Colorado up on LSU double digits | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Colorado up on LSU double digits

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, Kim will sort this out over the next couple of months. By February LSU will be playing more like a team and be a tough out for most opponents, or at least tougher. It was always surprising that she scheduled Colorado this early. She needed to smash a dozen or so cupcakes before taking on a tournament team from last season, especially one that returns all its starters.
Coach Mulkey will get things figured out really quick for her LSU squad. They will finish out the month of November strong, 8-1. I think they win that Virginia Tech game on the 30th.

Reaction Score
Coach Mulkey will get things figured out really quick for her LSU squad. They will finish out the month of November strong, 8-1. I think they win that Virginia Tech game on the 30th.
They will finish November 'strong,' I believe that. This is their schedule through December. Other than VPI it's cupcakes all the way down. Probably end up12-2. As for beating VPI, I doubt it. It's not impossible. But if they do win that game it will say more about VPI than it does about them. The real question for me is if UVa can upset them.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 10.15.17 AM.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably. This is a wake up call for the kids to accept their roles and embrace team play. Mulkey is one of the best coaches in the game. I like the odds that she'll use this loss to her advantage.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They will finish November 'strong,' I believe that. This is their schedule through December. Other than VPI it's cupcakes all the way down. Probably end up12-2. As for beating VPI, I doubt it. It's not impossible. But if they do win that game it will say more about VPI than it does about them. The real question for me is if UVa can upset them.
I had to look up McNeese to see if it’s Division I (it is, in the Southland Conference). I’ve got to give them major props for scheduling Baylor, K State, and LSU this season, all on the road. I think I’ll have to root for these guys - they have chutzpah

CCE427A5-5785-4D1C-9C3F-B01196287998.jpeg

Reaction Score

View attachment 92834
Ouch! Talking about jumping out of the frying pan into the fryer! Eww that’s a gauntlet of a schedule. SOS should be a -1 at the end of the regular season. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I had to look up McNeese to see if it’s Division I (it is, in the Southland Conference). I’ve got to give them major props for scheduling Baylor, K State, and LSU this season, all on the road. I think I’ll have to root for these guys - they have chutzpah

View attachment 92836

Idk if it’s chutzpah… they are probably getting paid for those games

Reaction Score
Probably. This is a wake up call for the kids to accept their roles and embrace team play. Mulkey is one of the best coaches in the game. I like the odds that she'll use this loss to her advantage.
Yeah, this right here. Mulkey knows the game. I am a bit surprised this happened though, but like I said before, I knew it was a possibility well before the season started.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

View attachment 92834
We call this "scheduling for success"!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
1. Time will tell, but this loss may be the best thing to happen to LSU all season. It's an immediate--and very public--reminder that they are going to need to work perhaps even harder than last season to repeat as champions. Good to know that in early November as opposed to January.

2. This reminded me a little bit of the Liberty's opening game of the WNBA season against the Mystics. You had DC, which like Colorado, had played together for many years and were excited to take it to the so-called "Super team." Then you had NYL, which like LSU, was trying to incorporate a bunch of new pieces with players who hadn't spent much time on the court together.

Mulkey is an excellent coach (the comparisons of her to Calipari are way off base to me), so I expect they will improve and right the ship. But it's obvious this year won't be a cakewalk.

Reaction Score
Mulkey is an excellent coach (the comparisons of her to Calipari are way off base to me), so I expect they will improve and right the ship. But it's obvious this year won't be a cakewalk.
I really don't know how anyone can question her as a coach. I admit she wasn't my favorite for a long, long time due to her personality but I feel she has softened a little over the years in many ways and has proven she can win the big one. You don't have to like her but she is to be respected as a fantastic coach.

Reaction Score

View attachment 92834
There it is. I've been looking all over the place for my vacation itinerary.

Reaction Score
I just looked at the next game on L$Us schedule. Queens (Charlotte) are next up. My Royals :(. L$U might put up 150.
I had to look at LSU's schedule last night and, yeah. I feel bad for your Royals. LSU about to hand out a beat down.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game but the Box Score shows Morrow playing Guard. She's better off playing forward to take advantage of her Rebounding skills. She only had 4 rebounds for this game.

Reaction Score

View attachment 92834
I’d sure love for UVA to beat LSU, or at least give them a battle. But I don’t expect it. While we’ll be playing with some good recruits/transfers, we’ll be without Brunelle and Mir McLean till December or January.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Could Mulkey be like Calipari?

Some now doubt the men’s Kentucky coach’s ability because he keeps getting the best talent yet fails to deliver. Yet Calipari proved he was an excellent coach (sleazy but excellent) at UMass, Memphis and his early years at Kentucky. I think Calipari’s problem has been that since he can win almost all the recruiting battles he does so indiscriminately. He now wins one and done recruits that lack chemistry rather than win championships.

I always thought adding Morrow was more a bane for LSU than a boon. Van Lith as well, though that one made a tiny bit more sense to me. NIL and the transfer portal has the potential of creating men’s type rosters, with many elites built on immediate talent rather than developed chemistry. In such an atmosphere an accomplished coach like Mulkey may be primed to be the women’s Calipari (though much less sleazy, don’t get me wrong there).
This is a pretty grand comparison based off of one game so far. Coach Calipari has effectively turned Kentucky into an NBA 1 and done factory and they're seldom considered a title threat anymore. He's even openly stated that his goal is to get players to the NBA, not win titles.

Kim was forced to rely on the portal to revamp her team and won a title in year two at a new school. She's won 4 championships in her career and turned Baylor into a powerhouse, and is now doing the same at LSU. People harp on her using the portal so heavily, but what other option did she have to turn LSU into a title contender so quickly? She's recruited extremely well out of the HS ranks the last few years and has LSU primed to be a title threat for years to come.

Reaction Score
Time will tell, but this loss may be the best thing to happen to LSU all season. It's an immediate--and very public--reminder that they are going to need to work perhaps even harder than last season to repeat as champions. Good to know that in early November as opposed to January.
I agree. I'd been wondering why Kim scheduled this game so early. But it might well have been to give her players an ego-tuneup. Now they can become the team their collective yet isolated talents suggested to pundits everywhere.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This is a pretty grand comparison based off of one game so far. Coach Calipari has effectively turned Kentucky into an NBA 1 and done factory and they're seldom considered a title threat anymore. He's even openly stated that his goal is to get players to the NBA, not win titles.

Kim was forced to rely on the portal to revamp her team and won a title in year two at a new school. She's won 4 championships in her career and turned Baylor into a powerhouse, and is now doing the same at LSU. People harp on her using the portal so heavily, but what other option did she have to turn LSU into a title contender so quickly? She's recruited extremely well out of the HS ranks the last few years and has LSU primed to be a title threat for years to come.
1. I have claimed a few times that Mulkey is the 2nd best coach, based on how she has won titles with totally different squads. My conjecture was not a knock on her coaching ability.

2. Despite what Calipari claims, if his goal is not also to win championships he would be gone from Kentucky before now. And he did win a championship soon after he got there, then almost had the first perfect season in 30 years. But if Kentucky does not start performing better soon in the tournament he will be gone. I am surprised you accept that excuse he makes for his results at face value.

3. Mulkey has now won soon after switching to LSU, just as Calipari did switching to Kentucky. She won in recruiting for elite transfers that made sense her first year, then won in recruiting for elite transfers that do not make as much sense in the second year. Indiscriminate recruiting for elites is also like Calipari. Calipari would go after a player like Morrow, which does not fit well with Reese and interferes with developing Rosario. Maybe you think Morrow will fit in well, point taken, let’s just see if she does.

4. A “grand” comparison suggests my tone was declarative. The tone was clearly speculative so may I suggest to you that “premature” is a better critique for you to make. It’s premature because it is speculating based on only two years of recruiting at Mulkey’s new school, though recent reports of how hard she is trying to get both Edwards and Strong with NIL offers suggests the possibility of a third year of this pattern. Going for both similar players, 1 and 2 in their class, definitely emulates Calipari, whether by intention or not. But it’s still only three years and my speculation of the pattern could prove premature. Again, we will see.

5. Frankly, I expect at least one more title for Mulkey whether or not this pattern holds, just as Calipari was successful for awhile. They are both great coaches. However, I don’t think indiscriminate recruiting of elites for the present produces as well as selective and developmental recruiting. Once again, we will see.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had to look at LSU's schedule last night and, yeah. I feel bad for your Royals. LSU about to hand out a beat down.

This is their second year in Division 1, they went 8-21 last season. They played at Ole Mi$$ to start the season, so they know what its like to face a $EC power. My Royals actually led 5-2 early in the game. It got out of hand after the first quarter though

Reaction Score
I’d sure love for UVA to beat LSU, or at least give them a battle. But I don’t expect it. While we’ll be playing with some good recruits/transfers, we’ll be without Brunelle and Mir McLean till December or January.
Brunelle injured again? I don’t think she has been consistently healthy since her freshman year. Muffett played her hard that year, wonder if that has contributed to her injuries.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Brunelle injured again? I don’t think she has been consistently healthy since her freshman year. Muffett played her hard that year, wonder if that has contributed to her injuries.
Can you define "hard?' As in a lot of minutes? If so, she did play more than 33 minutes per game her freshman season. ND was besieged by injuries that year and Sam played all forward positions. After Muffet retired and Coach Ivey took over, Sam came off the bench and played 10 minutes less per game, or some 23 per outing. At no point was she injured those two years.

The injuries came her junior year. Sam’s momentum was halted with a shoulder sprain injury in which she was forced to exit a Louisville game in early February. She wore s a shoulder brace/sling for the remainder of the season.

The lower body injuries have, unfortunately, taken place since she transferred back home to Charlottesville. Hope she can get over them because she's out of eligibility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. I'd been wondering why Kim scheduled this game so early. But it might well have been to give her players an ego-tuneup. Now they can become the team their collective yet isolated talents suggested to pundits everywhere.
Not sure why any one would expect a defending national champion not to schedule aggressively.

Reaction Score
Mulkey is a great coach, if not particularly likeable. Arguably #3 behind Geno and Pat all time.

The SC-LSU rivalry should be intense.

I think Vic joining the party with a promising Texas squad might be pretty fun too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom