Crystal's season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crystal's season

Reaction Score
Man, I was reading all the comments I was formulating my input and then I read yours and my thunder was taken! You nailed it. Not sure if it's great minds think alike or just two knuckleheads in their own world, but I agree with you.

Now from her use lately, Broadway also nailed it, she's been significantly better and is truly trusted. I also think this team has proven "point guards? Point guards? We don't need no stinkin point guards" we have 6 point guards! Didn't we just set the season assist record? With only Soniya graduating, is the formula about to change?

Crystal Dangerfield has been as good as advertised on the Best team in the country. Just like KLS and Pheesa (Geno wore me down so I changed from calling her NC) they played key secondary roles last year but were less heralded as Freshman than other program freshman like Durr, Anegwe and Laksa however look this year, those 3 and any other Soph's can't touch them in results. So while Slocom and Ionescu may be ahead of Crystal Dangerfield now, I suspect her growth will pass them. Just look at Geno's track record with this.

Let's tonight how she handles Morgan William as our test case!
I don't question Crystal Dangerfield's skills, I question her mindset and her natural instincts. She seems to go off the reservation periodically and it's typically counterproductive to what UConn basketball is all about. I think Geno tolerates a little individuality and maybe even likes it from time to time but as has been mentioned, her's has had mixed results, at best.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There was a lot of "buzz" and anticipation about Dangerfield's arrival on campus. She was highly touted. Recognized as the best guard in her class, and number three overall, behind Lauren Cox (Baylor) and Joyner Holmes (Texas). During the summer, several boneyard posters predicted/anticipated that she could possibly break into the starting line up sometime during the second half of the season. Obviously, they had no way of knowing Saniya Chong was going to make her break through, and become the permanent 5th cog in the starting rotation, thereby leaving Crystal on the outside looking in.

The breakout game she had against Baylor couldn't have come at a better time. Her 19 point debut was a thing of beauty. She also had 5 assists - 4 rebounds and only 1 turnover in 30 minutes of play. As I recall, Gabby got into early foul trouble in the first quarter, and sat out most of the first half. As I reviewed the box score of that game, I noticed an oddity. Gabby had 14 points, but not a single rebound (Collier had 11). Without Crystal's 19 points, UConn does not win this game. On the next Geno Auriemma Show, a clip was shown of Geno telling Crystal to "Win the game of us Crystal, win the game for us". He knew she was hot, scoring at will, and he desperately needed her to continue her unbridled assault on Baylor. The BIG 3 (Samuelson, Williams & Collier) only accounted for 40 points that game. He needed additional production from somebody else, she came through for him.

During those 30 minutes, Dangerfield showed her team, coaches and the world (nationally televised game) what she could do. We all became instant Dangerfield fans.
Giddy over the fact that we had found our point guard for the next 4 years. Unfortunately, her 30 minutes of fame was short lived, as she fell back to earth encountering problems of inconsistency, power shortages (effort in practice), and other frailties that all freshmen encounter that first year, as they make the transition from high school to division 1 college competition.

During a mid-season interview, Dangerfield said that nothing she did or experienced in high school or AAU competition (remember she convalesced during the summer after a minor surgery), prepared her for what she had to go through those first few weeks of official practice at UConn. Her struggles continued into the second half of the season. She slowly continued to get better and showed flashes of brilliance and the ability to make pin-point "no-look" passes to wide open teammates with ease.

She made her greatest strides when she replaced Nurse in the starting lineup for 5 games, as Kia rehabed her foot injury. Crystal settled down and settled in, knowing Geno was not going to pull her if she made a mistake. Those 4-5 games were a blessing in disguise for her. Those games propelled her to a place where Geno could now trust her in BIG games, or during crunch time.

I had no expectations for Dangerfield this year. She was a freshmen. I know that Geno does not normally depend on freshmen to come in and make a significant impact that first year. I assumed that she would get enough playing time to allow her to make that sophomore leap by the end of this year as expected, nothing more. I expected the usual amount of turnovers, missed shots, missed assignments, bad decisions on the fly, and a little bewilderment at times during a game, since this was her first rodeo.

I anticipated more input and production from Molly Bent that would have softened the expectations from Dangerfield. There were times when Dangerous looked like a deer in the headlights. Then there were times when she looked in total control. I remember when she made a defender actually stumbled to the floor trying to guard her. Crystal blew by her and scored.

The good thing is, she'll be a "seasoned" sophomore next year, and it will show. I remember what Gabby said just before the beginning of official practice her sophomore year.
She said "I'm ready this year". She said now, she knew what she was doing, and what was coming. I remember her saying that she wasn't ready to play during that Stanford loss.
That Stanford game in November of 2014 was the 2nd game of the season for UConn.

Crystal will no doubt have a "sophomore revelation" at some point during the summer. The light will come on, and she'll get it!!!! The worst is over. She'll be ready when formal practice begins in October, and ready to help her team win games in the pursuit of winning another national championship. She may be Geno's 6th man again next year.
I know Crystal will be great, and do some great things on the court before she leaves in 3 years. I was perfectly willing to allow her to get her sea-legs. Everyone does not attain them in the same number of days/games. We can all recount that "prodigy" freshman or two, than came in and started right away, as the transition for them was immediate and seamless. I'll bet Crystal has got some slick moves and no look passes that she kept under wraps this year. I can't wait to see them.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't question Crystal Dangerfield's skills, I question her mindset and her natural instincts. She seems to go off the reservation periodically and it's typically counterproductive to what UConn basketball is all about. I think Geno tolerates a little individuality and maybe even likes it from time to time but as has been mentioned, her's has had mixed results, at best.
Ok, I saw that too earlier on. The last few games though I haven't. Are you saying since the AAC Tourney & NCAA you've seen it?

Reaction Score
I think in a way that it has been invaluable for her to come off the bench, nominally for Saniya. That’s done a couple of things.

First, if she had any notions (as so many of us did) that with Moriah graduating, and coming in as the best point guard in her class, that she might be a starter right away, that was quashed immediately. There’s a reality at Connecticut and while Crystal is the point guard of the future, Saniya is the point guard of today. (It’s very important to understand that I’m not calling out Crystal on this; quite the opposite.)

Coming off the bench actually has several benefits for Crystal – from the bench she can see the entirety of what is happening on the floor; Sue Bird always said that the year she was out was invaluable because as she sat on the bench next to Geno, she came to understand what he saw on the floor, and that helped make her into the point guard that she was the remainder of her years here.

Also, she can see in Saniya what Geno values in point guard play. Remember Saniya was a prolific scorer coming out of high school and has certainly shown flashes of those capabilities this season; yet if anyone was to characterize her play this season the word “steady” would probably come to mind long before “spectacular”.

Whereas with Crystal that might be the other way around. Crystal has been a great scorer; but on a team like Connecticut that’s a given; what she needs to be is a better passer. She has had some phenomenal assists, but that is only one side of the passing game. She also needs to facilitate the offense from the point and that is where she still needs to work, because she sometimes plays like she’s still in high school.

In Crystal’s defense, the problem with high school and especially AAU is that a point guard often isn’t a point guard so much as she’s just the player that starts at the top with the ball in her hands, and if she’s the best player on the team far too often also ends with the ball in her hands (for a shot) without anyone touching it in–between. If you have a player that can make the difficult look easy on a team of players that make the easy look difficult, it happens.

So what does Crystal need to do more next season? She needs to pass more in the offense. She does that most of the time, but there are still possessions where comes down, dribbles around for a while, checks her text messages, dribbles around to the other side, balances her checkbook, dribbles back to the top and eventually jacks up a shot or slashes to the basket, i.e. typical point guard play on other teams. There was a post earlier this month about that very thing in the Siberia-cuse game. I remember late in that game that on consecutive possessions no one other than Crystal touched the ball, and that Connecticut didn’t score on those possessions. She also fouled on the defensive possession in-between - not a good series.

Crystal isn’t selfish. But even when you have a good shot there are other players that may have a great shot. When you play with National Player of the Year candidate Napheesa Collier, All-American Gabby Williams, All-American Katie Lou Samuelson, and Canadian Olympian Kia Nurse you should think pass first, score second. Because they do.

And like every new Connecticut player she needs to work on defense. After the Ohio State game, Geno called her out for letting Ohio State score every time that she scored. I went back and watched that game at the time and he was right – if she scored, Ohio State scored on the next possession, as often as not on a blow-by right past her. She’s getting better, but she has to understand the Connecticut does not trade baskets…if she can’t (help to) prevent other teams from scoring, it doesn’t matter how much she can score because she won’t get in to the game.

And she needs to be patient. With three returning all-Americans and our own all-Canadian, playing time might be limited again next year. But she has to look no farther that Saniya holding all these trophies up to see that if she is patient, great things will come. I’d bet on it.

Reaction Score
I am a big believer in Crystal's point guard skills and I'm confident that her shooting accuracy will improve too............she may eventually prove to be Moriah's equal offensively...............defensively I have some doubts whether she will ever be close to the player Moriah was at UConn...........then again..........who else ever will be..........

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What do you think of Crystal's season?

Roller coaster! Baylor game was amazing! Too amazing. I wanted more and she provided it in fits. As consistent as Collier was, Danger was not. I was very surprised how opponent guards could easily dribble by her. Too much recent edition of MoJet on my mind. Danger had a typical UCONN freshman year. She simply needs to make an honest assessment of her season and focus on her weaknesses. Personally I will be happy with the sophomore jump that Jefferson made. I am trying not to expect the jump both Williams and Collier made. Cracking the startng five next year will be tough. I hope she does not expect to have PG handed to her. I know she said part of the reason she chose UCONN was Moriah moving on and the PG was opening up. On the whole her stats are better than Jefferson's frosh stats. The big jump by Jefferson must be repeated by Danger in order to be this team's 2017-18 PG. See stats below.
upload_2017-3-31_16-13-34.png

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am a big believer in Crystal's point guard skills and I'm confident that her shooting accuracy will improve too..she may eventually prove to be Moriah's equal offensively.....defensively I have some doubts whether she will ever be close to the player Moriah was at UConn......then again.....who else ever will be.....

Yeah, who else? Point guards like Mo, don't come around on a regular basis. Mo was so great and talented, she transitioned to the next level seamlessly and did the same thing for the Stars that she did for UConn. Make no doubt about it, Mo established herself as a "Star" in the W last season.

When she packed all of her possessions and valuables when she left after graduation, she took ALL of her basketball skills with her as well. There's nothing she did at UConn, she didn't do in San Antonio. She quickly became a fan favorite once the season began. Being from Texas didn't hurt either. :cool:

Reaction Score
And last time I looked Moriah was averaging over 18 ppg overseas!
Crystal has some work to do in the off season and I'm sure there will be a plan. Geno would not still be speaking of her in glowing terms if he did not see a bright future - as long as she puts the effort in!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Roller coaster! Baylor game was amazing! Too amazing. I wanted more and she provided it in fits. As consistent as Collier was, Danger was not. I was very surprised how opponent guards could easily dribble by her. Too much recent edition of MoJet on my mind. Danger had a typical UCONN freshman year. She simply needs to make an honest assessment of her season and focus on her weaknesses. Personally I will be happy with the sophomore jump that Jefferson made. I am trying not to expect the jump both Williams and Collier made. Cracking the startng five next year will be tough. I hope she does not expect to have PG handed to her. I know she said part of the reason she chose UCONN was Moriah moving on and the PG was opening up. On the whole her stats are better than Jefferson's frosh stats. The big jump by Jefferson must be repeated by Danger in order to be this team's 2017-18 PG. See stats below.
View attachment 21330

Thanks for providing that comparison chart. I was not aware of the similarities in their numbers. Crystal's numbers compare favorably to Mo's. I know it's human nature to compare athletes to one another. We ALL do it. I knew Crystal was going to be compared to Jefferson because Mo had just left, and the visions of her were still fresh in our minds. I remember reading an article that said Mo told her (I'm paraphrasing here), not to try and be her, be like her, or emulate her style or manner of play. She told her just be you. Be Crystal Dangerfield. You can't be anyone else but who you are.

If Dangerfield had come along 5-7 years after Mo left, I think the comparisons would have been few if any. I think most would agree it would be extremely unfair to compare Crystal as a freshman to Mo as we last saw her (as a senior). If you must compare her to someone, I guess it has to be Moriah. Mo was "sticky". She could guard you, and stay in front of you, like Kia does. There's already a lot of pressure on all of the players at UConn because of the success and expectations of the program. None of them need the added pressure of being compared to, or measured against one of the program's all time icons.

Just my opinion. Not trying to step on anyone's toes here. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Stats aside, Crystal Dangerfield and Moriah have two different playing styles (particularly in Mo's freshman year). If you take a look at tape of Moriah's freshman year, she was primarily a fast driver and defensive threat. She played pretty out of control for most of the season and didn't really "get it" until the NCAA tournament. Crystal Dangerfield up to this point has shown tremendous court vision. I agree with the ESPN commentators when they say she is probably the best passer to enter UConn since Sue Bird. Her court vision is incredible for just a freshman, and I fully expect to make that jump next season.

Reaction Score
I think the difference of us being nearly unstoppable and us having an all time best uconn team is all on Dangers shoulders.

Reaction Score
I give her a C grade.....she will be really good by mid junior year I'm guessing.

Reaction Score
She's shown flashes, but like I said in another thread, her contributions tend to be brief moments of individual brilliance, rather than maintaining the flow of the offense. She hasn't been a liability, but not a tremendous asset either.

That said, like others have intimated, the biggest jump comes between freshman and sophomore years. Hopefully she "gets it", because we're going to be short of true point guards otherwise.
We have to hope so. She never seemed to play at the same tempo as the rest of the team, almost playing at a speed somewhat, " out of control." And her shot, as a consequence perhaps, abandoned her. I believe she gets about a C- grade for her freshman year. It is fair to say that we elected more. It is pretty obvious that other freshman point guards around the country were far more advanced, and made greater contributions. Given that she was described as " the best of the lot " coming out of HS, we have to be concerned. I have said, with no responses, that I think our freshmen this year represented one of the worst Uconn recruiting classes in memory. Geno said, " you're going to love these kids," but not so far ( I'm sure they are great kids, but I don't think their BB skills are at a UCONN level, or ever can be.) Anyone have a view?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We have to hope so. She never seemed to play at the same tempo as the rest of the team, almost playing at a speed somewhat, " out of control." And her shot, as a consequence perhaps, abandoned her. I believe she gets about a C- grade for her freshman year. It is fair to say that we elected more. It is pretty obvious that other freshman point guards around the country were far more advanced, and made greater contributions. Given that she was described as " the best of the lot " coming out of HS, we have to be concerned. I have said, with no responses, that I think our freshmen this year represented one of the worst Uconn recruiting classes in memory. Geno said, " you're going to love these kids," but not so far ( I'm sure they are great kids, but I don't think their BB skills are at a UCONN level, or ever can be.) Anyone have a view?
You've said this about five times today.

Carnac

Reaction Score

When I read this observation, I immediately thought of Tennessee's Meighan Simmons. She had the exact same issues. She was as quick as Jefferson and Dangerfield. When you play one way for a number of years, it's not easy to flip a switch, and change your style of play. That metamorphosis takes time. Simmons eventually slowed down, and began to play under control. So too will Crystal. Be patient. Allow her to develop at her own pace. This is her first go 'round. She'll be a different, more consistent player next year. The coaching staff will bring her along as they see fit. She'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Her season reminded me a lot of Moriah Jefferson's freshman year - we saw the athleticism and talent in spurts, and even for full games at a time, but the consistency wasn't there.

I don't think she'll be quite as good as Moriah - who, in my opinion, was UConn's most dynamic point guard ever by her senior year - but I expect her progression as a player to follow a similar path. Whether she's a starter next year or the spark off the bench, I think she's going to be a key player for them next season.

Reaction Score
What I think is that if it hadn't been for that Baylor game, many people on this board would think completely differently about Crystal's season and her potential in years to come to be a great UConn point guard. She had an extraordinary game, no question but other than that, the flashes she's shown have been very, very infrequent. I have concerns and I would be astounded (but happy) if her career at UConn approaches that of Moriah Jefferson.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. I think she's scary and not in a good way.

Reaction Score
Next season I believe our comments on Crystal Dangerfield will be similar to what we are saying and reading about Pheesa.

Repeating, Crystal Dangerfield got hurt, Saniya rose to the occasion, and we thrived. IF, not for the concussion, Saniya sits, Crystal Dangerfield learned to run the offense and we would have thrived, or not. I'm happy for them both to have had the chance to demonstrated their skills and Saniya to remember the crowd cheering her off the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom