Crowd observations of Tulsa game... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crowd observations of Tulsa game...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's common in plenty of college game day areas for fans to show up with no intention of going to game. They want the experience without having to pay for tickets and concessions.

People will pay money to put together a tailgate and have a means of broadcasting game, all while sitting in parking lot outside stadium.

Reaction Score
I would love for more students and non-students to actually come in the stadium and/or stay the entire game, but the program has been a running joke for 6 years. To me, you, and everyone else here we know that Edsall is here to change that narrative, but how is Joe Fan supposed to know from looking at our record and seeing UConn give up 70 points at home?

When I was a student, the team went 8-5, 8-5, 8-5 the first three years and made a bowl every year playing regional opponents so yes people took UConn Football seriously and yes people showed up to games and stayed all 60 minutes.

As I said, I agree with everyone here that the fanbase could do better, but it's unrealistic to think you can change a narrative overnight. Beating mediocre Temple and Tulsa teams doesn't do that. What does do that is changing your identity to consistently win games, make bowls, and be entertaining. I am choosing to be patient with it and not call out anyone since I don't think that accomplishes the intended goal.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't think it was that bad. Slows you down from entering for less than a minute but shouldn't be the deal-breaker between going to the game & staying home.

It took me half the first quarter to get in.

It’s not one thing - it’s the laundry list of things that add up.

Reaction Score

Didn't you walk around the stadium to the shorter line at a previous game? ECU maybe?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I actually think the machines are faster than the wands. But what are they going to do when it rains?

Reaction Score
The parking lots before the game definitely made it look like we'd have a bigger crowd than we did.
That was my thought too. I even wondered if a lot of the tailgaters never bothered witth the game. The Aircraft Club and Blue lot were filled to almost capacity. Kinda looked like the Michigan game. And then the stadium was more than half empty.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Students will always leave early because of the stadium location. They will leave earlier because of the lack of geographical opponents. Fan engagement (especially students) will continue to be a huge task for athletics...Deal with it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
As usual I was running late. Got in 2 mins after kick off (didn’t want to be that family - but it keeps happening). We had to walk from deep red lot territory because I misplaced my gray lot pass. What a walk, over a 1/2 mile. If everyone in the damn parking lots actually went to the game maybe we would have had 30k. Disappointing to walk past hundreds of people that clearly had not plans to go in.

I love a drink, have beverages all the time, but there really are too many in the parking lot and walking into that place too sh-tfaced by any reasonable standard. It hurts the atmosphere - and I am not a prude. Have some self respect.

Bingo!

Exactly how I feel about it. I showed up an hour early with my son, and we were buried at the end of Red Lot also (Section M or N). I said to myself, "Self...this crowd is going to be packed and hyped up!" Nope. Like you mentioned, a large chunk of those folks never showed up to the stadium. I love playing cornhole and throwing down a beer as much as the next guy, but....really?? My kid has trouble using a stall in the bathroom after the second quarter because we struggle to find one without upchuck or explosive diarrhea in it. The "Coors Treatment". Poor janitorial staff.

I don't get it. It will be interesting to see if winning changes the demographics and / or behavior any from this year to next year...

Reaction Score
Students will always leave early because of the stadium location. They will leave earlier because of the lack of geographical opponents. Fan engagement (especially students) will continue to be a huge task for athletics...Deal with it.

Fair point. The lack of local rivals is a big problem for attendance in the CR age, and we're feeling that big time in both football & hoops.

Reaction Score
We got to the Gray lot Silver Lane entrance around 9 am. It took 25 minutes to get to the Gray lot (a trip that usually takes five minutes). Blue lot was fuller than it had been all season. Lots of students walking--I'm guessing from the Red lot--more than any game this season. Homecoming, I know. (The pedestrians were part of the traffic delay. Suggestion: route pedestrians so they don't cross every parking lot entrance. It was like Frogger yesterday.) Gray lot was packed, too. We almost missed the Husky Walk because of this delay. LAZ was worse than usual.

Where did all of those people go? Based on the traffic and tailgating, I expected a fuller stadium. The concourse was packed at halftime, but the seats seemed woefully empty. We sit in the sun behind the UCONN bench. Definitely a hat/visor day, but not as hot as other games this year.

Was in the concessions line for water (why aren't there water/beverage only lines or kiosks like there are for beer?) and missed the beginning of the third quarter. Could hear the stadium announcer, knew UConn was on the move. Got close enough to the front of the line to see the TV screen--and the Boston College/Virginia game. What the.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gate B at around the same time was no problem at all, no lines really, took me like 30 seconds to get in line and get into the stadium

Really??? You're gonna be THAT guy????

Just kidding....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We got to the Gray lot Silver Lane entrance around 9 am. It took 25 minutes to get to the Gray lot (a trip that usually takes five minutes). Blue lot was fuller than it had been all season. Lots of students walking--I'm guessing from the Red lot--more than any game this season. Homecoming, I know. (The pedestrians were part of the traffic delay. Suggestion: route pedestrians so they don't cross every parking lot entrance. It was like Frogger yesterday.) Gray lot was packed, too. We almost missed the Husky Walk because of this delay. LAZ was worse than usual.

Where did all of those people go? Based on the traffic and tailgating, I expected a fuller stadium. The concourse was packed at halftime, but the seats seemed woefully empty. We sit in the sun behind the UCONN bench. Definitely a hat/visor day, but not as hot as other games this year.

Was in the concessions line for water (why aren't there water/beverage only lines or kiosks like there are for beer?) and missed the beginning of the third quarter. Could hear the stadium announcer, knew UConn was on the move. Got close enough to the front of the line to see the TV screen--and the Boston College/Virginia game. What the.....

They sell water at a bunch of the beer kiosks.

Reaction Score

If it took you half of the first quarter to get in you must have gotten in the line pretty late. At 11:40 it took us about 5 minutes to go through our line.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If it took you half of the first quarter to get in you must have gotten in the line pretty late. At 11:40 it took us about 5 minutes to go through our line.

I was in line when they came out of the tunnel.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't get the problems getting in. Unless you are waiting until 5 min before Kick-off it shouldn't take more than a minute or two. If you are at the gate before the band starts you breeze right in. THB, after 3+ hours of tailgating, I'm more than ready to get inside.

My only conclusion is that you people are doing it wrong.

Same goes for the people who can't get out of the lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom