"Connecticut Brings NOTHING To The Table In Football" | The Boneyard

"Connecticut Brings NOTHING To The Table In Football"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Breaking news this morning from Bill King (in reference to CR). Anyone know a good sign company?

Reaction Score
It's kind of true at the moment. It's really a big soft spot.

Reaction Score
Billy Jean King? I heard she was a pretty good tennis player

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I am sorry but what does one more talking head in the middle of nowhere saying we have no chance in football matter. None! The truth be told that with the right coach (we have it) and the right league (its coming) we will become what others like a washed up Tennessee program fear. A competitive beast! If we are so not worth while… why do people who are outside of Connecticut keep having to say we have nothing to bring to the table! I think I smell fear….

Reaction Score

We're three years and a 13-23 W/L record with no bowl games...removed from the Fiesta Bowl vs. Oklahoma on Jan. 1, 2011.

Although the publicity around the Fiesta Bowl managed by UCONN was a disaster - the reality is that we represented very well that day. While we know that, the public does not - thus the word.....'publicity'. I'm quite sure that kind of ticketing/marketing/publicity disaster won't happen again.

With the right kind of publicity, the public now knows for sure about UCONN in NYC. With the right kind of publicity around a bowl game, the public will also put to the rest that concept that UCONN doesn't travel and get up for big games and events and stages.

So while we suffered through three craptastic seasons under a head coach that once really did respect (no longer), it's a soft spot for sure right now, and I hope that the current regime of coaches and returning and new players - embrace the task full force and get us back to kicking ass.

As for bringing nothing - it's horse manure.

Game time against BYU in 150 days.

Reaction Score

I'm surprised you agree with that statement which is provably untrue.

First, we bring TV sets, the 3oth largest SMSA in the country and the largest without a professional team of any kind for competition.

Second, we bring one of the wealthiest demographics to the table

Third, we bring most modern stadium in the country (which can easily be expanded by the way) which had been mostly full even against mediocre competition with an awful coach. It doesn't take much imagination to predict what happens in a good conference against marquee opponents (see Michigan).

Fourth, we bring a program that is producing multiple NFL draftees every year.

Fifth, I could add numerous numbers to this list.

Reaction Score
As opposed to BC, Syracuse, Wake, Rutgers, Duke, etc., etc.?

Reaction Score
2007 - wins over Duke (ACC), Pittsburgh (ACC), Louisville, (ACC), Rutgers (Big Ten) and Syracuse (ACC)
2008 - wins over Virginia (ACC), Baylor (Big XII), Lousiville (ACC) and Syracuse (ACC)
2009 - wins over Baylor (Big XII), Louisville (ACC), Notre Dame, Syracuse (ACC) and South Carolina (SEC)
2010 - wins over Vanderbilt (SEC), West Virginia (Big XII), Syracuse (ACC) and Pittsburgh (ACC)
2011 - wins over Syracuse (ACC) and Rutgers (Big Ten)
2012 - wins over Maryland (Big Ten), Pittsburgh (ACC) and Louisville (ACC)
2013 - win over Rutgers (Big Ten)

That's 24 wins over teams from the P5 conferences since 2007. I don't know what else a program can do over that time frame, cause I guarantee you that half of the so-called P5 teams do not have that many wins.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised you agree with that statement which is provably untrue.

First, we bring TV sets, the 3oth largest SMSA in the country and the largest without a professional team of any kind for competition.

Second, we bring one of the wealthiest demographics to the table

Third, we bring most modern stadium in the country (which can easily be expanded by the way) which had been mostly full even against mediocre competition with an awful coach. It doesn't take much imagination to predict what happens in a good conference against marquee opponents (see Michigan).

Fourth, we bring a program that is producing multiple NFL draftees every year.

Fifth, I could add numerous numbers to this list.

I agree with all that. But in this case, the perception can be the reality unfortunately.

I do think if Jim Delaney were to peel back the onion a little he would see all that.

Reaction Score
here's the thing...Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, Kentucky bring nothing in terms of football either. Seriously. nothing. no national brand, not chance of ever winning the SEC or even being relevant. Great, they can still be good teams, but they honestly don't matter. If any of those schools left the SEC they'd suck just as if any school replaced them in the SEC, they'd be their equal almost immediately.

What's his point? The idea that "football drives the bus" is fine and dandy, but there are only about 20 programs (Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, ND, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Florida State etc) that actually MATTER and move the needle in college football. The only ones that are in play might be Texas and Oklahoma. UConn has a brand that has more value than anything that 20 P5 schools could ever offer.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
here's the thing...Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, Kentucky bring nothing in terms of football either. Seriously. nothing. no national brand, not chance of ever winning the SEC or even being relevant. Great, they can still be good teams, but they honestly don't matter. If any of those schools left the SEC they'd suck just as if any school replaced them in the SEC, they'd be their equal almost immediately.

What's his point? The idea that "football drives the bus" is fine and dandy, but there are only about 20 programs (Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, ND, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Florida State etc) that actually MATTER and move the needle in college football. The only ones that are in play might be Texas and Oklahoma. UConn has a brand that has more value than anything that 20 P5 schools could ever offer.

20 is being kind, it's at least 30. Find me a team on this list that has had significantly more success in the last ten years. (6 bowl games, 2 conf titles, 1 BCS) game)

BC
Cuse
Pitt
UVA
NCSt
WF

Ill
Purdue
NW
Minn
Indiana
RU
MD

ISU
KSt
TT
TCU
Baylor

OSU
UW
Wazzou
Colorado
Utah
Zona
ASU

Miss
MSSt
GaTech
scar
vandy

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Unfortunately it is more than just kind of true. This is why we need to hope the next round of CR doesn't occur until a few years from now and we have the opportunity to show what our football program can be.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bill King is your typical radio jackass who says increasingly outrageous things until he incites someone to call into his radio show. He was just shaking the tree for any UConn football fans that might have been listening.

Reaction Score
Laugh (at nelsonmuntz) to start the morning bump.

Reaction Score
Bill King is your typical radio jackass who says increasingly outrageous things until he incites someone to call into his radio show. He was just shaking the tree for any UConn football fans that might have been listening.

This sounds all too familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr