colored hair, tats, nail polish, social media | Page 2 | The Boneyard

colored hair, tats, nail polish, social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are a number of pro teams that have travel dress codes and they used to be the norm. There was ones men's team a few years ago that finally allowed facial hair. And I think most college teams mens and women's have dress codes for public/travel.

The idea with the tats, hair color, and nail polish is that they are all 'me' things and CD is all about 'team' - similar to DT being told she could not have the #1 for her jersey, and the no names on the jerseys. In one of the history pieces John ran about the early days on campus - one of the first things CD got the team was team sweaters and the players were so proud of them they wore them everywhere - a way to create a team atmosphere and a sense of belonging.

I think the social media thing is a protection for the players, like the training they receive on handling the media. To easy to post something without really thinking about the ramifications. And again it is a 'me' kind of thing.

Interestingly Saniya is not required to cover her tat which is her brothers birth date I think? on her wrist.

I am sure a few kids find the rules a turn off, but I suspect very few. Being an elite athlete requires a lot of personal sacrifices and a lot of discipline, and I suspect a lot of kids find it sort of neat as well.

Reaction Score
What does it mean to be "unwilling to give up those things"? UConn recruits could go anywhere else, including a lot of other schools that have a history (although a less impressive one) of preparing kids for NCAA success and for the WNBA. Maybe the thing about colored hair is the thing that makes the difference (as it honestly might have been for me at that age). That doesn't (on it's own) mean that the kid in question isn't UConn material.

It means if you are unwilling to sacrifice giving up "those things" then you might be unwilling to get up at 5am to train and sacrifice your sleep, or might be unwilling to sacrifice giving up social time to go to a team meeting. Being a UConn player is full of sacrifice and if you are unwilling to do that then you are not UConn material and I suggest that you do go somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Interestingly Saniya is not required to cover her tat which is her brothers birth date I think? on her wrist.

I am sure a few kids find the rules a turn off, but I suspect very few. Being an elite athlete requires a lot of personal sacrifices and a lot of discipline, and I suspect a lot of kids find it sort of neat as well.
Her tattoo has her brothers birth year and the year he took his own life. When Geno was asked about it during an interview he just shrugged and said he "really didn't think about it." One of those exceptions to the rule I guess.

But I believe you might be on to something about the "sort of neat" idea. Something the team can rally around type of mentality. It reminds me of the movie "The Dirty Dozen" when none of them were allowed to shave and it gave them a type of unity. Interesting thought.

Reaction Score
Her tattoo has her brothers birth year and the year he took his own life. When Geno was asked about it during an interview he just shrugged and said he "really didn't think about it." One of those exceptions to the rule I guess.

But I believe you might be on to something about the "sort of neat" idea. Something the team can rally around type of mentality. It reminds me of the movie "The Dirty Dozen" when none of them were allowed to shave and it gave them a type of unity. Interesting thought.
That sounds more like the Red Sox last year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What does it mean to be "unwilling to give up those things"? UConn recruits could go anywhere else, including a lot of other schools that have a history (although a less impressive one) of preparing kids for NCAA success and for the WNBA. Maybe the thing about colored hair is the thing that makes the difference (as it honestly might have been for me at that age). That doesn't (on it's own) mean that the kid in question isn't UConn material.
Well that's kind of the point of UCONN material. What you are willing to sacrifice for the team. If you are not willing to sacrifice for the team, than not really UCONN material.

Kinda self defining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis