Creighton post game (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton post game (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should someone point out that Creighton is not even in the top 30 in the AP poll and doesn’t register in the Coaches Poll?
Head coach gets sick and is suddenly out, another day another starter out (Dorka), no Paige, no Aubrey, 2nd best team in the conference at their place, 4th straight road game in 11 days, and who knows if/how many on the team have what Geno has. I'll take it.

Reaction Score
I missed the actual vomiting during the game. Something to look into when I watch MJL243's replay. :eek:
Don't think you'll see it, but when she goes to the bench she has her head in her hands and you can see someone dragging one of those big janitorial garbage cans to right behind her seat.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Don't think you'll see it, but when she goes to the bench she has her head in her hands and you can see someone dragging one of those big janitorial garbage cans to right behind her seat.
I did see that...thanks tho.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you re-watch most of the games she in fact does not have that quick pass to cutters when they beat their defender

Nika is only a sophomore and still learning. As a point guard, she’s pretty front and center so there’s a spotlight on her and illuminating her errors. I thought she had a decent game tonight. Yes, she missed a couple cutters and she missed an open Azzi before taking unfortunate shots but, overall, her game is improving.

She’s cut down on turnovers and is better at controlling the pace rather than just trying to run down the court as fast as she can. She actually initiated the offense several times, something I had complained about a while back. Nika’s game is developing, under pressure no less. She’s coming along nicely

Reaction Score
Nika is only a sophomore and still learning. As a point guard, she’s pretty front and center so there’s a spotlight on her and illuminating her errors. I thought she had a decent game tonight. Yes, she missed a couple cutters and she missed an open Azzi before taking unfortunate shots but, overall, her game is improving.

She’s cut down on turnovers and is better at controlling the pace rather than just trying to run down the court as fast as she can. She actually initiated the offense several times, something I had complained about a while back. Nika’s game is developing, under pressure no less. She’s coming along nicely
I agree with that. She is improving and she's only a sophomore. Not trying to be a hater. She's certainly trying as hard as she can and I'm glad she's on the team. She is cutting her turnovers and her fouls. She's not driving inside only to be stuffed out or stopped by a big. She's improving.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
They better get out of Nebraska tonight. They have to cross the path of that big storm heading to the Northeast, and be ready to play at home on Friday.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Evina needs to start not Muhl….quoting Coach John Wooden “ a lot of activity without any achievement” she can help the team coming off the bench once the team can get to full strength….against an elite team she will be an offensive liability that far exceeds her toughness and hustle….nice complimentary player….Azzi also needs to play ahead of her….
I'm rather torn on this and would rather keep things as they are until Paige returns. My reasoning is that this would be the 4th major change of position UCONN would be asking Evina to make in her short 1.5 season at UCONN. She started off playing the 3 (SF) last season and was changed into playing the 4 when Nika was inserted into the starting line up which featured 4 guards. With the arrival of Dorka this season and prior to page getting hurt Evina was returned to starting at the 3. With the injury to Paige she was asked to move into the starting PG role while Nika was injured. With the emergence of Caroline she was removed from the starting lineup. Now we would be asking her to return to the starting line up as a PG. That's too many changes IMO.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
This is one of the most fulfilling games I've seen in a while. Sure, the first quarter and a half was frustrating. Very frustrating. But the comeback and jelling (gelling, if you prefer) of this team was a pleasure to watch. This team took a major step forward today. We know we are blessed with a team of superior basketball players, but so much of the game is mental. They took a huge mental leap forward and that will serve the team well moving forward. I am so proud of this team. Way to go!!!
Agreed I like how they are not collapsing in the 4th. I got one wish- I said I wanted them to win, didn't care how in my "3 things to see" post- unfortunately two people are sick. This season is like giving with one hand and taking with the other. Happy still-got the W.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I sort of feel this team is a bit like the movie Forrest Gump - they are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get. So we got a little bit of everything in this game.

Super frustrating Q1 - poor energy, little to no offense, standing around, lack of ball movement, and the opponent shooting 50% from 3. Then they started righting the ship in Q2, and continued with it in the 2nd half. It was the 2nd game with no Dorka. Geno made a comment about how hard it is for chemistry on the team to constantly have people entering and exiting the lineup. Just when you think we have turned the corner and we are going to have an extended period of consistent player availability, Dorka goes down (just for a few games, but the point is it's hard for continuity).

It really makes you realize that this team is not just a "plug and play". You can't just plug in a replacement and expect things to go smoothly. And Creighton is no slouch. I believe then are a NCAA tournament team.
  • No UCONN player had more than 2 fouls until Azzi picked up #3 late.
  • we shot over 41% from 3 in spite of Nika going 1-7.
  • 5 players scored 10 points or more
  • Olivia not only had great stats, but also had 6 assists and 2 steals. She is my POG
  • Christyn had a nice all around game
  • Caroline was judicious with her 3 point shooting!
  • Nika had 5 assists and 5 boards
  • Azzi continues to get acclimated to the team
  • Evina shone again off the bench
  • The mystery of Aaliyah continues
I'm sure there are some individual things to pick on from the coaches when they do the video review, but a very solid win against a good team. Thoughts and good energy for Geno.
Eric, the reason for UConn’s slow start was because of a slight case of “jet-lag.” :confused: Luckily they were able to shake it off late in the second quarter and finish on a nice run to get back in the game.

You could see the momentum swing over to us. In the chatroom at halftime, I predicted that Creighton would not come out to begin the 3rd quarter as they did to begin the game. I was right. They shot their wad in the first half. They were held to their lowest point total in a quarter this season in the 2nd quarter with 8. Everyone brought something tonight. Chris Daley is still undefeated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Nika is developing and showing improvement in many areas however not in the most critical one which is shooting the basketball.
Her deep shooting has regressed she is now shooting 23% from deep for the season. Her next FG attempt from mid-range will be her first. What makes Nika shooting critical is that the vast majority of her Deep attempts are uncontested. When the defense is conceding that many shots (Nika took 7 tonight) it just makes everyone else job that much harder.

Reaction Score
I am not a Nika's defender but she can't win with some of the fans. You complain when she does not even make an attempt of shooting the ball, you complain when she takes wide-open shots and misses (how many times have you heard lately when Geno said if you are open, take the shot instead of passing the ball), you complain that she misses cutter in the lane (I think this whole team is not a great passing instinct, not just Nika, usually a fraction too late to allow the defense to recover instead of anticipating the cut). It's not her fault that she is out there and they have been told to shoot when open, which is what she did. I wish she would find a way to score more but I can't fault her for trying when they leave her wide open.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A really rough start to the game, but things always look worse when the opponent is shooting lights out. Geno has said many times that there is a difference between playing well and shooting well, but we did give up way too many open looks early.

I thought ONO showed a ton of fight, and she and Caroline really sparked us offensively. I was befuddled by Chris Dailey's subbing rotation, especially with respect to Caroline. But seeing her with the bucket in Q4 might explain that.

Incredibly pleased by our 42% shooting from the floor and 100% from the FT line. I never thought we'd ever go perfect from the charity stripe this season.

Lastly, Azzi must get better at getting open, and her teammates must get better at finding her when she is. Her shot is dynamite, and will completely change this team. I have visions of KML hitting threes in transition.

Solid win with a lot of lessons to take away.

Major props to ONO tonight. She played like a senior, and provided the court leadership they needed tonight. I’d like to see her put up those kind of numbers every game.

Because of her bumpy start, and a 7 week layoff, Azzi may not get in sync until late in the season. Let's hope she doesn't wait too long.

If UConn makes up those 3 other BE games that were postponed earlier, we are going to be playing a lot of games this month.

Tip in.....Allan Bestwick reported during the game that ONO is the only UConn player this season to play in every game. In a season where players are off and on of the “available” list for games, Olivia has answered the bell every night. A tip ‘o the turban to Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Well done!! :)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am not a Nika's defender but she can't win with some of the fans. You complain when she does not even make an attempt of shooting the ball, you complain when she takes wide-open shots and misses (how many times have you heard lately when Geno said if you are open, take the shot instead of passing the ball), you complain that she misses cutter in the lane (I think this whole team is not a great passing instinct, not just Nika, usually a fraction too late to allow the defense to recover instead of anticipating the cut). It's not her fault that she is out there and they have been told to shoot when open, which is what she did. I wish she would find a way to score more but I can't fault her for trying when they leave her wide open.
Geno also said there is a reason why some kids are left wide open. Nika is being left WIDE OPEN, she can win by shooting more accurately.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
as the father of a daughter in college, I know throwing up in the dorm bathroom while a friend or two help out is no fun............throwing up in front of a large crowd plus a tv audience must be mortifying...........I wonder whether she will want to see the replay when she's feeling better....:oops:

Some folks have been comparing Caroline to Lou. This is just another example. :D

Lou's barf bucket game at Maryland was gritty and stellar.

Reaction Score
Geno also said there is a reason why some kids are left wide open. Nika is being left WIDE OPEN, she can win by shooting more accurately.
It takes patience, and doesn't happen overnight. I remember defenses daring Moriah Jefferson to shoot, or Kelly Faris to shoot. The board complained about that to no end, and eventually both became efficient 3 point threats. Nika is only a sophomore, she still has time to improve. Doesn't happen overnight.

Reaction Score
It takes patience, and doesn't happen overnight. I remember defenses daring Moriah Jefferson to shoot, or Kelly Faris to shoot. The board complained about that to no end, and eventually both became efficient 3 point threats. Nika is only a sophomore, she still has time to improve. Doesn't happen overnight.
Also I recall reading that Nika started playing ball late, she will get it

Reaction Score
Depaul is a better team overall than Creighton though I would think. Did Creighton have any players that really stood out? They had some 3 point shooters but they had to double and triple team all night in the paint and still couldn't stop ONO.

Reaction Score
Nika shot the ball when Azzi was open:mad: I was yelling at the TV again
What looks open from a camera in the cheap seats is not always open when you're on the floor. There are players in the way. I don't think Nika, or any of this bunch, has the best court vision, and I think they miss a lot of passes but it's a different look on the floor.

In a motion offense you need to pass quickly. Decisions should be made quickly. A good example is Caroline's move to the basket when she posts up. Quick. Something that has made Naz Hillmon really effective. Somebody like Azzi may benefit from getting the pass quicker in her cut. And she might could benefit from moving sooner in the offense instead of killing the grass on the sideline until they're three passes in. Something which I'm sure she knows but this is not a roll-out-the-ball offense and let the best athletes win. You have to learn it and she's still brand new.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*The start was so depressing, it looked like UConn will have on of the worst loses ever. They couldn't do anything right (missed layups, missed defensive assignments, could shoot strait from anywhere) and Creighton looked smart, great shooting, hard working team.
*Credit to the UConn kids to be able to find their inner warrior and turn it around.
*Creighton is a nice team. Very smart with great shooters and hard working but very small and not athletic so on defense when UConn started to communicate on the switches and on the pick and rolls, they could stop them. On offense UConn did a real good job on playing to their advantages over Creighton (Hight and athleticism).
*ONO was great but will not be able to do it against top bigs because she's got no moves under the basket.
*CW was great. Again, doing what she does best (going strong to the basket).
*AE played real hard and saved some balls because of her effort but as far as basketball skills go, she is very limited (at least from what she showed this season).
*This was one of the better games of Evina. No lazy passes and worked hard on both offense (her 2 3's kept UConn in the game in the beginning when it seemed no one could do anything right) and defense.
*CD; i just love the wat this kid plays. while she had some hero ball attempts in the first half, she was great in the 3rd quarter. what is very encouraging about her is that she find different ways to score and truly is capable in all 3 levels.
*Azzi: i wish she'll shoot 10-15 shots a game. The UConn offense will look much better! she is not a great defender but sure is not a bad one. there were some points she missed her assignment and was confused (in the first half) but i assume because of her luck of experience with the team.
Nika: if you are open and Azzi is open, please pass the ball to Azzi.
Generally speaking what holds back UConn's offense in the half court is the slow decision making. I assume they are trying not to turnover the ball but those late passes and missing open cutters makes the game harder than it should. That is one of the things that makes Paige amazing is her ability to pass the ball with no hesitation to exactly where it needs to go in exactly the time is should be delivered.
All in all a satisfying game because of the great turn-around in an away game against a top team in the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom