Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A bit behind catching up on this thread.

After having a couple of days to mull it over, and read different perspectives, my opinion is unchanged.

Barf. And no thanks.

Being an Indy is way more preferable than aligning with this group of schools. Even if it's just for football.

Reaction Score
It’s not happening, but the fact that we are even mentioned in this group is really quite sad and shows how far we have fallen. I do believe there is a chance for recovery but the time is now. This next hire is so critical for the football program.
I actually think we were mentioned because we are an independent. That’s about the only reason.

Reaction Score
It’s not happening, but the fact that we are even mentioned in this group is really quite sad and shows how far we have fallen. I do believe there is a chance for recovery but the time is now. This next hire is so critical for the football program.
This makes no sense. We were mentioned here because Judy Macleod thought leaking that we might join CUSA would help CUSA bring in new members and/or keep current members. We were never actually going to do it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It is news.. it’s old news. Dave wanted to move basketball ( I'm not sure about some other sports ) to the big east and keep football and the rest in the AAC and Mike Aresco said that wasn’t happening, so Dave made the decision to go independent. Aresco wanted the basketball team to stay put and Dave had other plans with the basketball program.
No, we left the conference. We would have liked to put football back in but the decision was taken: we were leaving the AAC. Getting kicked out suggests it was involuntary when in fact it was voluntary.

Reaction Score
Personally I would tell C-USA to take a walk. UConn could have stayed in the AAC just for Football. And for now I'm fine with them being an Independent. We all can through names of schools around as alignment is taking place throughout the country at all levels.

Is there any chance that other schools would be willing to start another conference? As yes we have enough already. But why not?

The Eastern Conference lets say. And, can be football only. You start with:

UConn; UMass; Temple; Army; Navy; Liberty; Buffalo; Marshall and James Madison before they jump into the Sun Belt.

All of the schools are east of the Mississippi and are West - Virginia to New England. Travel would not be costly. Olympic sports can stay where they are currently conferenced.

They keys here are of course Army and Navy with their National Brand.

That's nine schools. You play eight conference games then whomever to build cash flow or wins.

Reaction Score
Personally I would tell C-USA to take a walk. UConn could have stayed in the AAC just for Football.

That’s factually inaccurate:

-> American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco says there is no chance the conference will keep the University of Connecticut as a football-only member. <-

Reaction Score
Personally I would tell C-USA to take a walk. UConn could have stayed in the AAC just for Football. And for now I'm fine with them being an Independent. We all can through names of schools around as alignment is taking place throughout the country at all levels.

Is there any chance that other schools would be willing to start another conference? As yes we have enough already. But why not?

The Eastern Conference lets say. And, can be football only. You start with:

UConn; UMass; Temple; Army; Navy; Liberty; Buffalo; Marshall and James Madison before they jump into the Sun Belt.

All of the schools are east of the Mississippi and are West - Virginia to New England. Travel would not be costly. Olympic sports can stay where they are currently conferenced.

They keys here are of course Army and Navy with their National Brand.

That's nine schools. You play eight conference games then whomever to build cash flow or wins.
You're too late on Marshall and JMU, and I'm not sure why they would choose a football-only conference (which isn't allowed by NCAA rules) over the Sun Belt. Also, I'd rather drink hemlock than be in a league with Liberty.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It’s a freak show conference.

I’d rather be FCS in a regional conference.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
So we were too good for Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, UCF? And now we’re moving up to Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee?

Reaction Score
UCONN to CUSA is a red herring.

For me the bigger issue is whether DB has a clear strategy of what they want for UCONN football. Hopefully they do and will start doing a better job articulating it to the fanbase.

I continue to believe there is huge change coming to college athletics. The significance of NIL is being largely overlooked. Eventually folks will realize that only a small portion of football programs will be able to compete at the highest level. My hope, and I think a realistic one, is that this drives segments of the market to regional alliances.

Will be interesting.

Reaction Score
UCONN to CUSA is a red herring.

For me the bigger issue is whether DB has a clear strategy of what they want for UCONN football. Hopefully they do and will start doing a better job articulating it to the fanbase.

I continue to believe there is huge change coming to college athletics. The significance of NIL is being largely overlooked. Eventually folks will realize that only a small portion of football programs will be able to compete at the highest level. My hope, and I think a realistic one, is that this drives segments of the market to regional alliances.

Will be interesting.

Did you read the piece above? Benedict has been very clear about the direction of the program. Anyone who still doesn't understand the plan is being willfully ignorant.

Reaction Score
Did you read the piece above? Benedict has been very clear about the direction of the program. Anyone who still doesn't understand the plan is being willfully ignorant.
Yup. UConn as an Independent has two massive advantages over the G5 - the linear national TV deal, and if a recruit wants to play P5 games only a team in a P5 conference or Notre Dame can offer more. With the right coaching staff UConn can take flight.

Reaction Score
No, it doesn't. The money we get from CBS isn't enough to make you do something stupid. It's not like Fox telling the Big East to do something stupid.

I like independence, but only if we can keep the CBS tv deal. Otherwise, we would be in an even tougher spot.

Reaction Score
I actually think we were mentioned because we are an independent. That’s about the only reason.
And they're desperate to give off the optics of being desirable. They knew they had no shot at us and used us.

Reaction Score
Or lazy. Or just doesn't want to believe.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm with you. Hopefully this wakes up the MAC and they offer us and UMASS football only invitations. I've been saying for a while that would be a fun northeastern league for us as we bide our time waiting for a P5 invite.
P5 invite? Are you serious?

I’d love a P5 invitation. But I’m a realist and the odds of that happening in this century are 0.00001%.

Reaction Score
I like independence, but only if we can keep the CBS tv deal. Otherwise, we would be in an even tougher spot.
We obviously have to get better, but CBS is getting a bargain with some of the teams we are hosting. It's not a stretch to say that a successful coach can get us a pay raise from CBS, based on the opponents already booked going forward.

Reaction Score

Yes I did?

What constitutes success on the field for UCONN over the next 3-5 years?

What constitutes success for attendance and media coverage?

Where is UCONN positioned regionally and nationally over that same period?

How will UCONN football address NIL? Is it a threat or opportunity?

Look, I can understand why the guy might not want or be able to share those details publicly. All I’m saying is that kind of planning needs to be done with those objectives in mind.

This will take great leadership and vision. Hopefully DB is the guy.

Reaction Score
Yup. UConn as an Independent has two massive advantages over the G5 - the linear national TV deal, and if a recruit wants to play P5 games only a team in a P5 conference or Notre Dame can offer more. With the right coaching staff UConn can take flight.
The only problem might be the P5 are increasing the number of league games and thus reducing the opportunities for UConn to get on their schedules.
Our main asset is leveraging basketball (men and women) games with football but that could be questionable once Geno retires.

Reaction Score
P5 invite? Are you serious?

I’d love a P5 invitation. But I’m a realist and the odds of that happening in this century are 0.00001%.
There is a very strong chance UConn will get a P5 or P4 invite. It might even come this decade. FB just has to rebound to top 30 status and Mens BB has to return to Final 4 greatness. I think both can happen. UConn might even be able to get AAU membership once the research volume increases significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom