2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 24 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That one guy has been doing it for years while the other has been doing it for one year is meaningless?

Not sure what this has to do with what you quoted. I didn't call it meaningless.

Reaction Score
Duke will live off the K legacy and recruiting for awhile and they have great classes BUT if they start to not live up to it.. start to fall.
So Cooper Flagg has a choice in coaches and our coach and staff is better than Duke's and we are on the rise.
The kid should not do what all the "experts" expect, show some independence and come here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm also not expecting a positive result, but I think if Duke was a done deal it'd be a done deal.

His mom sure seems quick to shut down premature or false rumors, so it does seem he's interested in visiting Storrs.
What other logical conclusion is there other than genuine interest?

A player of his caliber doesn’t have to play games to gain recognition. Cooper and probably his mom are deciding between two schools.

The fact that UConn was only just recently considered to be on his radar demonstrates how quickly the program’s success is paying dividends.

We are playing with house money which ever way his recruitment turns out. No one is expecting Cooper to come to UConn so it won’t be a failure if he doesn’t even as it brings positive conversation for the program.

Reaction Score
I don’t think espn will treat him like Zion if he’s not playing for an espn property.
First, the rating agencies will downgrade him to a 4*. Then, ESPN will anoint somebody else the next great generational talent, until that kid proves good but not great, then move on to the next. All theater.

Reaction Score
Right now we are at the very least…top 10
In recruiting in the country.. and we are trending upwards… we are turning into the elite of the elite as a basketball team… and to think some posters wanted Hurley fired last year

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

If NIL matters, a little Barstool Money would be nice…

And the exposure would be nice if they could make a podcast for him or something. Love them or hate them, Barstool has to be one of the biggest “sports” brands for people aged 15-40. A prime opportunity to really build a name for himself beyond the basketball junkies like us for whatever personal brand he wants to build when he gets to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was thanks. He was a blur, both ends!

By the way Al Marshall was an all state sprinter as well if my memory serves me correctly. Fastest kid in the state I believe.
He was triple jumper too. I think he almost went 50 ft. He beat me by 7 feet. Lol

Reaction Score
In the day and age of NIL, it would be foolish for any coveted recruit to narrow down his/her list to just one or two schools too early and vaporize NIL up-bidding.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Why did you make him your profile picture if you don’t think he’s coming here?
Hey, I said I remain hopeful. I also like trolling Duke fans, they throw a fit when you suggest he may go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I love our coaching staff as much as the next guy, but the difference to CF of going to Duke or UConn on his basketball future is probably slim enough to thread through a needle.
Agreed, like I said “just enough” but not much more.

For the record, I would love to see him come here but I also wonder how good it will be for the program.

UConn is not a “one and done” place - reminds me of Andre Drummond.

It’s fun to go and watch them play for a year but ”one and done’s“ aren’t usually the key factors in winning Championships.

Remember, on our way to the most dominating runs ever to win the NCAA Championship, we left many “one and done’s” on the sidelines….

I hope he comes here nevertheless but we’re fine either way.

Just saying‘

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

For the record, I would love to see him come here but I also wonder how good it will be for the program.

It’s fun to go and watch them play for a year but ”one and done’s“ aren’t usually the key factors in winning Championships.

Remember, on our way to the most dominating runs ever to win the NCAA Championship, we left many “one and done’s” on the sidelines….

Just saying‘
I'm not sure that you can compare this one-and-done situation with Drummond.

For openers, Andre committed roughly at this time ahead of what became his freshman year. There was basically zero prep time to determine how the roster would translate to playing time.

Additionally, when we added Andre, it was at a position where you cannot (in modern basketball) put two guys on the court at the same time but one of our few returning starters (and one of our better players) also played center.

Finally, I don't believe that AD coming here as a one-and-done was a mistake. Yes, the team as a whole had a more difficult season than we had expected and we flamed out in the first round, but I'm not sure it can be claimed that things would have been far different if Andre didn't come here. We had a worse year (with more experience and arguably better talent) two years earlier. We had very little experience at point guard (one was really a ball dominant scorer in a PG body who was subject to multiple NCAA harrassment in what was basically a witch hunt).

I wouldn't worry about CF (if we are able to land him) derailing the program.

Reaction Score

Just saying‘

Andre Drummond was a different situation I believe. There were a couple malcontents on that squad who weren't prepared to have someone better than them join the program. I don't believe the culture that Dan has molded would have or allow such a distraction now. But you I agree with the thoughts overall, fine either way.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That take kind of reminds me of an old Abbott and Costello routine.

Costello: "It's better to marry an ugly girl than a pretty girl"
Abbott: "Why is that?"
Costello: "A pretty girl could leave you"
Abbott: "An ugly girl can leave you too"
Costello: "Yeah, but you wouldn't care"

Reaction Score
Coming up with a downside to this kid spending a year in Storrs would require a level of creativity that I doubt anyone on this board possses.

The level of locker room cancer that this kid would need to be to off-set his talent is staggering. Like... murder a teammate or start a brawl with the football team kind of staggering.

Reaction Score
Additionally, when we added Andre, it was at a position where you cannot (in modern basketball) put two guys on the court at the same time but one of our few returning starters (and one of our better players) also played center.
Good post, but since accountants need to be accurate, what starter did we lose from '11 other than Kemba? (Hint, the answer is none, even if you don't count Olander as a starter and count Shabazz instead because he played more minutes).

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that you can compare this one-and-done situation with Drummond.

For openers, Andre committed roughly at this time ahead of what became his freshman year. There was basically zero prep time to determine how the roster would translate to playing time.

Finally, I don't believe that AD coming here as a one-and-done was a mistake. Yes, the team as a whole had a more difficult season than we had expected and we flamed out in the first round, but I'm not sure it can be claimed that things would have been far different if Andre didn't come here. We had a worse year (with more experience and arguably better talent) two years earlier. We had very little experience at point guard (one was really a ball dominant scorer in a PG body who was subject to multiple NCAA harrassment in what was basically a witch hunt).

I wouldn't worry about CF (if we are able to land him) derailing the program.
Andre also broke his nose preseason, which allowed even less time to integrate him with team and you could tell wearing the face mask really bothered him. If he didn’t break his nose, things might have been different. Also Alex Oriakhi seemed to have a lot of personal issues with Drummond and Calhoun. Finally losing Kemba Walker, left a leadership void on team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom