Confederations Cup 2017 | The Boneyard

Confederations Cup 2017

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Confederations Cup starts this weekend from Russia. Fox, FS1, Telemundo, Univision will be carrying the games here in the States.

Group A
Russia
New Zealand
Portugal
Mexico

Group B
Cameroon
Chile
Australia
Germany

Russia/New Zealand start off Sat (6/17), then Portugal/Mexico and Cameroon/Chile on Sunday.

Everyone seems to have a pretty good squad. Germany has a younger squad, but that still includes ter Stegen, Can, Kimmich, Sane, Draxler.

Should be some decent games to keep our attention until the Gold Cup.

Reaction Score
Only interested because my national team, Portugal is in it. Been hearing that this may very well be the final edition of the Confed Cup (Qatar '21 in the winter isn't happening). Anyways, it's always a good dry run for the WC and to see what the host country brings to the table (vuvuzelas 2009, riots 2013). Better than nothing!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Confederations Cup starts this weekend from Russia. Fox, FS1, Telemundo, Univision will be carrying the games here in the States.

Group A
Russia
New Zealand
Portugal
Mexico

Group B
Cameroon
Chile
Australia
Germany

Russia/New Zealand start off Sat (6/17), then Portugal/Mexico and Cameroon/Chile on Sunday.

Everyone seems to have a pretty good squad. Germany has a younger squad, but that still includes ter Stegen, Can, Kimmich, Sane, Draxler.

Should be some decent games to keep our attention until the Gold Cup.
I'm going to go with a surprise but I think Portugal gets bounced in the group stage. The Ronaldo thing will hang over their national team and Russia will defend home turf. I've got Russia and Mexico getting out of A and Germany and Chile getting out of B with Chile beating Mexico in the final.

Reaction Score
Germany is going with a group of young guns. Will be interesting to see how they do and how some of these new kids are integrated into the WC roster next year

Reaction Score
I only caught the last 5 minutes of Portugal - Mexico yesterday (turned on just before Portugal went up 2-1), and apparently that's all i really needed to see. Nice resolve by Mexico to get the late goal.

Reaction Score
They have a nice team that goes 100 mph. Fun to watch.
... and, # 10 or not, Chile will be a World Cup threat.

Chile-Cameroon was a fun match to watch; upstart video replay a work in process. Eduardo Vargas' dubiously called-back 1H goal appeared legit by my eyes; his 2H goal likely should have been called back. Nonetheless, it was the most entertaining match to date with a close 2nd to DEU-AUS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mexico/Germany could be a very good game Thursday, the Frijoles have been playing very well.

Reaction Score
Mexico/Germany could be a very good game Thursday, the Frijoles have been playing very well.
Germany essentially sent their U21/23 team to Russia, and they've done well. Mexico has been entertaining to watch so far. Should be a pretty wide open game (which means it will probably finish 0-0, w/ the winner coming from PK's). I didn't see Chile-Australia... how the heck did that draw happen?

Reaction Score
Germany essentially sent their U21/23 team to Russia, and they've done well. Mexico has been entertaining to watch so far. Should be a pretty wide open game (which means it will probably finish 0-0, w/ the winner coming from PK's). I didn't see Chile-Australia... how the heck did that draw happen?
Chile-Australia was a very open match. The Chilean defense looked like statues when Australia got men in the box. Weird game.

Reaction Score
Vidal is so much fun to watch. The hair, the tats, the intensity. Germany's B team is destroying Mexico. They're gonna scary good next year

Reaction Score
Another dose of reality for CONCACAF. Germany just sat back and countered them to death.

Reaction Score
Another dose of reality for CONCACAF. Germany just sat back and countered them to death.
Ja, Deutschland's C-roster! The better team won just as Chile finally sent Portugal and the whiniest one home 3-0 in a penalty shootout. With 2 shots off the woodwork and a fairly apparent Portugal penalty in the box during extra time, La Roja really should not have need the penalty shots. However, Man City's Claudio Bravo came up huge with 3 stops for Chile. Albeit Germany's C-roster, it's good to see the tourney's two best teams reach the final. Vamos Chile!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Crazy how much depth the German program has.
Yea, they are only missing Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Howedes, Özil, Kroos, Khedira, Sane, Gotze, Gundogen, Mueller, Gomez, Shurrle.

:eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So many ronaldo haters lol
download.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Two quick thoughts: Chile's time has come and gone. And the video officiating systems hurts what makes the game so great. It's much more bad than good.

Reaction Score
Two quick thoughts: Chile's time has come and gone. And the video officiating systems hurts what makes the game so great. It's much more bad than good.

Seriously? They make a finals, have the better of the play and lose on an absolutely unforced error and you know from that they're done?

I wish I was that smart.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seriously? They make a finals, have the better of the play and lose on an absolutely unforced error and you know from that they're done?

I wish I was that smart.
They can't score and they spit the bit against a B team. You can have 'em.

Reaction Score
They had their chances late yesterday. They'll be in the mix to win it next year, then that door will likely close.

That may have been Germany's B squad, but all those guys play for upper echelon clubs. I bet they'd give the As a solid run, and a handful of them will start next year

Reaction Score
They can't score and they spit the bit against a B team. You can have 'em.

If Chile works on defending as a team, they will be in good shape next summer

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom