'Competitive maturity': UConn football, without a fight in camp, is on to preparation for NC State (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

'Competitive maturity': UConn football, without a fight in camp, is on to preparation for NC State (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> “I thought they just did a tremendous job of competing in a cooperative manner,” coach Jim Mora said Friday. “It's the first time in my career I can remember that we didn’t have a training camp fight. Not a single fight.”

“… And yet they competed like crazy every single day,” said Mora, who pushed the program back in the right direction with a 6-7 record and a bowl appearance last season. “To me, that's a sign of maturity. It's a sign they respect each other. It's a sign that they care about each other and that they understand what our objectives are. “I’ve been doing this a long time. Camps get hot, they get heated. But if you can't control yourself in that environment, it's hard to go out and perform on a Saturday. So I love the competitive maturity of this team.” <-

-> “It got very emotional at times,” said junior offensive lineman Valentin Senn, who transferred to UConn from Colorado in 2021. “But people are just maturing with the help from the coaching staff. So we were able to figure out how to control those emotions and used them to our advantage as opposed to letting them get the best of us and doing something we will regret in the aftermath. Coach has a very strict policy — no fights. We know we want to get the work in and we don't want to waste a practice, so, obviously, if we want to get better we cannot fight, period.” <-

-> They have acted like adults this summer, taking cues from leaders of the defense (Jackson Mitchell) and offense (Christian Haynes). “They know how to practice,” Mora said. “They know how to get after it and be competitive and be physical without trying to hurt each other. They know how to stay on their feet. Football, injuries come a lot of times when guys are on the ground. Our guys know how to practice hard. I don't want to compare it to an NFL team because we're not an NFL team. But we practice like NFL teams practice — hard, physical, but we try to take care of each other. That's a good feeling to have. You can always feel the intensity of a practice. I don't think we've had one practice where I've gone, 'I didn't like the intensity.' To me, it's the sign of a mature team.” <-

Reaction Score
I choose not to take Sander's side. He could have expressed the concept of no man left behind using infinitely better language.

Maybe CU is the Big 12's Louisville regarding embarrassment? And that's what it is, Deion's remarks were embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I choose not to take Sander's side. He could have expressed the concept of no man left behind using infinitely better language.

Maybe CU is the Big 12's Louisville regarding embarrassment? And that's what it is, Deion's remarks were embarrassing.
Sanders is right. One of your guys in a scrap you have to go out there and be there to help. Even to break it up.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Eh...I am not a Sanders fan but what he said is true. And its how you build a team. Especially a team of players who don't have history with each other....which is what he has.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Sanders is right. One of your guys in a scrap you have to go out there and be there to help. Even to break it up.
I play on a moderately competitive over 48 year old soccer team. I also have a job that would frown on me getting arrested. However, I take the number of any guy who messes with one of my teammates and makes sure he knows that he made a bad choice.

Reaction Score

I'm not a Sander's honk but there is nothing wrong with what he said and it's definitely not an embarrassment. This wasn't some prepared statement. It was said directly after the incident and he was, I'm sure, a bit fired up about what he just saw with guys walking away.

Reaction Score

Louisville……..the most corrupt athletic dept in college sports. Colorado might object to the comparison.

Reaction Score
There is a story, not sure it is completely true, that Frank Leahy the old Norte Dame coach had a way of dealing with guys who took cheap shots at his guys. He would give up the next play and have his line all go after the offender.

Reaction Score
Sign of brotherhood... Going to war with your brothers... You have support your teammates....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom