Could someone please explain this to me? | The Boneyard

Could someone please explain this to me?

Reaction Score
This has been bugging me from day one of this season. I don't understand why Stevens and Camara are listed on this year's roster? They are both ineligible transfers sitting out a red shirt year. Therefore, wouldn't listing them on this year's roster as a junior and sophomore respectively be incorrect? That's what their class ranking will be next season when they can actually play.

2016-2017 Women’s Basketball Game Replays
0A8W.jpg

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Official Women's Basketball Roster :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball
0AUQ.jpg

Reaction Score
My guess (and that's all it is) is that they are listed so those visiting the page can see first, how many players total are on the roster in each year as of will look like now and second, so people get an idea of what the roster of players that UConn KNOWS are going to be there in coming years. You can then add the incoming commits and voila! the roster.

I could be dead wrong. It could be for some other reasons, but those two are at least useful to people.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They're part of the team, that's why they're listed. Azura and Batouley practice with the team, hit the gym with the team, and sit on the bench with the team. The only thing they don't do is play in games, otherwise they're just like any other Husky. Why wouldn't they be listed?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well here's my guess.

They are listed on the roster because they are members of the team with a scholarship this year. The fact that they cannot play (and get paid to travel and a few other things) are due to them having to sit the year out to comply with the transfer rule, but they are on thee team and receiving a scholarship.

I suspect that the way the NCAA book keeps these things is that hey do not get "Credit" for that year of eligibility until they successfully complete the sit-out year. (Comply with the applicable rules) So next year, having successfully completed the sit -out year, the CL/ELG column would show the difference between class and eligibility.

Lastly they are not actually in a "red shirt" year. The NCAA uses that term for a player who sits out the year completely to save that year of eligibility. Players like Heather Buck and Jessica Moore used a red shirt year.

And also I too could be dead wrong (which is easy to do when trying to sort out the NCAA rules) :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They are on basketball scholarships this year and practicing with the team so they are both team members and count against the 15 scholarships allowed to WCBB teams. When Morgan red-shirted partway into the season, Uconn did not remover her name from the roster.

Reaction Score
Neither Stevens or Camara were eligible to play this season so it is highly unusual for UConn to list them when nobody else does this. If you think I'm wrong, please post evidence of your proof.

They're part of the team, that's why they're listed. Azura and Batouley practice with the team, hit the gym with the team, and sit on the bench with the team. The only thing they don't do is play in games, otherwise they're just like any other Husky. Why wouldn't they be listed?

First of all, my request wasn't a complaint. Your tone would indicate you believed otherwise. I understand that both women practice with the team and sit on the team bench for games. I watch each and every game! But, since neither are eligible to play this season, at best their listings on the roster should be with an asterisk and a definition for it. Additionally, I have read here on the BY that neither can travel with the team to the Final Four in Dallas unless they pay their own way and for their own food and lodging. If true, that seems contrary to being "on the team". BTW, will they be receiving rings and/or other awards for winning league and hopefully National Championships?

They are on basketball scholarships this year and practicing with the team so they are both team members and count against the 15 scholarships allowed to WCBB teams. When Morgan red-shirted partway into the season, Uconn did not remover her name from the roster.

Are you positive they are on basketball scholarships this year or is this simply an assumption on your part? I'm asking not to be argumentative, but to gain knowledge. However, I do want to correct your statement regarding Morgan's redshit year. A medical redshirt must be applied for and is not immediately awarded when a player is injured. So, of course, she wouldn't have been removed from the roster either way. A roster is routinely made up of eligible players at the beginning of the season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Neither Stevens or Camara were eligible to play this season so it is highly unusual for UConn to list them when nobody else does this. If you think I'm wrong, please post evidence of your proof.

First of all, my request wasn't a complaint. Your tone would indicate you believed otherwise. I understand that both women practice with the team and sit on the team bench for games. I watch each and every game! But, since neither are eligible to play this season, at best their listings on the roster should be with an asterisk and a definition for it. Additionally, I have read here on the BY that neither can travel with the team to the Final Four in Dallas unless they pay their own way and for their own food and lodging. If true, that seems contrary to being "on the team". BTW, will they be receiving rings and/or other awards for winning league and hopefully National Championships?

Are you positive they are on basketball scholarships this year or is this simply an assumption on your part? I'm asking not to be argumentative, but to gain knowledge. However, I do want to correct your statement regarding Morgan's redshit year. A medical redshirt must be applied for and is not immediately awarded when a player is injured. So, of course, she wouldn't have been removed from the roster either way. A roster is routinely made up of eligible players at the beginning of the season.
Taja Cole, transfer from Louisville to Georgia, sitting out this year
Official Women's Basketball Roster - Women's Basketball - GEORGIADOGS.COM - University of University of Georgia Official Athletic Site

Jatarie White, transferred from So Carolina to Texas, sitting out a year
Texas Longhorns Athletics - 2016-17 Women's Basketball Roster

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Your first and last sentence are both incorrect which makes everything in between shaky at best. NCAA requires schools to list all players receiving scholarships therefore everyone has to do it.

Reaction Score
@HuskyNan - Okay, I'll give you Tara Cole, but Jatarie White is listed on the roster without a uniform number. That in itself would indicate something is wrong. Further research would have answered what that "something" was.

Reaction Score
...NCAA requires schools to list all players receiving scholarships therefore everyone has to do it.

Please provide your exact source of proof for this statement. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Tara Cole, transfer f on Louisville to Georgia, sitting out this year
Official Women's Basketball Roster - Women's Basketball - GEORGIADOGS.COM - University of University of Georgia Official Athletic Site

Jatarie White, transferred from So Carolina to Texas, sitting out a year
Texas Longhorns Athletics - 2016-17 Women's Basketball Roster

Well played, Nan.

Also, it's always been the standard practice here; for example, Connecticut's own Brittany Hunter was listed on all four of the following UConn Women's Basketball Media Guides:during her tenure here as a full team member. I couldn't find an archived Duke Media Guide for her freshman season.

(If the links don't work they're all in the UConn archives)

From the 2004-5 Media Guide:

AT CONNECTICUT

Reaction Score
Your first and last sentence are both incorrect which makes everything in between shaky at best. NCAA requires schools to list all players receiving scholarships therefore everyone has to do it.

NCAA has no control or interest in the roster anyone posts on a website. Virtually every school opts to list all of the players on their team - whether they are sitting out the year or not - because it is the rational thing to do.

Reaction Score

1. Virtually every team lists every member of their team on their roster, even if they are sitting out the year. I have seen it done hundreds of times and never seen a team that did not list them. I have no desire to do your research for you, but I'd be happy to make a bet where I pay you $100 for each roster you find where a player is not listed and you pay me $100 for every roster I find where those type of players are listed.

2. Yes, they are on basketball scholarship. That is not even in question.

3. No, a roster is NOT "routinely made up of eligible players at the beginning of the season." It is made up of players who are on the team, eligible to play or not.

4. If you want an asterisk beside those players, I suggest you email UConn. There are no NCAA rules of any kind about website rosters, so maybe they'll listen to you.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes I am positive - they are most definitely on a basketball scholarship. They transferred, they are not paying their own way because they did receive full release from their previous schools, otherwise they would be in violation of some NCAA rule for receiving improper benefits. The whole issue with Romero transferring to FSU was she was not being granted her release and her family couldn't afford to pay for a year of US education, and no school could give her a scholarship unless she got that release for her 'transfer year'.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan - Okay, I'll give you Tara Cole, but Jatarie White is listed on the roster without a uniform number. That in itself would indicate something is wrong. Further research would have answered what that "something" was.
A while we are at it there the grassy knoll theory also. Area 51 needs more investigation too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
NCAA has no control or interest in the roster anyone posts on a website. Virtually every school opts to list all of the players on their team - whether they are sitting out the year or not - because it is the rational thing to do.

Team Roster Requirements Reminders

Would be silly of the school to have something different on the website from what it is required to submit to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Frankly, my dears, I don't really care who is listed where. I'm only interested in how many years the two young ladies will get to play. Is it two for Azura and three for Batouly or one and two? As neither dresses for games, they may be on the team, but they're not going to play in games. Against CD's rules: no playing in dresses. Whew. :oops:

Reaction Score
ANOTHER CLASSIC IN THE LINE OF THREADS YOU CAN'T MAKE UP! :confused:
OP....Requests information on the roster from the forum...
Members of the forum reply with as much information at hand in a helpful manner...
OP replies with...

"If you think I'm wrong, please post evidence of your proof."
Demands that others should supply evidence of proof!
"Further research would have answered what that "something" was."
Demands that others should do more research!
"Please provide your exact source of proof for this statement."
Demanding more proof after making the initial request.....

I guess the meaning of humble pie has passed me by .....;) Head bang

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom