Connecticut Sun Bound To Chase 'Seattle Stew' | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun Bound To Chase 'Seattle Stew'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sun, WNBA Teams Bound To Chase 'Seattle Stew'

Seattle Stew. She is the UConn thoroughbred every WNBA team wanted. She is the basketball thoroughbred who figures to be a Triple Crown winner one day. Stewart already has the NCAA championship. In fact, she stands to be the first player to win four national championships next April. And what's to stop her from winning a WNBA title and an Olympic gold medal some day? Not much.

Diana Taurasi might be the greatest winner. Maya Moore might be the most skilled. Tina Charles might be the dominant post player. But nobody can do as much damage all over the floor, inside, outside, as Stewart.

"She is the future in terms of her versatility," Boucek said. "A quarter of our team could possibly be UConn players. We like that. "We're trying to put in a system that is becoming more and more position-less. So she would be a good fit there." You know what position Stewart plays? That's right. Any one she wants.

"UConn players are pro ready," Boucek said. "Geno Auriemma does an incredible job of, first of all, choosing players that have the 'it' factor and then he cultivates it. The culture he has and the eye he has not just for the most athletic players, not necessarily even the most talented, but the best basketball players, teammates and winners, has translated really well to the WNBA."

Will the Sun make a run at Stewart in a trade? Of course they will. They have to. Every team has to try.

"I think it will be really difficult to get anybody to trade a player like that," Etess said. "But it's a long time between now and draft day. There are a lot of phone lines to use. We'll be looking at improving our team in every way possible up to and including that."

Trading Seattle Stew?
"I think that's a little unlikely," Boucek said, "but never say never."

[LINK] to complete article

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If I'm Stewie, I don't sign with the Sun unless they get a new coach. Look at the recent track record. Top draft choice 2014: Injured, misses entire year. Top draft choice 2015: Injured, misses most of the 2nd half of season. Only averaged a paltry 3 points. Every year the Sun has a ton of injuries. Right now, it's where careers go to die.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If you are Phoenix, would you trade DT3 to Seattle for the 1st pick in the draft or visa versa?

Reaction Score
AD must go or the Sun can take the best women's basketball fan base and let it wither away!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If you are Phoenix, would you trade DT3 to Seattle for the 1st pick in the draft or visa versa?
If you are Seattle, you don't take that trade. Love Dee - she's the best in the world. But she's also north of 30 and just took the past year off to rest because she makes more $$ playing in Russia. Maybe if they threw in Dee and Bonner, Seattle might consider it... JMO

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If I'm Seattle, I can't fathom any trade that I would accept for that pick.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Griner? Chiney and Moriah should the draft break that way? I can imagine a few that could be interesting. Maya?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
AD must go or the Sun can take the best women's basketball fan base and let it wither away!

Or you can just move the franchise to Charlotte...... Donovan has had success there in the past.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Elena Delle Donne. Established star. Current MVP. Relatively young. Similar skillset/position (6-4/6-5, ability to play inside and out, tremendous range on the shot). But Chicago would not do that trade.

This was the only possible trade I could fathom.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Griner? Chiney and Moriah should the draft break that way? I can imagine a few that could be interesting. Maya?

There is no single player I would take straight up for Stewart not even Griner or Maya. I think Stewart has equally high (i.e MVP-level) potential and is younger.

I wouldn't take Chiney and Moriah, probably not even if Chiney was healthy but definitely not with Chiney coming off microfracture surgery.

There's no need to overthink this for Seattle. Draft Stewart, team her with Loyd. Keep them together and happy and watch the wins pile up.

EDIT: Wouldn't take Delle Donne for her either. Stewart is almost five full years younger and doesn't have chronic Lyme.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No doubt about Stewart's talent and potential, but I do think a player like Maya, and perhaps Chiney were better leaders at comparable periods in their careers - not players necessarily, but leaders - and that is important in the mix of a team and in the results achieved. DT and Maya are the absolute best in that regard I have ever seen, and Catchings is probably the third in that class. Seattle does have Sue for a few more years, and I found the coaches comments about Sue's role very interesting ('unofficial best assistant coach in the game') but unfortunately her playing days are dwindling down to a precious few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom