Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
He can be adequate at times but we a know now he is not a starting BE 5. Not even debateable.
I mean, he doesn't have to be? We have Cling Kong.

I wouldn't project out to next year based on this game. He was matched against a Senior and multiple year DPOY

Reaction Score

I wouldn't project out to next year based on this game. He was matched against a Senior and multiple year DPOY
Not talking this year. You think he can start for us next year?

Reaction Score
Danny make these adjustments:
  • Sit DC immediately after his first foul for a few minutes. Yelling "when will he learn?" isn't working. Let him cool off
  • If Cam can't get open, try Hass or Solo. At least tire Ashworth by making him chase 3 instead of one and of course D him up
  • 40 minutes of soft press on Creighton. Took em out of their game a bit.
  • Steph, love your slashes to the basket but either kick it out to Cam or pass to a big underneath. Running into a 7' 1" guy ain't working.

Danny listen to this advice. I was third string on my UConn intramural team (division 8). I was a power forward.

Reaction Score
Not talking this year. You think he can start for us next year?
I don't know but I'm not drawing definitive conclusions from last night. Obviously his post defense needs major work

Reaction Score
Samson's regression has become a real problem. He's more likely to foul than grab a rebound. It's become a problem when everyone is praying Clingan doesn't get into foul trouble. His numbers the past 5 games look scary for a 6'10 guy

10 minutes, 0 rebounds, 3 fouls
12 minutes, 3 rebounds, 4 fouls
12 minutes, 1 rebound, 3 fouls
15 minutes, 1 rebound, 5 fouls
12 minutes, 0 rebounds, 4 fouls

Reaction Score

Samson is averaging 4/2/0 with 3.6 fouls in 17mpg in conference play. I'm not sure you can even consider that as being a capable backup. The goal of your backup is to play decent defense and rebound to hold down the fort. Samson does neither adequately.

He had a nice strong start to the season and looked great versus the cupcakes. But against the real teams in OOC he wasn't great outside of that staggering 15/8/2 performance versus Texas. That game got our hopes up about another twin towers. But he put up 2/3/1 with 3.3 fouls OOC versus the other major conference opponents in 15 mpg... That's simply not good enough for this level.

Without an absolutely stacked stable of guards (Newton, Cam, Hass, Steph) leaving this team, we need to accept that we MUST get a transfer portal big. And we should probably be hoping that Singare develops enough to be the backup too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
.Steph, love your slashes to the basket but either kick it out to Cam or pass to a big underneath. Running into a 7' 1" guy ain't working.
He scored several times through/over Kalk and drew at least one foul on him, maybe both. 3/6 from 2, no turnovers in the paint

You can't just kick to a guy if the defense isn't collapsing and helping. They weren't, which is why Newton had a field day in the paint but everyone else struggled.

Reaction Score
Samson looked lost for the whole 12 minutes he played: 0 pts, 0 Rebounds, 1 assist and 4 PFs. As such, he was a liability, and not an asset.
The half court offense looked pretty lost. We were unable to free anyone up for a three.

Reaction Score
I agree that fatigue from that game 2 days ago was a factor.
It's cumulative. We played 3 games in 6 days, including a late one at DePaul, travel back to CT, and then travel all the way out to Omaha. It was like the worst of AAC scheduling all over again.

That said, if we're going to lay claim to being the #1 dominant team, we have to subdue good teams at their place who are playing like it's their Super Bowl.

The response against Nova on Saturday, and how we approach tough road games at Marquette and Providence, will be telling.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We were rolling with Clingan in. No one is more important to their team than Clingan. Then the flop happens and the game goes away. If Clingan has one foul going into half, we win the game. Johnson hedging horribly destroyed any defensive form we tried to have. Maybe Stewart at the 5 next time.

Looks like McDermott told the ref to make the call right before it happened to give Clingan a second foul via @Storrs South

Reaction Score
He scored several times through/over Kalk and drew at least one foul on him, maybe both. 3/6 from 2, no turnovers in the paint

You can't just kick to a guy if the defense isn't collapsing and helping. They weren't, which is why Newton had a field day in the paint but everyone else struggled.

Was about to say... Steph didn't look like the issue to me. 1v1 at the rim, I want him taking every shot he gets.

Reaction Score
He’s quicker. That was the point. He might get his shot off. This game showed where we miss Hawkins. He would have gotten his shot off.
Hawkins was 8-30 in his career against Creighton, Cam is 8-21 in his career against Creighton. We all know Cam had a really bad game last night but Hawkins sucked against Creighton.

Reaction Score
Samson's regression has become a real problem. He's more likely to foul than grab a rebound. It's become a problem when everyone is praying Clingan doesn't get into foul trouble. His numbers the past 5 games look scary for a 6'10 guy

10 minutes, 0 rebounds, 3 fouls
12 minutes, 3 rebounds, 4 fouls
12 minutes, 1 rebound, 3 fouls
15 minutes, 1 rebound, 5 fouls
12 minutes, 0 rebounds, 4 fouls
His inability to rebound and catch a pass that is not a lob is truly insane.

Reaction Score
We were rolling with Clingan in. No one is more important to their team than Clingan. Then the flop happens and the game goes away. If Clingan has one foul going into half, we win the game. Johnson hedging horribly destroyed any defensive form we tried to have. Maybe Stewart at the 5 next time.

Looks like McDermott told the ref to make the call right before it happened to give Clingan a second foul via @Storrs South

I've watched it a bunch and I'm 99% sure that:

1) Clingan never touched Ashworth
2) Ashworth fell of his own accord on the floor
3) it was not the best screen (not sure if just Clingan was late or was not set up well by timing of guards) but considering he never made contact and it should be a no call.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Teams are going to have off nights. I am glad it happened on a February Tuesday in Omaha rather than a March Thursday through Sunday in Boston.

Creighton doesn't suck, UConn played badly, and the Huskies got thumped. Moving on.

Reaction Score
We lost. Team didn't play well - partly due to early foul trouble for Clingan (whether justified or not), partly due to us being a bit worn down from 3 games in 7 days, and partly due to a difficult road environment. It happens. On top of not playing well, Creighton also played lights out.

I'd still take us over Creighton on a neutral court any day.

We need to learn from the loss, and move on to the next game. Need the Nova win - but they are playing for their lives and it won't be easy (even at home). Then we have a much needed 7-day break.

Reaction Score
Why did our 3's shooters not produce last night? Well, can we talk officiating? I know. I know. Blame the foul calls for a poor performance. But if you look at the game on defense we were playing back because of some early dink foul calls - like the two on Clingan within 5 minutes. On the other side Creighton played hand check and body checks throughout on the perimeter shooters that weren't called. Enough of those will set the course for a game pretty quickly. But Hurley and the coaches are biting their tongues because they know if they say anything derogatory it will come back at them two fold. So best to shut up and eat the loss.

Reaction Score
Samson is averaging 4/2/0 with 3.6 fouls in 17mpg in conference play. I'm not sure you can even consider that as being a capable backup. The goal of your backup is to play decent defense and rebound to hold down the fort. Samson does neither adequately
Thanks for providing the stats. My guy Slamson puts up some highlights but you're absolutely right he has been less than stellar.

I hope he figures some stuff out down the stretch and makes a big jump for next year. But I have a habit of rooting for our guys more than analyzing them

Reaction Score

Oof, did not realize the call was that bad. Wasn’t even close to an offensive foul. Still, Clingan going out does not excuse the defensive lapses we had. Hurley and staff will make adjustments though.

Reaction Score
Thanks for providing the stats. My guy Slamson puts up some highlights but you're absolutely right he has been less than stellar.

I hope he figures some stuff out down the stretch and makes a big jump for next year. But I have a habit of rooting for our guys more than analyzing them

I do think he has a Hassan-esque improvement in him over the summer. But relying on that improvement for our starting big would be pretty silly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom