OT: - Confusing coaching strategy | The Boneyard

OT: Confusing coaching strategy

Reaction Score
I just finished watching a game between Rutgers and Nebraska men. Although I am not a student of the finer points of basketball, I am struggling to understand a strategy that cost Nebraska the game. With about 61 seconds left in the game Nebraska had the ball with a 3 point lead. The point guard held the ball until 6 seconds remained on the shot clock, tried to make a drive and coughed the ball up. Rutgers came down, was fouled and hit 2 shots making it a 1 point game. Nebraska came back, milked the clock to 9 seconds and coughed it up again. Rutgers came back, hit a put-back bucket to win. It's the same strategy as "prevent defense" in football - it should be called "prevent offense". In both cases, as many times as not, it prevents a victory.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I just finished watching a game between Rutgers and Nebraska men. Although I am not a student of the finer points of basketball, I am struggling to understand a strategy that cost Nebraska the game. With about 61 seconds left in the game Nebraska had the ball with a 3 point lead. The point guard held the ball until 6 seconds remained on the shot clock, tried to make a drive and coughed the ball up. Rutgers came down, was fouled and hit 2 shots making it a 1 point game. Nebraska came back, milked the clock to 9 seconds and coughed it up again. Rutgers came back, hit a put-back bucket to win. It's the same strategy as "prevent defense" in football - it should be called "prevent offense". In both cases, as many times as not, it prevents a victory.
Seen all too often.

Reaction Score
That style got them the lead but did not get them a win. Ultimately Rutgers sophomore guard Corey Sanders made play after play in the 2nd half to get the win for Rutgers. He looks like the real deal. Congratulations to former UConn player and asst coach Steve Pikell on his first Big 10 win as Rutgers HC.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with the strategy, it was execution that cost Nebraska the game. I did not see the game....milking the clock makes sense, however you need to start your offense with at least 10 seconds on the clock

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom