Creme's preseason top 25 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creme's preseason top 25

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Well it goes to show that you didn't watch SC and the players develop over the course of the season. Ty Harris will be one of the best point guards in the country next season and her offensive ability will come out in full force with Cuevas-Moore being a senior leader will provide lots of scoring from the wing( her shooting percentage from the field and 3 were better then both Davis & Gray), Jennings playing two seasons at Kentucky and having experience, KiKi Herbert Harrigan will make a sophomore leap ( she averaged 11.5 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and shot 68% from the field) in the last portion of the season. Our defensive stopper Doniyah Cliney was just a sophomore last year and is developing offensively and will very well be an impact player on both sides of the ball. Our freshman Class has very offensive talented players and an Elite Athlete Elisia Grissett. Outside of Gabby Williams she will be hands down one of the most Athletic players in the country who can play 1-5 as well as defend. All these key components on top of first team AA and NPOY candidate A'ja Wilson is more then enough to return to the FF. Wilson will probably average over 20 ppg this year and at least 5 blocks and not to mention SC is one of the best defensive teams in the country. I think we'll be just fine :cool:

I think SC is #2 right now, especially with the hit Baylor just took.

Reaction Score
Yes UCONN can lose if the refs foul out the top 10 players on the team!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Well it goes to show that you didn't watch SC and the players develop over the course of the season. Ty Harris will be one of the best point guards in the country next season and her offensive ability will come out in full force with Cuevas-Moore being a senior leader will provide lots of scoring from the wing( her shooting percentage from the field and 3 were better then both Davis & Gray), Jennings playing two seasons at Kentucky and having experience, KiKi Herbert Harrigan will make a sophomore leap ( she averaged 11.5 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and shot 68% from the field) in the last portion of the season. Our defensive stopper Doniyah Cliney was just a sophomore last year and is developing offensively and will very well be an impact player on both sides of the ball. Our freshman Class has very offensive talented players and an Elite Athlete Elisia Grissett. Outside of Gabby Williams she will be hands down one of the most Athletic players in the country who can play 1-5 as well as defend. All these key components on top of first team AA and NPOY candidate A'ja Wilson is more then enough to return to the FF. Wilson will probably average over 20 ppg this year and at least 5 blocks and not to mention SC is one of the best defensive teams in the country. I think we'll be just fine :cool:

:cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Baylor losing Mompremier is like SC losing Coates, and we all saw how that turned out. Too many bigs can be bad for the offense. I honestly don't think this will have a major impact. Kalani Brown got FAR too few minutes last season and Mompremier's absence probably means that Kalani puts up big numbers and lands on the first team AA squad.

I truly believe that Cox is going to work on her game of the summer and she and Brown will be one of the the best front-court combos in the nation. Look for Cohen to have a really good senior season. She is 6-2 and very powerful and will get some good minutes in the paint this season. Last season she was pushed to the 3 because the depth was so great at the post positions. This season Baylor is going to have a really strong guard rotation with Wallace, Chou, Richardd, Morris and "Moon" Ursin. It was going to be hard for Cohen to get those minutes at the 3 with that rotation.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Baylor losing Mompremier is like SC losing Coates, and we all saw how that turned out. Too many bigs can be bad for the offense. I honestly don't think this will have a major impact. Kalani Brown got FAR too few minutes last season and Mompremier's absence probably means that Kalani puts up big numbers and lands on the first team AA squad.

Baylor's biggest edge last season was their extraordinary rebounding margin. An enormous chunk of that is now gone. Mompremier averaged 6.5 rebounds in only 14.5 minutes! Cave 4 boards in less than 13 minutes. Davis and Prince averaged over 11 between them. I agree that Brown's numbers will go up as she's needed more, but that is a ton of athleticism and rebounding gone.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor's biggest edge last season was their extraordinary rebounding margin. An enormous chunk of that is now gone. Mompremier averaged 6.5 rebounds in only 14.5 minutes! Cave 4 boards in less than 13 minutes. Davis and Prince averaged over 11 between them. I agree that Brown's numbers will go up as she's needed more, but that is a ton of athleticism and rebounding gone.

Give the chunk of those minutes to Brown, let her average 30 minutes a game instead of 20. and you have basically offset the difference of what Mompremier brought in. Brown and Cox will own the boards and Cohen is also a solid rebounder. Maybe our shooting percentage will increase so that we don't need as many O boards. ;)

And you do know that Baylor will continue to play 5 players, so it's not as if all of those rebounds are going away. I suspect that you will see the guards with some good rebounding numbers, especially Ursin. At 5-7 she has gotten close to dunking and she is going to be a Gabby-like player with her athleticism.

Cohen at 6-2 and Richards at 6-1 are going to be very capable rebounders.

However, I do think you will see a different style of play with it being very up-tempo. The guards are going to be super athletic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Davis and Gray played wonderfully down the stretch and were very seasoned and very talented players that will be hard to replace. Losing Coates actually helped the chemistry and made SC a better team. That's not to say she wasn't talented but with Coates and A'ja on the court at the same time, they weren't as good. I don't think it's likely that the others will step up to the level of Davis and Gray though I do agree that South Carolina will still be a very respectable team.
Uh, don't shovel the dirt on SC just yet. They return 3 starters and Cuevas -Moore had the best 3pt shooting % on the team. Better than Gray or Davis. She yielded to them because it made that team better for Dawn's process. She will be allowed to score more this year, as she did last year when both Gray and Davis were sitting out. She also is a defensive stopper and disrupter for many of the teams ala Miss St. who you think will challenge SC for the SEC. I say SC will still win the SEC and has a great chance to be back at the final four. 3 returning starters, one being arguably the best player in the country, and adding experienced and versatile Alexis Jenning. Dawn has many options for that last spot. Cliney-Defensive stopper who logged many minutes in NC run. Harrigan, freshman who scored in double figures en route to SEC Champ, and played in NC run and on the road earlier against UConn. That is too much for them not to be good, and these other teams besides UConn and ND have shown that they have the combination of chemistry, coaching and talent to freeze them out. SEC is still theirs to lose IMO.

Reaction Score
Uh, don't shovel the dirt on SC just yet. They return 3 starters and Cuevas -Moore had the best 3pt shooting % on the team. Better than Gray or Davis. She yielded to them because it made that team better for Dawn's process. She will be allowed to score more this year, as she did last year when both Gray and Davis were sitting out. She also is a defensive stopper and disrupter for many of the teams ala Miss St. who you think will challenge SC for the SEC. I say SC will still win the SEC and has a great chance to be back at the final four. 3 returning starters, one being arguably the best player in the country, and adding experienced and versatile Alexis Jenning. Dawn has many options for that last spot. Cliney-Defensive stopper who logged many minutes in NC run. Harrigan, freshman who scored in double figures en route to SEC Champ, and played in NC run and on the road earlier against UConn. That is too much for them not to be good, and these other teams besides UConn and ND have shown that they have the combination of chemistry, coaching and talent to freeze them out. SEC is still theirs to lose IMO.

Couldn't have said it any better! This is still a very talented team. But let them continue to sleep on us like they did this year :cool:

Reaction Score
I think ol' Charlie Creme should go back to the drawing board and attempt an updated "way too early" Top 25. I think his reckonings, as off-base as they were, are now really off-base!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly from their frosh year, Brown was the better scorer, but Mompremier was the better rebounder.

Reaction Score
My point being that this year most teams had lost the game before it started.
Now that the streak is gone, I have no doubt that the UConn players are going to play with a new energy and a sense of urgency next year.

OTOH, UConn usually plays a very tough schedule and I think one of those teams will get the best of the Huskies during the season. As I mentioned, in the grand scheme losing a game will actually be a beneficial to UConn.
This years team will be on a mission just like the 2002 team! Returning 3 1st team AAs and a HM But also adding IMO the best player in the country in Azura Stevens. The mystique will be there at least until Geno steps down just like Pat at Tenn. Except I dont see Uconn falling like them after he leaves. This past years team would have benefitted with a loss in the regular season but next years team probably will go in thinking one game at a time and nothing but Perfection will be successful!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Below was my top 15 right after the season ended....taking everything into consideration now, I'd reshuffle it so it looks like:
1. Connecticut-lose Butler
2. South Carolina
3. Mississippi State
4. Texas
5. Notre Dame-lose Boley
6. Baylor-lose Mompremier
7. Stanford
8. UCLA
9. Oregon
10. Maryland-lose Slocum
11. Ohio State-lose McCoy
12. Louisville-lose Moore
13. Florida State
14. Tennessee-lose Cooper/Deshields/Middleton
15. Duke

The transfers that hurt a team's projected outlook most were for Tennessee, Ohio State, Louisville and Maryland...but none of them were Final Four favorites entering this year. The top several teams remain in tact or lose some depth, but still have their important cogs back.

Original list/explanation:
1. Connecticut: The outlook for this team is sky high, and probably even higher with the added motivation to get back on top after getting beat by Mississippi State. More significantly, they return their 4 best players and add in 6-6 Stevens who solves their height issues in the post. Besides Chong, everyone is back. That's 2 AP 1st Teamers, a 2nd teamer (who is probably their best player), plus Stevens, Nurse and the #1 recruit in Walker. Williams, IMO, is the heavy favorite for NPOY next year considering how talented and multifaceted she is. In most big games this year, she was the best player on the court. This team should be the overwhelming favorite to win it all next year, it could potentially be one of UConn's best teams of all time.

2. South Carolina: Even with the losses, the outlook for this team is fantastic solely due to the fact that they have Wilson back as a senior. A'ja has blossomed into the best frontcourt/post player in the country and she no longer shies away from contact. She is also developing into a good passer. Their point guard, Harris, has been stellar for SC and Cuevas is much improved. Obviously they're thin in other spots, but with Dawn at the helm and Wilson as a senior, I still think they're Final Four material. The only shot they have to repeat is if Gray or Davis decide to pass on the draft.

3. Mississippi State: They pulled off the upset of a lifetime and proved they were not a fluke by beating several very very good teams in the NCAA Tournament. They return their 3 best players but lose key role players in Okorie, Dillingham and Richardson. All were integral role players for Mississippi State who will need to be replaced. That said, they have one of the better coaches in the country in Schaefer and the best big game point guard in William. McCowan has great size inside and will continue to improve, Vivians is streaky but can light it up...they'll be a major threat to get back to the Final Four next year.

4. Notre Dame: They get a ranking this high due to their outstanding coaching. Next year is not going to be easy for the Irish. Turner will be coming off an ACL and if she doesn't redshirt, she likely wont be 100% most of the season. They lose an All-American point guard in Allen who was the engine that led Notre Dame's terrific offense. However, next year, ND will not be short for talent. Marina Mabrey and Arike Ogunbowale make up one of the best wing tandems in the country. Both are lethal from deep and capable of scoring 25 on any given night. Transfer Lili Thompson will man the point and should help ease the loss of Allen. Westbeld is a very good inside out forward, and Boley/Young will have more opportunity to take on a bigger role next season. Lack of post presence is going to be the achilles heel for this team, especially if Turner doesn't rebound quickly from the ACL. Their incoming freshmen should have ample opportunity to get big minutes in the first half of the year with Turner recovering.

5. Texas: I might be overhyping this team a bit, but if they can develop some consistency, they'll be darn good. Their upside is outstanding if they can find the chemistry on the court, and I think Aston is a very good coach who will make it happen. Especially with the additions they're bringing in. Everyone is back besides Lang/Taylor. That means Atkins, Holmes, McCarty, and Higgs. They also have Jatarie White coming on board to add more depth in the post. Next year might be the year they get over the hump and make the Final Four. I think this might be the only team with a realistic shot to compete with the Huskies.

6. Baylor: Not sure how they have gone 5 straight years without a Final Four considering the ample talent on their roster, but next year they'll have one of the most talented lineups in college basketball once again. Look for Kalani Brown to establish herself as the preeminent post in women's basketball. Cox, the #1 recruit this year, will have a year of experience and more opportunity to showcase her talent. Tough as nails PG Wallace is back along with Natalie Chou who is one of the better spot up shooters in the country. They'll be very good once again, but I'm really not sold on Kim as a coach after the last several seasons, so a Final Four will be a much tougher task without the likes of Jones, Davis and Prince on the roster.

7. Stanford: Tara's teams consistently overachieve, and I think they'll do the same once again. They lost some core players but return Mcphee, Smith and Sniezek. Tara is a masterful coach, so even if they don't appear to be intimidating on paper, she'll put together a really good team once again.

8. UCLA: Another good team with a lot coming back in Canada, Billings and Burke. Next year will be their best shot at a Final Four.

9. Tennessee: I do think Tennessee will be MUCH improved next year. I may be optimistic with this ranking, but Tennessee had zero depth this year, dreadful shooting, and overly relied on their big 3. Next year they'll have Cooper back, Russell and Nared return (they were both much improved players this year), Diamond is back, and a big recruiting class who should make an impact from the get go. This team had some good stretches with a depleted roster. With more depth I'm hoping for consistency. On paper this team should be a Final Four squad (the last time we had this much talent was in the Candace Parker era), but we have dreadful coaching so I'm thinking 8-15 is a more realistic range. If we are outside the top 20 at any point next season, Warlick needs to go.

10. Louisville: This team should probably be ranked higher, but I was just not impressed with them this season. So much talent in Moore/Hines-Allen/Durr but they lost to every good team the faced, and usually had trouble staying the game. 34 point loss to Baylor, 24 pt loss to SC, losses of 19 and 11 to Notre Dame. Their best wins on the season were a home win against Tennessee and an OT win over Kentucky early in the season. They have Final Four talent, but they need to prove they can compete with and beat other top fifteen teams before they deserve a ranking in the top 10.

11. Oregon: Everyone who averaged more than 5ppg is coming back, led by their two freshmen, Ionescu and Hebard. Consistency is key here, they had an up and down season which is to be expected for a group of young players, but with everyone back and a good coach in Graves, Oregon has potential to make another big tournament run.

12. Maryland: They lose their 3 best players, but the cupboard isn't bare. Charles and Fraser will blossom with more opportunity, and this team still has potential to be very good. Brenda is a better coach than many give credit to, so I think she'll still keep her squad in the top 4 seeds.

13. Ohio State: A team that is loaded with talent but poorly coached. They should be a Final Four contender on paper with Mitchell/Harper/Calhoun/Mavunga/McCoy, but they just don't play defense. Mitchell coming back is huge and she has the talent to lead her team to the Final Four, but I don't see it happening.

14. Florida State: Another team depleted by graduation, but FSU was a consistent top 5-8 team most of the season. Thomas is back and Semrau is one of the more underrated coaches in the country, so FSU should be good once again.

15. Duke: They return a lot of talent but I just don't see them as a top team with McCallie at the helm. Brown and Greenwell are outstanding and Duke has a lot of talent on paper. I think they'll be good, but I don't see this program taking the next step under P.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
^^^^

Duke added a transfer that helps fill their biggest void. No way I would rank them behind Louisville, TN, Maryland, and FSU.
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

bballnut90

Reaction Score
^^^^

Duke added a transfer that helps fill their biggest void. No way I would rank them behind Louisville, TN, Maryland, and FSU. View attachment 23096 View attachment 23096 View attachment 23096 View attachment 23096 View attachment 23096

Duke can definitely make a strong case to be ranked higher than I have them. I'm not convinced that the Fresno State transfer fills the void left by Cooper and Chidom. Her numbers look stellar, but so did Butler's prior to coming to Connecticut.

Also, more significantly I think Walz/Frese/Semrau are better coaches who will get more out of their players than P will, so that's why I have them higher.

Tennessee and Duke are interchangeable. On second thought I might swap them, but both have high ceilings along with very suspect coaching. I'd look for a lot of parity this upcoming season besides Connecticut.

Reaction Score
It's fun to think about this time of year, even though (Sorry, Charlie!) it means nothing. I might switch Ohio State with Notre Dame, just because Ohio State is Ohio State and Notre Dame is Notre Dame. If ya know what I mean. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Duke can definitely make a strong case to be ranked higher than I have them. I'm not convinced that the Fresno State transfer fills the void left by Cooper and Chidom. Her numbers look stellar, but so did Butler's prior to coming to Connecticut.

Also, more significantly I think Walz/Frese/Semrau are better coaches who will get more out of their players than P will, so that's why I have them higher.

Tennessee and Duke are interchangeable. On second thought I might swap them, but both have high ceilings along with very suspect coaching. I'd look for a lot of parity this upcoming season besides Connecticut.
You can scratch Diamond coming back for Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Last year at this time many were arguing that Uconn should be number 1 until beaten---I suggest the same should apply to USC---.

Reaction Score
Last year at this time many were arguing that UConn should be number 1 until beaten---I suggest the same should apply to USC---.

Will anybody voting for SCAR over UCONN get a free IQ test?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Eh...Butler had one year of numbers as opposed to 3 years........ plus totally different type players and body types.

If TN finishes ahead of Duke.... I'll drive to TN and buy a Orange Vol shirt

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Eh...Butler had one year of numbers as opposed to 3 years... plus totally different type players and body types.

If TN finishes ahead of Duke.... I'll drive to TN and buy a Orange Vol shirt

Holding you to that ;)

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Last year at this time many were arguing that UConn should be number 1 until beaten---I suggest the same should apply to USC---.

UConn already beat USC once.

They froze up on the biggest stage.

Wouldn't expect that to happen again.

but if someone wants to leave the reigning champ #1 until beaten, fine by me.

when do Uconn and usc play next year? ;)

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Nah. Unlike boxing where you have to beat the champion to become the champion, preseason rankings are an assessment of the current state so it would be irresponsible not to judge the teams based on their expectations, rather than last season's results.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom