Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Samson's regression has become a real problem. He's more likely to foul than grab a rebound. It's become a problem when everyone is praying Clingan doesn't get into foul trouble. His numbers the past 5 games look scary for a 6'10 guy

10 minutes, 0 rebounds, 3 fouls
12 minutes, 3 rebounds, 4 fouls
12 minutes, 1 rebound, 3 fouls
15 minutes, 1 rebound, 5 fouls
12 minutes, 0 rebounds, 4 fouls
We established some time ago that Samson is a foul machine.

Reaction Score
Playing Creighton as we did last night has its benefits in the sense that it's a team that doesn't foul much, and that's what you're going to get in tournament play. I think our style lately has been too rough and tumble BE ball. We haven't been guarding the perimeter as much as we did in the OOC, and that showed last night.

The D will get back to clamping down on 3 point shooting.

In the tourney, you can always get a hot from 3 and cause an upset.

Think about what could've happened if Iona stayed blazing like they did in the first half.

Get back to clamping down on 3 point shooters. The interior will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
The 2 fouls called on Clingan in the first 2 minutes would not have been called at Gampel or Hartford. There really is a such thing as getting BS bull fouls called on the road. Just a fact that refs are influenced by the crowd.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I've watched it a bunch and I'm 99% sure that:

1) Clingan never touched Ashworth
2) Ashworth fell of his own accord on the floor
3) it was not the best screen (not sure if just Clingan was late or was not set up well by timing of guards) but considering he never made contact and it should be a no call.

How about Kalkbrenner tripping over himself, gets the foul called, Creighton then his a three. I think we had the lead down to 12 or so.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
1) He's clearly saying "In MSG I'll knock you out."

2) The dunce that wrote that tweet doesn't know the phrase is "a bit too far" and for that reason alone I can't take them seriously.
Sports Illustrated! Shocking they went under.

Reaction Score
The only answers to a motivated team raining threes and complementing with a midrange game are disciplined defense, an inside option, drive and dish and hitting some of your own perimeter shots. We had very little of that with Clingan on the bench, Cam and Tristen under constant pressure, and Karaban somehow ghosting us when we desperately need him.

I will say this as food for thought. I think it's not worth it to bench Clingan for long stretches despite foul trouble. If you're letting a good team dominate inside and allowing them to put glue on your other 4 because there's no pressure to give help inside the game can easily get out of hand. If you save Clingan and he finishes the game with 3 or 4 fouls you have by definition not gotten maximum minutes out of him. I'd rather let him manage his defensive game and his screens and get those minutes than pretend our coach has some magic sauce to pull the game out with him down the stretch. It's coaching vanity and they all do it. The rest is up to the refs but we need maximum minutes before a top 10 team at home blows a game open. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
This was sort of predictable. Good team on the road in a place we have never won ( though the sample size is pretty small) after a huge win. To me it was also unfortunate that we got out to a big early lead. It felt like, not that we didn’t take Creighton seriously exactly, but there was no sense of urgency. And Creighton played like this was their national championship. Plus McDermott is good. He figured out that you can’t stop Clingon. But if you can take Spenser and Karaban out of the game, it will be a big problem and neither of them got many open shots. Though it was earlier in the season, that is how Kansas beat us, too, though in that one Spenser was hurt more than Kansas took him out. Clingon can score all day long as long as you are hitting 3s and Creighton did that. We also were much sloppier than we’ve been. Newton threw the ball away late in the first half looking for Karaban. We didn’t control rebounds like we usually do. Lots of them seemed to go just off someone’s fingers. And never seemed to have a great feel for the clock. Seemed like we were getting late in the shot clock a lot more than usual and not being in good position to make shots in that situation.

Reaction Score
Glad to see not every media member overreacts to one game. The stuff after the Marquette game, like Lunardi saying to take the Huskies over the field, was a little much. So on the contrary it's nice when media people are more even keel.

Although dropping a game in the fashion that UConn did to Creighton would end their season in March, it's important to remember that all games in the NCAA tournament are played at a neutral site. Each of Connecticut's three losses have came on the road to two of the top teams in the sport in Creighton and Kansas. Their third loss was to a formidable opponent in Seton Hall that currently sits in fourth place in the Big East.

With that in mind, fans shouldn't be rash to cast UConn off as last year's news as the Huskies are still in great position to win the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I've watched it a bunch and I'm 99% sure that:

1) Clingan never touched Ashworth
2) Ashworth fell of his own accord on the floor
3) it was not the best screen (not sure if just Clingan was late or was not set up well by timing of guards) but considering he never made contact and it should be a no call.
The ref was literally staring right at the play with a better angle than the broadcast. Greg McDermott was even pointing out what was about to happen to the ref.

Clingan moves his hip and hits Ashworth.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The only answers to a motivated team raining threes and complementing with a midrange game are disciplined defense, an inside option, drive and dish and hitting some of your own perimeter shots. We had very little of that with Clingan on the bench, Cam and Tristen under constant pressure, and Karaban somehow ghosting us when we desperately need him.

I will say this as food for thought. I think it's not worth it to bench Clingan for long stretches despite foul trouble. If you're letting a good team dominate inside and allowing them to put glue on your other 4 because there's no pressure to give help inside the game can easily get out of hand. If you save Clingan and he finishes the game with 3 or 4 fouls you have by definition not gotten maximum minutes out of him. I'd rather let him manage his defensive game and his screens and get those minutes than pretend our coach has some magic sauce to pull the game out with him down the stretch. It's coaching vanity and they all do it. The rest is up to the refs but we need maximum minutes before a top 10 team at home blows a game open. Just my opinion.
He put Clingan back in the game in the first half. So not sure what your point is. But I will say this. Once he went back in he was not the same player. If you recall, Jim Calhoun kept Okafor out the entire first half of the national semi final against Dook after he picked up his second foul.

Reaction Score

Seth Davis is still an insufferable Dookie. He's always hated UConn.

Kalkbrenner played all 40 minutes and had 15 points, 5 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Clingan played 26 minutes and had 12 points, 7 rebounds and 1 block.

How is that being completely outplayed? The difference in the 2 is that one is a senior and one is a sophomore. The senior is more savvy about not committing fouls.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yup that is exactly why we lost. And since we lost now we have no chance at doing anything like winning the BE regular season championship, winning the Big East tourney and certainly we have no chance to win the national championship, let’s call it a season before someone posts something that is so horrible it keeps us from winning another game ever. I have heard the words and terms absurd, nonsense, FOS and conspiracy this week. Yup we lost because of a post. I am certain that is exactly what Clingan was thinking when he picked up his second foul. Someone on the BY said we are going to three peat.
I believe that this post is much worse than anything you are criticizing.

You know that what you've written is untruthful, and yet you put it out into the universe and then pile it higher and higher. There is nothing helpful about it. It is the equivalent of praying for what you don't want by invoking what you disbelieve. At best, it's meaningless; at worst, it's damaging. Your best rejoinder would be to claim that it's harmless. I say that it is not.

Reaction Score

How is that being completely outplayed? The difference in the 2 is that one is a senior and one is a sophomore. The senior is more savvy about not committing fouls.

Agree, both bigs were dominant defensively when in. Creighton won the game at the 3pt line, not the paint.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Check out the quote tweets and replies. He got dunked on with the stats you provided lol

Reaction Score

Clingan takes himself out of games, Kalk does not.

Clingan is a better player, Kalk is a smarter defender who rarely fouls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom