Countries You've Been | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Countries You've Been

Reaction Score
St Martin, DR-Punta Cana (Good at the Hard Rock not so much 1st time at The Majestic), Belize, Mexico....Key West!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Canada, Mexico, Panama, UK (England & Scotland), France, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria, New Zealand, Australia, Bahamas, Bermuda (also PR & St. Thomas).

There's almost no point in suggesting stuff in Rome, the food is almost all good (except behind the ruins opposite the Colosseum, IMO), but I will note Il Gelato di San Crispino as a "don't miss this place". It's like walking into a science lab that serves the most unbelievable gelato. Pretty close to Trevi Fountain, so if you're over there, make sure you stop. Also get to some of the neighborhoods to eat (particularly Testavere) in addition to more famous options like Piazza Navona. If you want to get out of the city a little ways, there's an excellent and unusual outdoorsy restaurant called L'Archeologia down past the tombs on Via Appia. I only mention that one as it was awesome and an unexpected find - very different from what's in Rome proper. Kind of a very upscale wood grill place. Espresso at Tazza d'Oro or San't Eustachio is also a must (both near Pantheon).

In Florence, at least one night get yourself a steak Florentine somewhere. Sostanza is supposed to be the best, but lots of places are good. I can vouch for Natalino. Make sure you buy some wine to take home. Le Volpe e L'Uva has lots of bottles you won't find in the states and will do personal tastings w/o appt.

I didn't spend much time in Budapest, but I can tell you the Buda (hilly) side is pretty but kinda boring. The action is in Pest. But you'll want to be on the Buda side to take photos. The Parliament building is pretty amazing. Sounds trite, but have a paprikash (preferably chicken on the bone) for dinner one night. It embarrasses its US namesake.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Canada, Belize, Honduras, Mexico, Cambodia, Germany(airport), Singapore (airport)

Heading to Italy, France and the UK in 11 days - can't wait!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I haven't been a lot of places, but I think I have two that that haven't been noted: Guyana and Senegal. Also, Barbados, Canada and Mexico.

Reaction Score
What's the chewing gum thing about?

Just about how clean it is there. I think they can arrest you for spitting out your gum in public. They are strict there. If I remember correctly, it's a $500 fine for bringing durian on the MRT (public transportation).

As a side note, I still don't get what is so good about durian. The smell is terrible and it tasted like a raw yellow onion. It took me 3 hours to get rid of the taste.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Just about how clean it is there. I think they can arrest you for spitting out your gum in public. They are strict there. If I remember correctly, it's a $500 fine for bringing durian on the MRT (public transportation).

As a side note, I still don't get what is so good about durian. The smell is terrible and it tasted like a raw yellow onion. It took me 3 hours to get rid of the taste.
You're lucky if it was only 3 hours - I had durian-scented burps for an entire day. My wife's family loves it, luckily she's not quite as fond of it - we're more of the jackfruit/rambutan/lychee/longan crowd as far as exotic fruits go.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Durian falls into that category of things one likes if they grew up with it. Most SE Asians find it tasty (and not even all that smelly), but it's a tough one for those born & raised in North America. I'd have been happy if the one I had tasted like raw onion. Mine tasted more like raw onion wrapped in a used gym sock that sat on the bottom of a dumpster for a week in July.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Durian falls into that category of things one likes if they grew up with it. Most SE Asians find it tasty (and not even all that smelly), but it's a tough one for those born & raised in North America. I'd have been happy if the one I had tasted like raw onion. Mine tasted more like raw onion wrapped in a used gym sock that sat on the bottom of a dumpster for a week in July.

Kids from that part of the world often really dislike the taste of chocolate.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Kids from that part of the world often really dislike the taste of chocolate.
Lots of asians who've emigrated to the US or Europe dislike cheese.

Reaction Score
Canada
UK
Italy
India
Hong Kong
Anguilla
Antigua
Bahamas
Curacao
Turks & Caicos

Reaction Score
England, , Spain, Armenia (Canada and Germany are stamped on my passport, but only as hops) the Munich airport was amazing. Been to Puerto Rico, but that's US. Hoping to go to Atlantis in the Bahamas with the family someday soon.

Reaction Score
Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, Guadaloupe, Grenada, Argentina, England, Scotland, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Lichtenstein, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Vatican City, Italy, Luxemburgh, Greece, Switzerland, Austria, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Turkey, Egypt, UAE and USA.

Reaction Score
Canada, Mexico (City and Acapulco), Bermuda, Caymans, Bahamas, St.Thomas, St Maarten/St Martin, Spain, Corsica, Malta, Italy, Vatican City and Mississippi.

Reaction Score
Germany, Belgium, France, UK, Jamaica, Netherlands, Japan, Taiwan, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand.

If you're a young single male you owe it to yourself to goto Thailand. So many Scandinavian girls on holiday ripe for the picking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Spain, Chile, St. Maarten, Hong Kong 5x , Malaysia, Thailand, Columbia, Japan, Panama, Indonesia, Canada, South Korea, Mexico, Singapore, Bahamas, U.S Virgin Islands.

Reaction Score
Mexico, Canada, Nicaragua, Jamaica, Spain, France, Italy, Israel, uk (England), Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Ghana.

Reaction Score
Allowing for things like protectorates and territories - Mexico, Canada, St. Lucia, Bahamas, PR, Bermuda, Aruba, Jamaica, Spain, France, England, Germany, Sweden, Greece, New Zealand, Australia.

Reaction Score
The first time I was walking around in Chinatown in Singapore I smelled this awful odor...needless to say it was durian. It literally smelled like Shot to me. When I was back this past February, it did not smell quite as bad. Maybe the next time I will be ordering as part of a fruit salad. We got my Brazilian friend to try it. Needless to say he did not care for it either. He almost gagged. Like most have implied, it definitely is an acquired taste.

Reaction Score
I'm a travel addict so I figured it would be cool to see which countries people have been to.

Mine:

Italy, Spain, France, Holland, Germany, Belgium & Switzerland.

Tomorrow I am headed on a 31 day post grad backpacking trip. If anyone has been to these places and can provide their favorite sites or restaurants it'd be greatly appreciated.

Im going to: Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Prague, Salzburg, Munich, Vienna, and Budapest.

When you're in Prague, go to Riegrovy Sady. It's a huge beer garden full of natives and ex-pats.

If you've got some time after seeing the main sights in town, hang out for a bit in Žižkov. It's a non-touristy neighborhood around the TV tower, but still really nice. It used to be very "Czech," but I've heard it's becoming more international. You've got some really good nightlife venues out there, like Akropolis, and Žižkov in general provides a nice escape from the tourist hordes in Prague.

For the best views of the city, head up to Petrin Hill or Letna Park.

Reaction Score
Canada, Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan, Korea, Australia, Israel, Germany, Finland, Denmark, England, Spain, Bahamas, and I am sure there are a couple I have forgotten about. 49 of the 50 states, the bucket list has a salmon fishing trip to Alaska to get in that last state.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom