Courtney | The Boneyard

Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I almost never get to watch our favorite team play in real time, particularly not their current games within the AAConference. I usually do begin watching the games as scheduled, but soon wind up taping most of the remainder. Here’s why:

My wife is someone who the most charitable among you would label an intellectual, and the rest of you would, with considerable justification, call an intellectual snob. For most of her adult life, she has had her nose buried in a book, a pursuit that my own commercial success made possible for her, though that is beside the point. (I can write stuff like this here with impunity, because there’s less-than-zero chance that she’d ever “lower herself” to an activity like the perusal of this site, irrespective of how terrific I think it is.)

Over the several (emphasis on several) decades of our marriage, she has “indulged” my passion for sports in general, and for UConn Women’s Basketball in particular, with a certain eye-rolling weariness and a clear sense of resignation. But, to her eternal credit, she clearly loves me and makes a show (however insincere) of sharing time with me while I pursue my own passions. The unvarnished truth is that in addition to reading, she has a deeply abiding interest in handicrafts, particularly knitting, needlepoint, crocheting, and quilting. She finds that she cannot simultaneously pursue those activities and turn the pages of a book, which she most assuredly would if she could. So, needles and threads in hand, she will usually make a great show of sitting with me to “watch” Breanna & Co. play. A few minutes into these games, however, with the score typically around 36-6, I dare not avert my eyes from the screen, and need not do so because I can “feel” her eyeballs boring into the side of my head and can “hear” her interrogating tone, “Why are you watching this *%#! when we could be watching something worthwhile on Channel 14?” I know you’re wondering at this point what drew me to this woman in the first place, but, in my defense, she was unbelievably hot, and, when I overheard her talking about things like PBS Specials with her friends, I naively assumed she was referring to pre-baseball season programming dedicated to analyzing upcoming campaigns in the American League East!

So, last night, for example, I purposely neglected to “share” with her the fact that in a conference where UConn’s typical margin of victory was 40-50 points, the team they were playing was 1-11, soon to be 1-12. Feeling the inevitable heat, as usual, I very early on pressed the little red RECORD button on the remote and, yes, switched over to channel 14. Being an early riser, I just finished watching the remainder of the game….solo. Thought Courtney acquitted herself nicely…which is the only observation I wanted to share in the first place! Anyone agree?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
BP- I'm away and haven't seen the game yet, but I can relate to your pers situation. I think our wives went to different schools together! :)

Reaction Score
Or just avoid the dieing tradition of marriage, though if you're already married it's too late to exercise that option.

Reaction Score
We are definitely in similar lifestyles....a man cave is the most important piece of real estate you will ever own unless you like sitting with your wife and watching reruns of Downton Abbey. Anyway, totally agree on your Courtney observations, She looked confident and moved to the hoop with power and speed. . She has definitely made progress on both sides of the court. It must not be easy being a freshman at UCONN but she seems to have committed herself to the program.

Reaction Score
We are definitely in similar lifestyles....a man cave is the most important piece of real estate you will ever own unless you like sitting with your wife and watching reruns of Downton Abbey. Anyway, totally agree on your Courtney observations, She looked confident and moved to the hoop with power and speed. . She has definitely made progress on both sides of the court. It must not be easy being a freshman at UCONN but she seems to have committed herself to the program.
When her shot comes back, look out. Next year's going to be a good one for Courtney. She and KLS may help make up for K's lost 3s.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Over the several (emphasis on several) decades of our marriage, she has “indulged” my passion for sports in general, and for UConn Women’s Basketball in particular.
Big,
She sounds like a keeper. I have same, except she is less indulgent of my "slight" obsession with all things Maya.
Courtney did play well last night. I don't thing we will see her fully shine until next year when: 1) More 3 point shots will be available with the departure of KML and 2) One of her best friends KLS will be joining the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When her shot comes back, look out. Next year's going to be a good one for Courtney. She and KLS may help make up for K's lost 3s.
Had same exact thought 3 minutes after you did.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I agree. I think this was Courtney's best game so far. She was aggressive, and showed that she was more than just a three point shooter, as Meghan also pointed out. She definitely needs to keep it up, and be more aggressive and less passive when she gets the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Courtney must be a hard worker in practice, because from the moment she came back from her foot injury, Geno has not hesitated to put her into games. That hard work is starting to pay off at just the right time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Courtney had a very good game. Not only did she bury a 3, but she drove to the hoop with confidence and authority.

Her defense is also improving, which is a good thing.

The stress reaction set her back a lot. But I think last night we saw a glimpse of what is to come next year.

BTW - both my wife and I are avid fans. In fact, she always checks to make sure the game is DVRed even when we are at the game!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Courtney must be a hard worker in practice, because from the moment she came back from her foot injury, Geno has not hesitated to put her into games. That hard work is starting to pay off at just the right time.
Somewhat disagree. Courtney is always the last to get in a game. ( Although ahead of Lawler and Pullido.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Somewhat disagree. Courtney is always the last to get in a game. ( Although ahead of Lawler and Pullido.)
I disagree also. Courtney's minutes even in blow out games have been inconsistent -see Temple and USF as examples. I am rooting for Courtney, don't get me wrong. I predicted that she would be the starting 2 this year- I was wrong. The remainder of the regular season and ACC tournament she will get a few minutes but I suspect come tournament time she will not be a part of the rotation. I think next year is definitely more promising.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She was definitely the first off the bench in the early games before the stress reaction. Since then it has been fewer minutes and later in games ... to be expected seeing as she lost all that time.

Reaction Score
Courtney is looking better every game. I agree, doubt much time for her come tournament time, as Geno will shrink the bench and up starters minutes to over 30. Looking forward to her getting quality minutes next year and beyond.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Courtney has an interesting an almost old-school technique with her hands during most lay-up as both of them go up toward the basket before the near hand does the final release. Most players stretch up with one arm for lay-ups.

Great job by her and the reserves on defense, as Houston went almost the last 4 minutes without a point. Very different from many years past when the margin might be lowered by 10 points at the end of games. Now it just keeps building.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I almost never get to watch our favorite team play in real time, particularly not their current games within the AAConference. I usually do begin watching the games as scheduled, but soon wind up taping most of the remainder. Here’s why:

My wife is someone who the most charitable among you would label an intellectual, and the rest of you would, with considerable justification, call an intellectual snob. For most of her adult life, she has had her nose buried in a book, a pursuit that my own commercial success made possible for her, though that is beside the point. (I can write stuff like this here with impunity, because there’s less-than-zero chance that she’d ever “lower herself” to an activity like the perusal of this site, irrespective of how terrific I think it is.)

Over the several (emphasis on several) decades of our marriage, she has “indulged” my passion for sports in general, and for UConn Women’s Basketball in particular, with a certain eye-rolling weariness and a clear sense of resignation. But, to her eternal credit, she clearly loves me and makes a show (however insincere) of sharing time with me while I pursue my own passions. The unvarnished truth is that in addition to reading, she has a deeply abiding interest in handicrafts, particularly knitting, needlepoint, crocheting, and quilting. She finds that she cannot simultaneously pursue those activities and turn the pages of a book, which she most assuredly would if she could. So, needles and threads in hand, she will usually make a great show of sitting with me to “watch” Breanna & Co. play. A few minutes into these games, however, with the score typically around 36-6, I dare not avert my eyes from the screen, and need not do so because I can “feel” her eyeballs boring into the side of my head and can “hear” her interrogating tone, “Why are you watching this *%#! when we could be watching something worthwhile on Channel 14?” I know you’re wondering at this point what drew me to this woman in the first place, but, in my defense, she was unbelievably hot, and, when I overheard her talking about things like PBS Specials with her friends, I naively assumed she was referring to pre-baseball season programming dedicated to analyzing upcoming campaigns in the American League East!

So, last night, for example, I purposely neglected to “share” with her the fact that in a conference where UConn’s typical margin of victory was 40-50 points, the team they were playing was 1-11, soon to be 1-12. Feeling the inevitable heat, as usual, I very early on pressed the little red RECORD button on the remote and, yes, switched over to channel 14. Being an early riser, I just finished watching the remainder of the game….solo. Thought Courtney acquitted herself nicely…which is the only observation I wanted to share in the first place! Anyone agree?

I was beginning to think your wife's name is Courtney. My wife is the definition of competitive sports are useless, and double that when they are televised. I have 3 kids (sons, but these days, girls play on organized teams every bit as much as boys). I will grant that she occasionally dragged herself to one of their LL games or hoop games, but always with a book in hand. I would have to tell her when to look up and cheer. My middle son is the real jock. and kept playing in hs hoops and baseball. I think the books she read got more into the games than she.

That son, by the way, kept playing both sports in pretty competitive NYC leagues until last year when he had to have rotator cuff surgery. Luck for him that girls play organized sports these days, because he has two girls and a third girl on the way. The first two are pretty athletic and daredevils. In the meantime, my wife and I were social friends of Rebecca Lobo's parents, her mom sadly passed away a few years ago. My wife taught with Ruthann and they were good friends. No matter, my wife just isn't a sports fan. We went with them to a Suns game when Rebecca was playing for them, so at least when we got to go to the outer locker area after the game, my wife didn't have to ask which one was Rebecca because she pretended to watch the whole game.

Meanwhile, I forgot to record last night's game and we were busy with other stuff. I turned it on with about 4 minutes left, and got to see Courtney's last hoop.

Reaction Score
It was a good effort for CE, with good results. She is closing the gap a bit. You can just tell if the coahes told her to run through a wall that the wall would soon have a hole in it

Reaction Score
...So, needles and threads in hand, she will usually make a great show of sitting with me to “watch” Breanna & Co. play. A few minutes into these games, however, with the score typically around 36-6, I dare not avert my eyes from the screen, and need not do so because I can “feel” her eyeballs boring into the side of my head and can “hear” her interrogating tone, “Why are you watching this *%#! when we could be watching something worthwhile on Channel 14?” I know you’re wondering at this point what drew me to this woman in the first place, but, in my defense, she was unbelievably hot, and, when I overheard her talking about things like PBS Specials with her friends, I naively assumed she was referring to pre-baseball season programming dedicated to analyzing upcoming campaigns in the American League East!

So, last night, for example, I purposely neglected to “share” with her the fact that in a conference where UConn’s typical margin of victory was 40-50 points, the team they were playing was 1-11, soon to be 1-12. Feeling the inevitable heat, as usual, I very early on pressed the little red RECORD button on the remote and, yes, switched over to channel 14. Being an early riser, I just finished watching the remainder of the game….solo...
I think you need a man-cave! I know what I'm talking about ...just look at me!

JS

Reaction Score
So, needles and threads in hand, she will usually make a great show of sitting with me to “watch” Breanna & Co. play. A few minutes into these games, however, with the score typically around 36-6, I dare not avert my eyes from the screen, and need not do so because I can “feel” her eyeballs boring into the side of my head and can “hear” her interrogating tone, “Why are you watching this *%#! when we could be watching something worthwhile on Channel 14?”
Nicely done.

I don't have the pressure to switch channels. Mrs. JS does her knitting in the next room, at the kitchen table, under strong light and with her patterns and other mysterious paraphernalia laid out around her.

She wouldn't think of simultaneously watching TV as she has to concentrate -- to count stitches and avoid mistakes, so she doesn't have to "rip it all out," a disaster of varying but always serious magnitude.

She's about as interested in the UConn team as your beloved, however. "Oh, are they losing?" [sarcasm] or the cruder "What are you doing? Wasting time on that Barnyard again?"

Little does she know the joy. I'll keep it my secret and leave her to toil and err and rip in the irksome travail of knitting.

I deal with the latest exciting threats from the AAC, while she frets over how to get the grandkids' names to fit across the front of their incipient Christmas stockings.

Since your avatar is a fleur-de-lis, I'll close by saying bon chance, and vive la différence.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
My "Man Cave" is a park Home on the E. Branch of The Delaware River in NY! Of which I'm there 3-4 days weekly from April thru October. Anything my wife wants or wants to do is fine with me! Definition of a Park Home- upscale trailer!!! :)

Reaction Score
Nicely done.

I don't have the pressure to switch channels. Mrs. JS does her knitting in the next room, at the kitchen table, under strong light and with her patterns and other mysterious paraphernalia laid out around her.

She wouldn't think of simultaneously watching TV as she has to concentrate -- to count stitches and avoid mistakes, so she doesn't have to "rip it all out," a disaster of varying but always serious magnitude.
She must be making something fairly complicated, as game time is when I get the most knitting done! I've got a partially finished scarf on my desk just for watching streams on the computer.

Reaction Score
My wife thinks I'm crazy to waste a beautiful northern California day watching UConn on television. She is a professor and she wants to go away during spring break. I told her I can't leave when UConn is playing in the NCAA tournament or when the state high school championships are going on. As to Courtney I was impressed but she still seems a little slow for top D1 competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom