Creighton advances! (Merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Creighton advances! (Merged)

Reaction Score
I thought Clark did a good job of trying to find her teammates when her shots weren't falling. But except for Czinano, it looked like nobody else wanted to take a shot. There seemed to be a lot of hesitation in their offense today.

Reaction Score
Just watched a replay of this game. What I noticed is that it isn't like Creighton played out of their minds to get the win. The 3s didn't fall much in the 2nd half. They missed layup after layup. It's just that Iowa wasn't all that great. Talk about missed layups and other opportunities.

Reaction Score

As long as you can sellout at neutral sites. Otherwise the excitement from the fans makes the game a lot of fun. If there is a dead audience not near as fun to watch other than for diehard fans. Then it comes down to losing money.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As long as you can sellout at neutral sites. Otherwise the excitement from the fans makes the game a lot of fun. If there is a dead audience not near as fun to watch other than for diehard fans. Then it comes down to losing money.
Didn't they try 'neutral' pods for first weekend some years ago and it didn't go really well - small crowds.

Reaction Score
Creighton actually got a pretty good draw for the tournament. Iowa was clearly the least formidable 2 seed, and with their style of play, any team that can make shots has a chance to beat them. Against any other 2 I don’t think Creighton wins.

Now they get the winner of Georgia or Iowa St. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them be competitive against other of those teams. Would be quite something to see them get to the elite 8 and a matchup with South Carolina.
They will be very competitive against Iowa State, which is very similar to Iowa. Overly dependent on one player and quite porous defensively.

Reaction Score
No I’m not, I thought you were. Lol. Creighton had some bad losses during the season, and didn’t have any notable or dominant wins. Lost to Drake, Marqette, South Dakota, and lost to Seton Hall in Big East Tournament. Considering that, I thought a 10 seed was very generous.
You mean the terrible South Dakota team that crushed Baylor on Baylor's home court?

Reaction Score
Anyone think having to play against Paige twice a year for two years didn't help these young women? The best advertisement for the Big East in a long time.
Agreed but only to a point. I think it isn’t playing against just Paige that helped the other BE teams but playing against Geno’s entire team that made them tournament tough. ESPN also helped by pumping up Iowa and the rest of the BIG 10.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As an impartial observer, I thought the refs let the two teams play yesterday. Whenever that happens both teams experience potential “non-calls” throughout the game. But it’s always the losing team that ends up complaining about the refs.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This is a huge win, not just for Creighton, but for the Big East as a whole. Finally, someone other than UConn is pumping up the conference. Even over at the orange forum, the one that calls our conference the Big Least admitted that they were impressed, and that the league may be better than they thought. More wins by the other teams is good for UConn, and Creightons ability to win in a hostile crowd is impressive. It is also a wakeup call that our crowd will help us, but will not win for us. Today its time to beat UCF, and Villanova to come through with a win of their own. Three BE teams in the sweet 16 is hard to imagine, but really possible. Go Big East

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some interesting stats from my early am perusal of articles:
52-27 CU rebounding edge
19-8 CU 2nd chance points
9 of 10 final points scored by CU's Jensen
Iowa's 62 pts lowest of season
IU Czinano 60% fg, 3-4 FT
IU Clark 21% fg
Both teams shot 35.8%
CU starters ranged 12-36 min, IU 31-40
IU bench 5, 8, 12 mins (25) vs CU 3, 11, 26, 28 (68)
Amazingly, CU had 14 TO vs UI 6

Reaction Score
What did we learn from today?
Closely guard the big scorers...

Tony and olde Dude may be right
If you can spread out your scoring i makes you
more difficult.
As always, the Dude Abides.
So pleased for the Big East, and parity seems to have arrived.
Worried about tonight's game - those kids are a tough bunch.

Reaction Score
Great discussion; always like visiting the Boneyard for womens BB. Random thoughts on your comments:

Interesting stat about Iowa's record vs Clark's 3 point attempts. I witnessed the same trend while she was in high school; our high school beat her 4 out of 5 games and pretty much similar stats. Her talents were obvious though.

I thought Caitlin did a great job of trying to get the rest of the team involved when they were trailing; wouldn't have been that way in high school. A step in the maturation process.

Her complaining and exaggerating contact is definitely a fault that needs correction. A long time habit that detracts from the kind of person she really is and counterproductive to the team. Can't play defense when you're sprawled out on the floor. If she wants to work the refs, discreetly get in their ear when play is stopped; I'm sure it doesn't sit well with the officials in its present form.

If Iowa only misses 21 layups they win the game. :mad:

How do you lose when you have only 6 turnovers?

Bluder's statistical criticism of refereeing might be accurate, but absolutely did not affect the game's outcome. Iowa looked tight the entire game: passes and shots had just a fraction of a second's hesitation to them, and that never ends well. Credit to Creighton for pressuring most of those missed shots as well. Creighton handled the tension of the moment much better than Iowa. Hopefully they'll learn from it.

Reaction Score
Fun fact: Creighton hasn’t had a transfer OUT of their program for nearly 10 years. Says a lot about the relationships and development of players.

…. I read this a couple months ago when I was looking into BigEast 2022 recruiting classes.

Reaction Score
I thought when UCONN beat her last year that she wasn't very graceful in defeat either. Not that she needs to be but . . .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Great discussion; always like visiting the Boneyard for womens BB. Random thoughts on your comments:

Interesting stat about Iowa's record vs Clark's 3 point attempts. I witnessed the same trend while she was in high school; our high school beat her 4 out of 5 games and pretty much similar stats. Her talents were obvious though.

I thought Caitlin did a great job of trying to get the rest of the team involved when they were trailing; wouldn't have been that way in high school. A step in the maturation process.

Her complaining and exaggerating contact is definitely a fault that needs correction. A long time habit that detracts from the kind of person she really is and counterproductive to the team. Can't play defense when you're sprawled out on the floor. If she wants to work the refs, discreetly get in their ear when play is stopped; I'm sure it doesn't sit well with the officials in its present form.

If Iowa only misses 21 layups they win the game. :mad:

How do you lose when you have only 6 turnovers?

Bluder's statistical criticism of refereeing might be accurate, but absolutely did not affect the game's outcome. Iowa looked tight the entire game: passes and shots had just a fraction of a second's hesitation to them, and that never ends well. Credit to Creighton for pressuring most of those missed shots as well. Creighton handled the tension of the moment much better than Iowa. Hopefully they'll learn from it.
We have a player on the UConn team, Nika Muhl, that likes to express her opinions to the refs as well. You like the fire, but it can hurt the team.

Creighton, like most Big East teams, can play a physical game and it appears the refs let it go. Is it so different from the Big 10, another physical league? I’d think Iowa would have had some experience with it.

Reaction Score
For as whiny and emotional she was during the game. I was extremely impressed with her maturity during her pressor. Thought she handled it even better than her coach. She said something like yeah I always want more calls, coach always wants more calls, the other team always wants more calls but that’s the game. Really enjoyed listening to her and made me like her a lot more. I agree, her complaining really takes away from the person she actually is. She credited the other team, took accountability and didn’t try to blame the refs. Very well spoken and as she said she’s an emotional player whether she’s playing good or bad.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bluder lost her cool, plain and simple, precisely when her team needed her to model composure. Rather than her constant ranting and doing a million jumping jacks over the officiating, perhaps if she'd devoted just half of that energy to actually coaching her team, she might've had a better result.

And then she repeatedly cites the "average" number of fouls as if it were some kind of quota that the officials were duty-bound to uphold. News flash Lisa: average implies some variance upward and downward. Next time spend a little less energy going berserk at the officials and citing meaningless statistics and a little more energy coaching your team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom