Creighton Post Game thread (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maly hit two threes in the first half over ONO that got them close, and Geno took her right out.
I thought that was a great move. He put Aliyah on her and Caroline got her on a switch and it stopped her run of threes. It was just a bad matchup for Olivia.

I also liked watching the defense played by Caroline and Aliyah on cutters through the lane. Not perfect every time but fundamentally sound.

And you'll never see it in the boxscore or stat sheet but Nika made a big difference. Even an intangible thing like bringing the ball up the floor, shoulders forward like a good running back, aggressively looking for an open player. I know she makes mistakes but she doesn't play as if she's afraid to make a mistake. That's bigger than some people realize.

Reaction Score
Overall some very welcome sights. Muhl back with some terrific energy when she first came in and nice seeing Edwards going strong to the basket. Too many unforced turnovers by UCONN between lackadaisical passes and travels that stopped momentum or prevented baskets.

At halftime, Geno was pleased with the defense, but frustrated with the offense. “Our guard play sucked – there’s no other word for it”. Can’t argue with that.

I found it amazing in the first half how Creighton was able to shake the defender for nice bank shots off the backboard. It almost seemed like they were “lucky” shots, but so many went in that I can’t attribute it to that. On the other hand, Creighton packed it in knowing our 3-point shooting is suspect and really harassed anyone who got the ball near the hoop.

The announcers said the Creighton coach planned to wear UCONN down with their depth and our lack of depth and figured they could keep it close and make a run in the 4th quarter. Q’w 2 and 3 were close, but we built the lead up to 17 in Q4 and held on as Creighton made their run. 5 minute FG drought did not help.

Dorka – Continued her strong play. I wonder if the “boo-birds” who said early on “All B10 team? How is that possible?”. Love her aggressiveness, she’s athletic, and can cover the perimeter as well as the post.

Aaliyah – is it possible that the Aaliyah that we saw last season who showed so much promise is back? Very active on defense, and in spite of a few TO’s and missed shots, was really strong going to the basket. Loved her steal and drive to the basket in the 1st quarter.

Caroline – should not be taking 3 point shots from way out – when she’s closer in, better change of making the basket. Having said that, very little she did to complain about. Moves her feet well on defense, blocks without fouling, and can score from everywhere on the floor. Probably the best player on the floor today.

Olivia – not a lot of scoring, but really solid on the defense. She’s athletic and able to (for the most part) get out on the perimeter and cover Creighton – who does not have a lot of inside play, but has a lot of shooters.

Nika – unfortunately picked up 3 fouls in the 1st half, but here energy and ball control seemed better than the other 2 guards. I felt more comfortable watching her run the point than Evina or Christyn. Her energy seems to be back to where it was last season which helps me understand how her foot injury impacted her play early this season. So glad to see her back. Wish she had knocked down 1 of those 3’s, but 1st game back – happy to see!

Christyn – Another unsurprising sub-par game. As Geno said at halftime “our guard play sucks”. Poor decision making, poor passing, I fear that the CW that we saw the final month of last season is gone for good. The new hairdo did nothing to improve her game. Sadly with all the injuries, we have no other options. And I say that knowing full well she scored double figures and grabbed 5 rebounds. She did have that nice spurt in Q4. But she seems to drive to the basket and then contort her body to avoid being fouled. Not sure why she has never leaned into fouls like so many ND guards have done over the years.

Evina - not sure what is going on with her but even if Paige is playing, 1 shot in a game is not good. Lazy passes, failing to box out her player when she takes a shot, sort of mystifying play from a 5th year senior on a team that needs her to be "more".
With Bueckers out, I can't believe Creighton didn't half court trap UConn the full game. Not for steals, hands off, no fouls, just keep them from running any semblance of offense. Their ballhandling and passing against pressure is atrocious.

Reaction Score
This senior class is just missing the it factor. I've enjoyed watching them, and they've certainly contributed to their fair share of uconn wins. But I fear they just aren't the right pieces.
I’ve been having similar fears. :(

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
He's not unhappy about her complaints. he is unhappy that she fouls to much (due apparently to her not understanding or agreeing with how fouls are called) and therefore gets pulled off the court to quickly to get in a rhythm
And I am guessing that the refs, either consciously or subconsciously, notice that Nika "complains" about almost every foul call.

Reaction Score
Does CW deserve it, or is the current best option?
I think it's a mix of both. Right now, she's the best option at the 2 spot. In the scenario above, we are assuming Paige is back playing, so I'd value CW's ability to score at the 2 spot above Evina's ability to distribute. Azzi is the wild card, but at this point, nobody knows what to expect from her coming from injury. We still don't know how her game will translate to D1 competition.

And I can't remember a time when Geno removed a 4 year starter from the starting lineup, especially late in their final season (she's started108/109 games). To me that is playing with fire. You either light a fire in the player to prove you wrong, or you mess with their confidence. So maybe there's a little "she deserves it" as well.

Reaction Score
Read all the posts, looking for someone to say something about the lack of low post play in the second half ( I know, more important to just bash the seniors). In the 1st half Edwards and Dorka both got a few entry passes, and either scored or were fouled. In the second half, they rarely went down low, rather were outside, not doing much of any value. For me to notice it had to be pretty obvious. Don't know what the stats were, but don't think either one did much scoring in the 2nd half. Just don't get it.

Reaction Score
Big Muhl fan but Auriemma is right on. She needs to temper her emotion with some smarts; she gives this group something they sorely lack but you can’t provide it from the bench.
And frankly, showing the refs up on every call is just dumb.
Also, it’s going to cost her court time both from accumulated legit fouls; and I’d guess if a foul call is close, the Refs will hang it on her.
If she’s as smart as I think she is, she’ll rein it in a bit.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Overall, I agree. But, bench ONO first. I don't think she cares anymore
I could be wrong but when we have 2 bigs in the game it seems the offense runs smoother. And Liv should not be guarding against 3 point shots on defense. Hurts her and our rebounding.

Reaction Score
Big Muhl fan but Auriemma is right on. She needs to temper her emotion with some smarts; she gives this group something they sorely lack but you can’t provide it from the bench.
LoL But she is what she is
When she is on the floor I forget about all the NC hoopla and just enjoy her intensity and demeanor

Reaction Score
Hard to disagree with your synopsis. I was very disappointed with both EW’s body language and game performance. It appeared at times she wasn’t engaged in the game, and some of the lazy passes had to have GA reaching for the Tums. When you only have eight your fifth year senior should be leading the parade. Lots of other positives with the play of AE, the energy NM brought, and the steady play of CD, DJ, CW, & ONO. It was great to see Nika back on the court, even with the rust she brings grittiness and positive energy anytime she is playing.
I agree. It looked like she was playing in a scrimmage. No court awareness at all.

Reaction Score
When Paige returns the starting line up will go back to the way it was last year I think: Nika, Paige, CW, Evina, ONO. The only question is how long do certain starters stay out there, and I say not long when you have Edwards, Dorka, Fudd, and Caroline as your next four.
Caroline is the best player on this team right now. If that continues, it would be nuts to not have her in the starting lineup. Nika is #6 unless CW and EW continue to underperform.

Reaction Score
I missed the game but reading some of the comments, it was a decent game. Hey I am just glad that our UConn squad got the win especially being down to 7 players and not having played a game in 3 weeks. Well done, players and coaching staff!!

Reaction Score
Don’t want to rain on your parade- but the height tops out at 6’1” on Creighton.
Should have done much more with a 4” height advantage.
But she DID seem to be moving better.

Reaction Score
So when she comes back, who does she replace in the starting lineup? Conundrum time
If you mean Ducharme, EW or CW take your pick. She's better than both right now.

Reaction Score
Agree completely. There's no way it should take more than a season of college games and practices to understand what's a foul and what isn't. Can't believe this hasn't been fixed in practice.

Reaction Score
The team is much better offensively with Nika but the reason is not just because of her point defense but rather because she starts a break every time she gets the ball on the defensive end by going at full speed. Evina’s full speed is noticeably less with the ball. She gets the ball downcourt quickly and with vision and the faster we play on offense in transition the better. Evina was just nowhere today. Lazy passes, one shot, passing up 3s, it’s as though she is going through the motions. I don’t understand it even with her out of position somewhat. She has a wide range of shots and moves.

Caroline is a player. She does the fundamental things so well like moving without the ball, getting position, and defending smartly. She knows how to get a shot off, has a nose for the basket, and is fearless. Dorka is starting to come into her own as well.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that both Nika and AE are only now in last season’s form. I don’t think it was just injuries. I think it was their off seasons. They hurt both of them. If Nika can play twice as much I think the team can take a large step. Evina is just plain uncomfortable at the point for whatever reason and would be a better scorer overnight if she moves to the 2.

When Azzi comes back you now have another 3 shooter you have to defend on the arc. It means the middle gets open even more and that helps our bigs. Turnovers have to greatly be reduced, boxing out has to take place, and everyone, not just Caroline, had to move all the time with cuts and back doors.

It wasn’t FF material today but it was something to build on and it was exciting just seeing our ladies play a game.

Reaction Score
Don’t want to rain on your parade- but the height tops out at 6’1” on Creighton.
Should have done much more with a 4” height advantage.
But she DID seem to be moving better.
UConn has 4 players 6'5"; Aaliyah is not one of them.

Reaction Score
Read all the posts, looking for someone to say something about the lack of low post play in the second half ( I know, more important to just bash the seniors). In the 1st half Edwards and Dorka both got a few entry passes, and either scored or were fouled. In the second half, they rarely went down low, rather were outside, not doing much of any value. For me to notice it had to be pretty obvious. Don't know what the stats were, but don't think either one did much scoring in the 2nd half. Just don't get it.
I see Dorka getting good position down low early in possession, has her man sealed, and they just don't get her the ball

Reaction Score
Overall some very welcome sights. Muhl back with some terrific energy when she first came in and nice seeing Edwards going strong to the basket. Too many unforced turnovers by UCONN between lackadaisical passes and travels that stopped momentum or prevented baskets.

At halftime, Geno was pleased with the defense, but frustrated with the offense. “Our guard play sucked – there’s no other word for it”. Can’t argue with that.

I found it amazing in the first half how Creighton was able to shake the defender for nice bank shots off the backboard. It almost seemed like they were “lucky” shots, but so many went in that I can’t attribute it to that. On the other hand, Creighton packed it in knowing our 3-point shooting is suspect and really harassed anyone who got the ball near the hoop.

The announcers said the Creighton coach planned to wear UCONN down with their depth and our lack of depth and figured they could keep it close and make a run in the 4th quarter. Q’w 2 and 3 were close, but we built the lead up to 17 in Q4 and held on as Creighton made their run. 5 minute FG drought did not help.

Dorka – Continued her strong play. I wonder if the “boo-birds” who said early on “All B10 team? How is that possible?”. Love her aggressiveness, she’s athletic, and can cover the perimeter as well as the post.

Aaliyah – is it possible that the Aaliyah that we saw last season who showed so much promise is back? Very active on defense, and in spite of a few TO’s and missed shots, was really strong going to the basket. Loved her steal and drive to the basket in the 1st quarter.

Caroline – should not be taking 3 point shots from way out – when she’s closer in, better change of making the basket. Having said that, very little she did to complain about. Moves her feet well on defense, blocks without fouling, and can score from everywhere on the floor. Probably the best player on the floor today.

Olivia – not a lot of scoring, but really solid on the defense. She’s athletic and able to (for the most part) get out on the perimeter and cover Creighton – who does not have a lot of inside play, but has a lot of shooters.

Nika – unfortunately picked up 3 fouls in the 1st half, but here energy and ball control seemed better than the other 2 guards. I felt more comfortable watching her run the point than Evina or Christyn. Her energy seems to be back to where it was last season which helps me understand how her foot injury impacted her play early this season. So glad to see her back. Wish she had knocked down 1 of those 3’s, but 1st game back – happy to see!

Christyn – Another unsurprising sub-par game. As Geno said at halftime “our guard play sucks”. Poor decision making, poor passing, I fear that the CW that we saw the final month of last season is gone for good. The new hairdo did nothing to improve her game. Sadly with all the injuries, we have no other options. And I say that knowing full well she scored double figures and grabbed 5 rebounds. She did have that nice spurt in Q4. But she seems to drive to the basket and then contort her body to avoid being fouled. Not sure why she has never leaned into fouls like so many ND guards have done over the years.

Evina - not sure what is going on with her but even if Paige is playing, 1 shot in a game is not good. Lazy passes, failing to box out her player when she takes a shot, sort of mystifying play from a 5th year senior on a team that needs her to be "more".
Evina had 6 turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#