Crowd observations of Tulsa game... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Crowd observations of Tulsa game...

Reaction Score
We were walking in at 11:50 from Aero and one of the people with me asked why hundreds of cars were leaving.

Since we are always in the front of Blue lot I haven't seen this - is it really a thing? I mean - I get that the tailgate is most important for a lot of people...but to actually leave and not go to the game?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since we are always in the front of Blue lot I haven't seen this - is it really a thing? I mean - I get that the tailgate is most important for a lot of people...but to actually leave and not go to the game?

Most weeks it’s a trickle. Homecoming week it’s an exodus.

There were hundreds of people in the Aero lot that you could tell were never leaving.

I forgot it was Homecoming until we pulled in and then was like.. oh yeah.

Reaction Score
We got a tailgating scene established, obviously. They were leaving to go watch other games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We got a tailgating scene established, obviously. They were leaving to go watch other games.

LOL. Nobody in Connecticut is leaving to watch other games.

Rake leaves? Apple picking? Youth Soccer? Wash their car? Sure.

Watch other college football games. Ha.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Please the days of waiting lists for the NFL franchises around here are long over.

UConn’s bad attendance has zero to do with the NFL.
You misread my post, or maybe I wasn't clear.

My point is that with the Giants and Patriots nearby (with their decades-long season ticket waiting lists), there may be an untapped market of people who want to see live football but can't. We can market to them by pointing out college football beats the NFL when it comes to value (fun per dollar). We can buy some advertising space in newspapers, online, and on billboards with side-by-side comparisons ... $150 vs $1,000.

Let the NFL have the older "Mercedes and BMW" families. Let's go after the younger "Honda, Toyota, and Nissan" families.

Reaction Score
LOL. Nobody in Connecticut is leaving to watch other games.
I wouldn't doubt it if they leave right before 12. Look at what someone else said students were leaving to watch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You misread my post, or maybe I wasn't clear.

My point is that with the Giants and Patriots nearby (with their decades-long season ticket waiting lists), there may be an untapped market of people who want to see live football but can't. We can market to them by pointing out college football beats the NFL when it comes to value (fun per dollar). We can buy some advertising space in newspapers, online, and on billboards with side-by-side comparisons ... $150 vs $1,000.

Let the NFL have the older "Mercedes and BMW" families. Let's go after the younger "Honda, Toyota, and Nissan" families.

They don’t have season ticket waiting lists anymore.

They spend plenty on that kind of marketing and it does nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wouldn't doubt it if they leave right before 12. Look at what someone else said students were leaving to watch.

Just stop. Nobody was leaving to watch Virginia and BC. Nobody.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
No not true. ALL Cowboys games are like that ! I went to two games last year while in town on business and bought standing room tickets against the Bears the first game because I couldn't get in under $250 against the friggin Bears who suck so I went with standing room which were $100 I believe. Big mistake there as you have designated areas to stand and you are 20 rowS+ deep there so you end up watching the whole game on the Jumbotron. Spent the 2nd half looking for a seat and nothing was open with the exception of lower seats which you can't get NEAR without a ticket. The next game I paid $300 which was a steal as there was a father who was dumping a seat because his wife couldn't go. That seat came with free beers as he was throwing them on his corporate Amex with clients. I drank at least $100 in beer which he insisted on so it all worked out. Jerry's World is like no other stadium, it's,the hottest ticket in town regardless who's playing. Those people are FB insane down there.
I've lived 90% of my life in either the NYC or Dallas metro areas. The interest in the Cowboys here is roughly equivalent to what you have in NY if you add the Yankees, Mets, Giants, and Jets together.

Reaction Score
Please the days of waiting lists for the NFL franchises around here are long over.

Agreed. Since the Giants/Jets shifted to PSLs with their new stadium, there is no wait list.

Reaction Score
Most weeks it’s a trickle. Homecoming week it’s an exodus.

There were hundreds of people in the Aero lot that you could tell were never leaving.

I forgot it was Homecoming until we pulled in and then was like.. oh yeah.

Makes sense. But 25K is still a decent crowd given where we are. Is that distributed or scanned?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Makes sense. But 25K is still a decent crowd given where we are. Is that distributed or scanned?

Distributed I think. Crowd was ok other than a bit overserved. Dan97 is right. The bathrooms were a mess.

@UConnDan97 there is a family bathroom right downstairs from 241 between the mens and womens that usually is ok.

Reaction Score
I don’t know for a fact because this is just from a co-worker who has son who is a frosh at UConn. She asked if I went to the HC game and she said that her son and her family were at the game and her son was bummed that he had to leave the game early because the buses left somewhere between the third and fourth quarter. Not sure if that’s 100% accurate or if that was because it was a Thursday night game but if it is true, then that would explain why the student section gets so empty by the 4th quarter. I know a lot of kids drive to the games but a large number take the bus. If the bus leaves early the kids have no choice but to leave.

Someone corr ct me please if I this info is wrong. Like I said, it came from a co-worker so not sure how accurate it is.

Busses start leaving when they are full, they don't all leave early.

However, I can get how a freshmen at their first game could think that they are going to get left behind when so many people are leaving early

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Distributed I think. Crowd was ok other than a bit overserved. Dan97 is right. The bathrooms were a mess.

@UConnDan97 there is a family bathroom right downstairs from 241 between the mens and womens that usually is ok.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip. This is the first year that I'm going to games with my son, so in years past I just didn't care. My old philosophy was to find an unoccupied urinal and don't touch anything... ;)

Reaction Score
I think we got close to 30k next week with a two game win streak, early projections call for sunny and 65, and a big name opponent (most people don’t know they stink shhhh). Oddly enough I’ll be missing my second home game in 7 years. If we’re 4-4 with a top 15 USF team coming to town the week after I hope to god we get at least 32-33k.

Thinking about it more, I don't really see a big bump in the size of the crowd, if any. Whatever bump we get based on the wins and a bigger name opponent will probably be lost by last week being homecoming and this week not.

I expect a much louder crowd though than the Tulsa game

Reaction Score
It's common in plenty of college game day areas for fans to show up with no intention of going to game. They want the experience without having to pay for tickets and concessions.

People will pay money to put together a tailgate and have a means of broadcasting game, all while sitting in parking lot outside stadium.
Reminds me of our old games at the Yale Bowl. Lots of people never made it inside.

Reaction Score
They don’t have season ticket waiting lists anymore.

They spend plenty on that kind of marketing and it does nothing.

actually 2 of the three still do; the column headings are;
team, year wait list started, # of names on wait list, anticipated wait time, psl's
upload_2017-10-22_18-56-46.png

I was amazed at the number of people on the concourse, the attendance would have looked much better if they would actually just go to their seats but like many said already they just aren't there for the game!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
actually 2 of the three still do; the column headings are;
team, year wait list started, # of names on wait list, anticipated wait time, psl's
View attachment 25631

I was amazed at the number of people on the concourse, the attendance would have looked much better if they would actually just go to their seats but like many said already they just aren't there for the game!

The Giants have a waiting list in the sense they have a list of names.

You can buy a PSL for less than they sold them for initially if you are willing to take the responsibility of buying the tickets for the length of the term.

Patriot tickets are constantly available
at face value.

None of those teams have any impact on UConn attendance.

Zero.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of our old games at the Yale Bowl. Lots of people never made it inside.

In '83 or '84, we made it into Yale Bowl--walked right in through the tunnel with the UConn football team. No one said anything to us. Probably could have gone on the field with them, but we veered into the stands when we got into the stadium. We were in the background of a NH Register sports section photo the next day--four of us surrounded by miles of empty blue wood bleachers.

Reaction Score
Just stop. Nobody was leaving to watch Virginia and BC. Nobody.

They didn't have to leave to watch the BC/UVA game: it was on the concession stand TV system at the start of the third quarter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They didn't have to leave to watch the BC/UVA game: it was on the concession stand TV system at the start of the third quarter.

The Rent not having a decent cable package screams P6 doesn’t it?

Here is your theoretical rival destroying a team that killed you on a static tube TV.

But it’s hard to believe attendance is low.

Reaction Score
I think we would have had a decent home attendance this year if the schedule was more fan friendly. First, the games this season have been on a Thursday night, Sunday (last minute change of time and opponent that couldn't be helped), Friday night, and one Saturday noon game. I know, we had USF scheduled for a Saturday, and it is not anyone's fault that the game wasn't played, but the way the schedule has played out has not helped attendance. Throw in we moved what would have been our most attended home, Boston College, to Fenway Park. Sure, the money was good, but we are trying to rebuild the fan base after the coaching of PP/GDL and Diaco plus conference realignment. BC at home would have helped season ticket sales and mini packs. I like almost everything Benedict has done, especially dumping Diaco, but moving the BC game was short sighted.

End of the day, start winning and fans will come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom