Cornerbacks | The Boneyard

Cornerbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The positions that keeps coming up where it seems we might be short on experience or lack depth. If anyone can pry themselves away from that other subject, I'd like to get more clarification about our depth chart there, and ANY other players that might have the skills to move into the position.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lee and meli will step up

Reaction Score
I feel we have been blessed to have Blidi and Dwayne for as long as we did. They were solid for us. At this point we do have some resources available that can help to replace these key guys. As others have noted in the past, Jones and Brown have filled in in the past so it wouldn't be out of the question that one or more could fill in if others are not ready to step up. But first, Williams, Hadley, Lee, Obi, Anderson, Adams, Floyd, Marder, Clark and probably some others will get a chance to show they have the coverage skills to do the job. We definitely will be down experience wise, but I like the size and athleticism of this group of defensive backs. I feel that the coaching staff has a preference for the guys with height and physical strength if all other things are equal so I would guess the taller guys might start over the 5'8" -5"9" guys. I don't know whether there would be resistence to replacing all starters just because that's a lot of turnover, but it seems like we have some ready replaceements at safety if necessary. Can't wait to see this competition begin. Looks like we have some good athletes ready to contribute.

Reaction Score
I think taylor mack stays as the nickel back, I don't think he can match up well on the outside. I wouldn't be surprised if both safeties move to CB. I think Jones is a lock, I like stephenson though, he seem to be a playmaker, though I believe he's the same size as mack. Also adams should get more playing time. Looks to me the staff is going to taller Db's, but that was with coach Brown. I'm not sure what philosophy Hughes will bring back, but if aint broke don't fix it.

Reaction Score
I heard a few times during reports that Ellis Marder and Obi Melifonwu are going to open some eyes, but don't forget guys like Wilbert Lee and Jordan Floyd. All of these guys are 6 feet or above (some people say Lee is 5'11, but he is more around 6' 1/2"). The safeties had valuable learning time with some very good corners in Blidi and Gratz guiding them where they should be on the field. Tymeer Brown will be back, so I believe he will retain his spot. You cannot beat his game experience, and I hope that will be a good teaching tool for the younger guys. Jones returns, but more on a possible move in the next paragraph.

The corner spot is going to be wide open come spring practice and into summer practice. With both starting corners graduating and potentially going to the NFL, it is concerning (to me, at least.) where we stand. The biggest problem after experience is size. Mack, Stevenson, Clark, and Jhavon Williams are short and it was evident throughout the season that Mack struggled when placed in big game situations. This can be fixed with more experience and practice, but now that Mack will be looked to for a starting role, will he be able to handle the pressure? There is potential, but it comes with patience and development Another interesting factor may be the move of Byron Jones to corner. I was not particularly impressed with Jones's cover skills because he would often not jump at the right time and then be beat over the back shoulder. I think this is also correctable, but it will take time if he makes the position switch. Freshman, Javon Hadley, will be one to watch come fall. Judging by his high school highlights, he has good technique and was recruited even after he committed. I think he will be a three to four year starter who will push his teammates.

Lastly, what will the coaching switch do? Coach Sos, to the dismay of many on this board, has been a wide receiver coach and now is taking on the new role, entrusted with developing this unit. I have heard jeers and jokes such as... his receivers were better at batting down balls, so this may be coach Sos's calling. It may be but I personally like coach Sos because he has a good rapport with his guys and he is a good communicator. That is needed with such a young unit. Based on comments from coach P in the past, he likes a coach with interchangeable skills and he also stresses sharing roles between coaches. I hope Coach Buggs and Perkins will give some pointers to his fellow coach. Overall, this would be the number two area of competition we should watch after O-line.

That is just my two cents, and I look forward to what everyone else sees and expects from this corps.

Reaction Score
Deep at linebacker, we blitz the DOG SNOT out of them all. Put the QB on his ass a few times hard and then do it some more! No time to pick on our young corners!
They run and we are deep at linebacker!
IN HANK WE TRUST...He will be his usual bend but not break self but I am sure with some of the parts we have now and some Don Brown theory left overs we will see a little mayhem............This making up for any weakness at the corner...
Just say'n.....

Reaction Score
I heard a few times during reports that Ellis Marder and Obi Melifonwu are going to open some eyes, but don't forget guys like Wilbert Lee and Jordan Floyd. All of these guys are 6 feet or above (some people say Lee is 5'11, but he is more around 6' 1/2"). The safeties had valuable learning time with some very good corners in Blidi and Gratz guiding them where they should be on the field. Tymeer Brown will be back, so I believe he will retain his spot. You cannot beat his game experience, and I hope that will be a good teaching tool for the younger guys. Jones returns, but more on a possible move in the next paragraph.

The corner spot is going to be wide open come spring practice and into summer practice. With both starting corners graduating and potentially going to the NFL, it is concerning (to me, at least.) where we stand. The biggest problem after experience is size. Mack, Stevenson, Clark, and Jhavon Williams are short and it was evident throughout the season that Mack struggled when placed in big game situations. This can be fixed with more experience and practice, but now that Mack will be looked to for a starting role, will he be able to handle the pressure? There is potential, but it comes with patience and development Another interesting factor may be the move of Byron Jones to corner. I was not particularly impressed with Jones's cover skills because he would often not jump at the right time and then be beat over the back shoulder. I think this is also correctable, but it will take time if he makes the position switch. Freshman, Javon Hadley, will be one to watch come fall. Judging by his high school highlights, he has good technique and was recruited even after he committed. I think he will be a three to four year starter who will push his teammates.

Lastly, what will the coaching switch do? Coach Sos, to the dismay of many on this board, has been a wide receiver coach and now is taking on the new role, entrusted with developing this unit. I have heard jeers and jokes such as... his receivers were better at batting down balls, so this may be coach Sos's calling. It may be but I personally like coach Sos because he has a good rapport with his guys and he is a good communicator. That is needed with such a young unit. Based on comments from coach P in the past, he likes a coach with interchangeable skills and he also stresses sharing roles between coaches. I hope Coach Buggs and Perkins will give some pointers to his fellow coach. Overall, this would be the number two area of competition we should watch after O-line.

That is just my two cents, and I look forward to what everyone else sees and expects from this corps.

The more I look at the depth chart I have assembled the more I think not only could Byron Jones be moved to corner but if Obi and Marder can step up in the safety spot opposite Ty'Meer, I feel like Andrew Adams could make an easy transition to the corner spot to add help there. He is 6'0 so has the size that is ideal. I believe he has the speed and quickness too from what I saw last year. We are going to need big time help at corner next year. This would allow us to play Adams and Jones at CB with Mack at the nickel spot. I know its not ideal for Mack but he has been torched on the outside in single coverage. If Adams stays at S I think Hadley will have to play a big part of our D this year.

Reaction Score
I didn't even think of Adams, good point. I don't see him as a corner necessarily because I don't think he has the single coverage skills, but he could rotate in with Mack as a nickel or stay as a safety. He had some very good experience and I hope that he gets more opportunities in the safety blitz. He was a pretty good open field tackler and was able to make it in the backfield on screen plays to blow things up. I think he played very well against Maryland, NC State, and Pitt.

Reaction Score
Agree, I think we have to get some size at corner and we can't go with bookends Mack and Stevens given their size. Jones has played their some and to my eye Adams looks like a terrific natural athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom