Creighton’s coach is phenomenal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Creighton’s coach is phenomenal

Reaction Score
Thank you, Polley should be out there. Why was Jackson shooting a three on that after timeout possession? I would rather have Polley chuck up a shot rather than have that
How many times in the second half did we get Polley the ball in a position to get off a shot? One? None?

Reaction Score
Whaley and Jackson did not have it tonight and their minutes should have gone to shooters (Polley and Gaffney) - I don’t know why they were out there for the last 5 minutes.
Hurley is so clueless at in game adjustments. It was obvious to anyone watching that we needed offense tonight. So what does he do? Leave AJ in to go 0/6 from 3. Smart.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was just not hitting his shot. Period. Sometimes that happens. He gets double teamed and even triple teamed frequently. A lot of those shots would normally go when he was just off and that happens
I saw a lot of just one on one against Kalkbrenner and Kalk won most of those battles!

Reaction Score
That was my exact thought, McDermott just provided the playbook on how to beat us. I’m surprised nobody so far has mentioned Hurley calling that 3 for Jackson out of a timeout! We were down 5 and that ended the game essentially. I guess he didn’t notice the other threes Andre shot tonight that barely touched the rim.
He didn't draw up a 3 for Jackson, the play broke down and Jackson took a dumb shot. The mistake was even having him on the court though when we needed a 3

Reaction Score
Sanogo was just not hitting his shot. Period. Sometimes that happens. He gets double teamed and even triple teamed frequently. A lot of those shots would normally go when he was just off and that happens
Can't brush it off, my man. It was excellent planning and strategy from McDermott. You saw how packed Creighton was in the lane. They clearly bet against Whaley and Jackson making 3s. And they bet right, again.

Really needed Hawkins tonight.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I saw a lot of just one on one against Kalkbrenner and Kalk won most of those battles!
Kalkbrenner was patient… waited for guys to clear out and go one on one. Sanogo rushes to score before the double team can come.

Sorry if I’m beating on him right now but it’s so frustrating to watch someone so talented play this way and have it hurt the team like this. Hurley has to do something.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I hope we never have to play them again this year. DH did not make adjustments on defense. McDermott owns Hurley.
I still imagine that McDermott has a chuckling post-game phone call w/senior Hurley, in which they figured it's a matter of time, but the time hasn't happened yet.

This time Danny adjusted, but then McDermott countered, and Danny didn't counter.

Reaction Score
Can't brush it off, my man. It was excellent planning and strategy from McDermott. You saw how packed Creighton was in the lane. They clearly bet against Whaley and Jackson making 3s. And they bet right, again.

Really needed Hawkins tonight.

Yes. But, thing is, we lost by two points. You and I both know there were at least 3 shots that were halfway down and just wouldn’t fall. That normally doesn’t happen with Sanogo

Reaction Score
It should matter though. It’s not good offense or a recipe for success. If he wants to play at the next level he HAS to learn how to play good basketball. This is basic pass the ball to the open guy stuff. Slow down and dissect the defense. Be patient. It’s so frustrating.
Yeah, Sanogo is still learning the game of basketball. He's making decent progress. But when he feels the ball in his hands, his ego takes over & he must shoot (he needs more big-man moves though). And not passing out to shooters destroys teamwork, encourages more help on him, screws up the spacing & leads to teammates being out of position. And THAT leads to turnovers & fast-breaks by teams like Creighton, 'Nova, Marquette & PC. Gotta get Sanogo ro understand that this is a team game - & he ain't Wilt or Shaq! - Father Demo -

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner was patient… waited for guys to clear out and go one on one. Sanogo rushes to score before the double team can come.

Sorry if I’m beating on him right now but it’s so frustrating to watch someone so talented play this way and have it hurt the team like this. Hurley has to do something.
I do think Sanogo is your most talented player and can be utilized better, sorry but that comes down to coaching…

Reaction Score
Yes. But, thing is, we lost by two points. You and I both know there were at least 3 shots that were halfway down and just wouldn’t fall. That normally doesn’t happen with Sanogo
This game wasn’t about the shooting down the stretch. It was about the defensive strategy / inability to get a stop on Kalkbrenner (after getting beat the first 2-3 times).

Reaction Score
He forced Sanogo to defend the pick and roll. Sanogo's man scored 20 points in the second half.

That was the game.
He found a weakness and fully exploited. We played harder instead of smarter. Those 20 should have only been like 10 and we win this game easy.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Good coaching by Creighton absolutely but when DH doesn't adjust that's on him. How he wasn't doubling Kalk or having Sanogo stop helping with at least 4mins to go I just don't get. Until DH is willing to make multiple adjustments per game he won't beat McDermott by coaching and Creighton's got good enough players we can't just steamroll them. To be honest I was worried this was going to be more like a 10pt loss so keeping it tight when our team was clearly not playing their best and picking up (hopefully small) injuries gives me some positive spin. I will say I'd really prefer not to see them again this season over any other team out there.

Reaction Score
He did everything you should do against uconn.
1. Left Whaley, Jackson, and Sanogo wide open on the perimeter and packed defense in.
2. Doubled Sanogo in different ways..sometimes delayed..sometimes from the top…sometimes from weak side.
3. Tried very hard to get Sanogo in foul trouble.
4. Avoided Whaley’s hedge like the plague. I don’t think Whaley’s man set one ball screen the whole night.
5. Force RJ to do everything and deny him the ball when our non-shooters have it up top. He was worn down by the end of the game.

I thought Hurley was fine tonight for the most part but creighton’s coaching was just outstanding
Hurley has never beat Mc Dermott. Not an anomaly folks

Reaction Score
C’mon y’all dished it out when we lost to Nova, what comes around goes around… I’ve been civil while I could’ve been a lot worse!

Don’t half troll over here, give us the full troll treatment.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, Sanogo is still learning the game of basketball. He's making decent progress. But when he feels the ball in his hands, his ego takes over & he must shoot (he needs more big-man moves though). And not passing out to shooters destroys teamwork, encourages more help on him, screws up the spacing & leads to teammates being out of position. And THAT leads to turnovers & fast-breaks by teams like Creighton, 'Nova, Marquette & PC. Gotta get Sanogo ro understand that this is a team game - & he ain't Wilt or Shaq! - Father Demo -
Really couldn’t agree more. Sanogo is not a must play guy right now. If he isn’t playing well bench him. The only must play guys are RJ and maybe AJ.

Reaction Score
C’mon y’all dished it out when we lost to Nova, what comes around goes around… I’ve been civil while I could’ve been a lot worse!
Was saying Sonogo is talented, hell Friars would take him in a heartbeat!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom