Congratulations Stef and Azura! WNBA Champs! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Congratulations Stef and Azura! WNBA Champs!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Regardless of the outcome between the Sky and Mercury, a UCONN alum still would've won a title this year. Congrats to all!
A total of five six UConn alums between the two teams:
Chicago: Dolson, Stevens
Phoenix: Taurasi, Nurse, Hartley, Walker

Have there ever been this many UConn alums in the WNBA finals?

Reaction Score
Was at the game and was so happy to have so many UCONN Huskies to cheer for. Being born and raised in Chicago, I was leaning towards the Sky, but still gave Dee a little clap every basket. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Only one other UConn alum won Olympic gold and a WNBA championship in the same year. Sue Bird in 2004. Remarkably, none of Maya's 4 championships were in Olympic years.

Maya had that "odd year" thing going--2011, 2013, 2015, 2017. But it meant that she won a major championship of some sort pretty much every year.

Reaction Score
Congrats indeed!! Big mama Stef and Z. Both played huge roles in this Championship series. Z with her defense on BG and Stef with her ability to pass & shoot from deep. Plus being the greatest teammate possible! Allowing herself to come off the bench and embrace that role throughout the playoffs. Those are keys to being a great team and teammate. Bless you, Stef. Bless you, Z. Congrats, Chicago Sky and Candace Parker!!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The key play to the Sky championship came not during the playoffs but at the end of the regular season when Breanna Stewart injured her foot. Asterisk, anyone?
If you're playing that game, the Storm's title last year has a big asterisk for so many players sitting out due to covid. Give credit where it's due.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just for fun, the scores allowed by Phoenix in playoff games before Nurse got hurt--82, 80 (OT), 96, 91. Got hurt 1 minute into the game where they only gave up 60, following that 93, 84, 91, 86 (OT), 86 and 80. So...the Mercs defense sucked the entire playoffs, before and after Nurse got hurt. Aces guards were lighting up the Merc about the same pre and post injury. Gonna have to say this "Phoenix would've won the Championship if they had Nurse" narrative isn't holding much water for me.

Agreed. Especially since two of the games were blowout wins, and the one game the Merc won was in OT and required ample luck in the form of Deshields not getting off a 3 in time and some home cooking by the refs. Sky were clearly the better team across 4 games even if the best player in the series was Phoenix's Brittney Griner. I get the argument that Nurse could have made the series more competitive, but to say that injury decided the series is a major stretch IMO.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not to take anything away from Steph but now I remember why I don't watch the WNBA anymore. The refs let so much contact that it's nothing like the way it's supposed to be played. In some States it would have been considered an assault on some of the players. DT got mugged, pushed, shoved, even got hit upside the head and no call. These refs shouldn't even be able to call grade school basketball.
Serg, I agree that the refereeing yesterday and throughout the series was bad at times, and egregious at others. I love the WNBA. It fills the gap between May and November with women’s basketball. The men endure the same horrible calls as the women do. I watch the WNBA in spite of the refs. I thought Copper deserved the MVP award. She was “constant“ throughout the series. I remember her at Rutgers when she wasn’t the best player on that team. Fayonda Fitzgerald and Bitnijah Laney were. She certainly has matured and improved her game. Happy for her. The Sky don win that series without Quigly, Parker and her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great for Steph & Z, although I must confess I was pulling for the GOAT to pull one more rabbit out of her hat.
I wanted her to have a 4th before she hangs it up (it is getting close) to join Sue and Maya with that count. Beyond that, I expect Stewie, currently at two, to get there too.

Bad luck that Kia went down the round before, they could have used her perimeter defense.

But good that it added to the number of UConn WBB alumni to the roster of WNBA title winners - either way, it would have since Kia, Megan and Bria are on the other side.

Reaction Score
I suspect the short Italian guy had an inkling that Steph could become really, really, really good. ;)
Didn't see it for sure until Junior year but he was proved right.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom