Coombs out with injury for remainder of season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coombs out with injury for remainder of season

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Blood clots in her leg? Poor kid. She never really got acclimated this season. Hopefully an off-season of rest, then practice and conditioning will allow her to be back with a vengeance next season!!

Reaction Score
:( Best wishes, Mikayla! We'll be rooting for your speedy recovery!

Reaction Score
I had a DVT in 2016. They can't have her practicing or playing on blood thinners in case she injures herself. She could suffer internal bleeding. It will clear on blood thinners next 3-6 months and she will go off of t hem and be able to practice and play.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Get well soon Mikayla. All Boneyarders are pulling for you.

And now the silver linings.

1. Geno likes a 11 member team (so I heard some time ago).
2. It is time for Lexi Gordon to step up (where?)
I'm thinking it's time for Molly Bent to step up. She is faster and better-conditioned than Lexi, based on what I saw at a couple of open practices (and also Geno's comments). She also has had two years to learn the system, although Lexi seems quite good in that department.

I wouldn't like to see Crystal and Kia both get in foul trouble in the same game (or for Crystal to need rest for her shins while Kia is in foul trouble), but if it happens it could be Molly's golden opportunity to make her mark on UConn WCBB history. I think Geno's faith in her is growing, albeit slowly.

Reaction Score
It's too late this year. No more than 7 the rest of the way.

Agree. And if necessary KLS, Gabby or Megan will be the emergency guard replacements. Should be stress free games till the final 8 against USC.

Reaction Score
Oh no, wishing Mikayla a speedy and healthy recovery.

Just do what the doctors say to get better. Root your team on for now. Forget playing basketball till this is cleared up. It will get better and you'll be back with experience for next season. Good luck Mikayla!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have three nieces on D1 basketball scholarships and none report the consistent number of stress fractures and related ankle/foot/etc. issues of UConn. Not saying that the fitness regime is good or bad-just curious if there is any factual info regarding topic.

Do you know how to do a Google search? Search: deep vein thrombosis among young athletes and there is a gyzer of info, like:

Deep vein thrombosis in a young marathon athlete. - PubMed - NCBI

Athletes and Blood Clots - Blood Clots

Hidden danger: DVT in endurance athletes

Reasons for life-threatening blood clots in elite athletes

etc

etc

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Totally NOT true.

Two such "issues" for UCONN this year. KLS aggravated a previous ankle injury and Crystal Dangerfield has a stress fracture that is being managed. BOTH are healthy and playing their regular minutes.

You were probably thinking of Notre Dame, Duke, South Carolina, Iowa, Arizona, Baylor or you made a careless assumption that UCONN must be the leader in the leg injury department as well as every other category

Or his nieces don't go hard in practice or are the bench most of the game

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Unfortunate news via UConn...hope she gets to travel

Given that the leading cause of DVT is sitting on planes, I hope she's not even tempted.

She will get the best treatment, and I'm sure her docs will find the cause. This is unusual in someone so young and active. I hope it's transient and nothing serious.

Reaction Score
Given that the leading cause of DVT is sitting on planes, I hope she's not even tempted.

She will get the best treatment, and I'm sure her docs will find the cause. This is unusual in someone so young and active. I hope it's transient and nothing serious.
Albany or Columbus aren't that far... they could take the bus! (But otherwise, agreed!)

Reaction Score

Please. I'm sure she will get appropriate advice from her own doctors on what is/isnt ok.

And if UConn is fortunate enough, Columbus is less than 2 hours.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am so sorry to hear this news about Mikayla. Praying for a speedy recovery!! I am so glad they caught it early. I am looking forward to watching Mikayla next season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Unfortunate news via UConn...hope she gets to travel

STORRS, Conn. –
UConn women’s basketball freshman guard Mikayla Coombs will miss the remainder of the 2017-18 season and is being treated for deep vein thrombosis.

The Buford, Ga., native had seen time in 25 games and was averaging 1.1 points per game with 17 steals. Coombs was the 2017 Georgia Gatorade Player of the Year.

I doubt they'll let her travel as long trips can exacerbate the problem; I hope she's better soon.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Of primary importance/ concern is Mikayla's health. Plane travel and games become insignificant now.

I, as many others, look forward to seeing Mikayla completely healthy and back on the court as a major contributor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom