Court stormings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Court stormings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem with court storming is they are spontaneous and mob mentality takes over. Other than having a thousand cops on the sideline there is no way to stop them.

Reaction Score
Well take the name DUKE out of the story and just imagine ANY player getting badly hurt due to this stupidity. Caitlin Clarke got decked a few weeks ago during a storming and fortunately wasn't hurt. It was a kid holding a phone up and recording while they were running. The phone crap is part of why it's become so dangerous. As with driving or walking many people aren't watching where they are going while recording. That wasn't a factor years ago. Just put a stop to it altogether.

Caitlin Clark decked that fan. Kyle looks like he shoves fan and sticks leg put. Scheyer claiming this was a personal, targeted attack is a load of bs. Agree with protecting players and fans but duke is soft as baby . Court storming has been happening for years with no issues

Reaction Score
It's an unacceptable situation and leagues should be working together to map out a safety strategy so players aren't at greater risk after the game than during it. And it's pretty clear that when a mob mentality takes over there will always be a handful of people that can't control themselves. As always, rules need to be made for the 5% that selfishly abuse a privilege putting others in danger and impacting the other 95%. Obviously that goes way beyond sports and I used to think that figure was maybe 2%, but that's a larger topic. If it's not addressed adequately players (and their parents) have a lot more power nowadays and are certain to press the issue.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Court storming is a taunt en masse. Get the visitors off the floor and nobody will want to do it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My wife is sick. At the half, when they replayed Sheyer's post-game comments, she says, "Shut the **** up." She has no clue who he is.
That is what you call subliminal douchy recognition!

Reaction Score
I love a good court storming. I remember a game where Roy Williams put the UNC scrubs in and left the floor with the rest of the team before the court storm. He took some heat for that decision.

roy.jpg

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm very happy it was nothing more than Kyle getting his shin banged and not a serious injury. Tristen got hit in the shins with a moving screen in yesterday's game, was obviously in pain afterwards, but just walked it off and didn't miss a play. Nuff said about the difference between UConn and Duke players.

I look at things with a risk reward relationship. Certainly there is a risk of an injury from court storming. Even a risk that could severely impact a player and team's future. I wouldn't want to see that happen. So if schools can come up with a system to minimize that risk that is easy to implement and not costly they should. But I would hope whatever is implemented there is a minimum impact on the pleasure people get from this action.

With that said there are a lot more risks to players and fans in sports that I'm sure many of the posters who are very upset about court storming would hesitate to carry the degree of their concern into insisting governance should occur. For example players at sporting events have gotten hurt because fans threw objects and hit players. I don't have numbers but I would love a comparison of that with court storming to know if stadiums and arenas should have barriers made to avoid this.

There is nothing stopping an irrational fan from approaching a player and taking them out without court storming. I would conjecture that the chance of a player suffering a significant injury from a fan is far greater from this situation than court storming. I'm sure more than a few posters have substituted themselves with Rod Sellers in their dreams of slamming Chrissy's head against the hardwood.

Fans have gotten seriously hurt or killed when stands have collapsed or a panic developed and the masses got trampled in the ensuing chaos. Should the numbers of fans attending events be reduced to minimize this risk?

Fans have gotten into fights after games. Fighting increases with alcohol consumption. Do we eliminate the positive experience drinking provides at sporting events because of this risk? Or the risks of driving afterwards?

There are several pugilistic encounters in the post game hand shaking lines. So far no major injuries as a consequence but it's inevitable something serious could happen. Eliminate this?

Many athletes have serious lifetime consequences from injuries as a result of their participation in sports. Certainly there is a distinction that if a person knows the consequences they should not have their choice taken from them. However a number of injuries result from overzealous parents, coaches, and even communities who, in a desire for fame and glory, push children to succeed and not care about whether the children really want this or if it's in their best interest. Should we eliminate sports because the risks of major injuries to minors is numerous?

Yes this is overthinking the court storming issue. But perhaps we're overthinking court storming and the dangers it creates and under thinking that it's a relatively small risk relative to other risks surrounding sports that we don't want or fell the need to eliminate.

Reaction Score
Better that it be banned by the conferences entirely. It's an anachronism and a disaster waiting to happen whenever it occurs.
Chin's all guffawing until it happens to our players.

Reaction Score
With all the elderly folks holding season tickets in the lower section, court storming at Gampel is not on their mind but how to get to the restrooms before everyone else after the game.

Reaction Score
Oh - like when we did it against Villanova in 2022?
(and we were ranked 21st at the time)

While that was definitely a much tamer "court storm", there's no reason that should've happened either. I get that it was a watershed moment for the Hurley program so some celebration was due, but let's just stop that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Maybe if dook won more often they would have less court stormings. Or, just suck so that it isn't worth storming the court over beating them.

Near term for UConn, I would hope the BE is working with PC staff for Saturday the 9th.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Maybe if dook won more often they would have less court stormings. Or, just suck so that it isn't worth storming the court over beating them.

Near term for UConn, I would hope the BE is working with PC staff for Saturday the 9th.
I'm hoping Hurley is working with our players and we beat the snot out of PC!

Reaction Score
Duke is now leaning into this too hard, they're Duke so it's what they do and they'll end up looking like the bad guys.
Bad take. You don't think UConn would be doing the same if it were Clingan at Creighton?

Reaction Score
Bad take. You don't think UConn would be doing the same if it were Clingan at Creighton?
I don't think Clingan would be saying they were intentionally trying to hurt him and I don't think they would be doing interviews saying court stormings need to be banned. To Scheyer's credit he also says there should be more security and ropes to protect the players.

Banning court stormings altogether would be a mistake. It shouldn't be difficult to make the changes to keep the fun/excitement and to protect the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom