schools in their respective leagues are no longer there.

Last edited:

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Live in southington team does the same thing year in and year out , they run through a weak conference and get blown up in states hopefully EH loss is a wake up call for some. CCC conference needs to mix schedule up a bit and incorporate some better out of conference games

Reaction Score
Live in southington team does the same thing year in and year out , they run through a weak conference and get blown up in states hopefully EH loss is a wake up call for some. CCC conference needs to mix schedule up a bit and incorporate some better out of conference games
Southington and Windsor ARE in the same conference, are always ranked in the state poll and figure prominently in post season play but almost never play each other. CCC leadership should insist that they play, it's better in the long run for the conference as a whole, and better for those two teams as a tune-up for the playoffs. Expect huge crowds if they played every year.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Southington and Windsor ARE in the same conference, are always ranked in the state poll and figure prominently in post season play but almost never play each other. CCC leadership should insist that they play, it's better in the long run for the conference as a whole, and better for those two teams as a tune-up for the playoffs. Expect huge crowds if they played every year.
Don’t get me wrong I support SHS football my kids attend every game but it sometimes floors me that the people in town are blown away by how bad they get crushed in the states... it’s like HELLO!! their competition stinks

Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong I support SHS football my kids attend every game but it sometimes floors me that the people in town are blown away by how bad they get crushed in the states... it’s like HELLO!! their competition stinks
Southington just keeps running into Darien. Their teams have been really good.

The CCC as a whole is a 2nd tier conference behind the FCIAC and SCC, but their scheduling is horrendous. The best teams never play each other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom