Colorado in Big XII | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Colorado in Big XII

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Last thing we need the B1G swooping in causing more chaos. I just hope we find a home before they starting to make their moves.

Wrong. We absolutely need the Big 10 swooping in and adding Oregon, Washington, California and Stanford.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The all-time series is 51-39 Cincinnati but ok. Lots of people have short memories I guess.
If by short you mean, since we’ve been alive, ok. Games from the 1950s aren’t really critical now. Cinci deserves props for really improving football. But they burned basketball to the ground when the Leprechaun left. Big XII might give them a chance to fix that, but it’s going to be ugly first. Might be the worst team in the conference.

Reaction Score
Only way UConn goes to Big 12 is if the university presidents agree to a basketball-only deal. Yormack wants this for his little basketball TNT-deal daydream scenario.

No one will accept us and share money as a full member, they’d rather take Arizona, Utah, Memphis, or Oregon.
Tongue Out GIF by MOODMAN

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the PAC 12 invites San Diego State to replace Colorado, then I think UConn goes to the Big 12.

I don't think Yormark wants to kill the PAC 12 even though he just killed the PAC 12.

I believe UConn gets the call soon.

He'd happily kill the P12. He's literally tried to do it since he got the job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only way UConn goes to Big 12 is if the university presidents agree to a basketball-only deal. Yormack wants this for his little basketball TNT-deal daydream scenario.

No one will accept us and share money as a full member, they’d rather take Arizona, Utah, Memphis, or Oregon.
Exactly, well except that Yormark said that FBS playing schools would only be considered for full membership. But, I'm sure you know better than he does.

Reaction Score
"If the rest of the Pac-12 holds together and doesn’t follow Colorado, Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark would like to target Big East basketball member and football independent Connecticut. There is belief within the conference that Yormark is far more enamored with the Huskies than other members. “There is some work to do on studying UConn,” a Big 12 source cautions.

"But Yormark might have gained further credibility and trust by delivering Colorado. That could empower his pitch to pursue UConn, a basketball gold mine in the northeast but a football underachiever over the last decade."

Reaction Score

The media partner(s) determines the value of the addition. The conference can choose to pass on the full share. Word on the street is we get a full share. Anything north of we get now, is acceptable, but I expect UConn will negotiate pro-rata.

Reaction Score
He'd happily kill the P12. He's literally tried to do it since he got the job.

The Big 12 and the PAC 12 were in the same boat. Both with major conference defections, both needing to negotiate media deals.

Yormark was proactive and went after the best remaining teams in the AAC.

Yormark saved his confidence Klaibkoff has no business being a commissioner. He just got his lunch eaten by the Big 12 simply by not understanding the shifting conference landscape. I don't think Yormark's intention was to destroy the PAC as much as it was to save the Big 12.

That's a way different narrative

One guy was proactive the other dragged his feet. You snooze you lose. It wasn't personal just business

Reaction Score
The Big 12 and the PAC 12 were in the same boat. Both with major conference defections, both needing to negotiate media deals.

Yormark was proactive and went after the best remaining teams in the AAC.

Yormark saved his confidence Klaibkoff has no business being a commissioner. He just got his lunch eaten by the Big 12 simply by not understanding the shifting conference landscape. I don't think Yormark's intention was to destroy the PAC as much as it was to save the Big 12.

That's a way different narrative

One guy was proactive the other dragged his feet. You snooze you lose. It wasn't personal just business

In 2021 when the Big 12 lost Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC the Big 12 was done. The PAC 12 could have expanded by taking the best of what was left of the Big 12 and would have been the third best conference and would have been able to secure a big TV contract.

The PAC 12 did it to themselves

Reaction Score
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article277695468.html

According to sources, the Big 12 and commissioner Brett Yormark is now targeting the University of Arizona, which would likely mean an invitation to Arizona State University. The University of Connecticut is another school that has been attached to Big 12 expansion talks, but with the Pac-12 losing members the Big 12’s focus is targeting those universities first.

We're being dangled as bait and it's so obvious. Yormark is telling these schools that if they don't bite, their invite is going to UConn. In reality, they never had any intention of inviting us

Reaction Score
No one’s a bigger fan of Yormark than me but he had nothing to do with absorbing the three AAC teams and BYU. That was a Bob Bowlsby‘s strategy. Yormark has been the ultimate outside the box thinker (and doer) and he’s garnered tremendous respect and credibility with his conference members for brilliantly recognizing the earlier he made a media deal the better.
If he wasn’t commissioner, UConn would not have been mentioned as a possible candidate. It’s now all about him convincing his membership on the future value of UConn football, the current preeminence of Husky BBall, and the importance of having a Northeast (NYC) presence. It’s hard to imagine them not giving Yormark his vision. If he pushes for UConn we get in. If he demurs, waiting for other Pac12 defections, it’s more problematic. I’m betting on Yormark pushing for us.

Reaction Score
The media partner(s) determines the value of the addition. The conference can choose to pass on the full share. Word on the street is we get a full share. Anything north of we get now, is acceptable, but I expect UConn will negotiate pro-rata.
It's a myth that even P5 teams have a full share guaranteed. That's only ESPNs portion. Fox did not sign on to that part of the deal. Anyone who says we or any P5 team automatically get a full share doesn't know what they are talking about.

Reaction Score
Short memories!! Cinci haven’t played in a meaningful basketball game since 1992.
By this metric Xavier has never played a meaningful basketball game.

Reaction Score
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article277695468.html

According to sources, the Big 12 and commissioner Brett Yormark is now targeting the University of Arizona, which would likely mean an invitation to Arizona State University. The University of Connecticut is another school that has been attached to Big 12 expansion talks, but with the Pac-12 losing members the Big 12’s focus is targeting those universities first.

We're being dangled as bait and it's so obvious. Yormark is telling these schools that if they don't bite, their invite is going to UConn. In reality, they never had any intention of inviting us
As UConn fans, our hope is either of the following scenarios happen:

1. Colorado leaving. The rest of PAC-12 stayed together and either invite SDSU alone or add SDSU, SMU, and Fresno/UNLV.

2. Colorado, Arizona, and ASU leaving while the rest of the PAC-12 stayed together and added the schools in option 1. The pool might expand to include Colorado State, Hawaii, and Boise State.

I hope option 1 happens since it will give UConn the best chance to get into the B12. If option 2 is what happens next, we might be ok since we will be #16.

With option 2, we might also be screwed since every PAC-12 team might be looking for a home including Oregon and Washington. Our only hope is Brett Yormark can sell the vision that we are needed to have the B12 in the EST time zone.

We should all hope scenario 1 is the reality not option 2.

We might be witnessing the death of the PAC-12 like the old Big East. It is a sad day for the PAC schools and college sports, but it's a reality in today's NIL greedy $$$$$$ world.

Reaction Score

I agree with this. We are bait. And the best alternative to a negotiated agreement with their top targets.

Even if we are 1 part of a 4 school plan to add to the Big 12, someone else will walk into the room at the last minute, she will drop her gown and say “why have this, when you could have me instead”.

And it will be done.

The best thing UConn can do is play it cool and not appear like it is working hard to make something happen. Because there is such a small chance that things will go our way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In 2021 when the Big 12 lost Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC the Big 12 was done. The PAC 12 could have expanded by taking the best of what was left of the Big 12 and would have been the third best conference and would have been able to secure a big TV contract.

It's mostly on Pac12 arrogance. Cal, Stanford, Washington not wanting to associate with Big XII schools they perceive as inferior. They probably never saw the B1G moving to southern California. The Pac was always viewed as immune from being raided. Lessons are being learned about the new reality.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with this. We are bait. And the best alternative to a negotiated agreement with their top targets.

Even if we are 1 part of a 4 school plan to add to the Big 12, someone else will walk into the room at the last minute, she will drop her gown and say “why have this, when you could have me instead”.

And it will be done.

The best thing UConn can do is play it cool and not appear like it is working hard to make something happen. Because there is such a small chance that things will go our way.
Where do you stand on this anyway? It occurs to me that you have as much to gain from this as anybody here, if UConn can actually make the move. So I get the extreme caution and assumption that we'd be left at the altar again. But presumably you'd want UConn in the Big XII right?

Reaction Score

And it will be done.

Well that's the thing, right. CU, Arizona, and ASU seem like the most likely option. And then Yormark goes to Oregon and Washington and says there's 1 more spot left and UConn is about to take it.

Reaction Score
Well that's the thing, right. CU, Arizona, and ASU seem like the most likely option. And then Yormark goes to Oregon and Washington and says there's 1 more spot left and UConn is about to take it.
I'm sure Oregon and Washington are expecting an eventual B1G invitation. They only want the PAC to stay together long enough for them to bolt. So there is a decent chance that they try and use this to get into the B1G earlier.

Reaction Score
Wanted to include this in the key tweets thread because we are Red. Maybe it's Conference Rehabilitation. Will UConn finally be Approved?

Reaction Score
It's mostly on Pac12 arrogance. Cal, Stanford, Washington not wanting to associate with Big XII schools they perceive as inferior. They probably never saw the B1G moving to southern California. The Pac was always viewed as immune from being raided. Lessons are being learned about the new reality.
I called USC to the B1G years ago. The Trojans were bitching about the PAC media money for years, and they and UCLA started this domino.

I hope it's just Colorado with rest of the PAC staying together with duck tapes. We will be #14 if this is true.

You are right about the arrogance of schools like Stanford, Washington, and Cal. This is also why they never looked at schools like BYU, Boise, and Fresno etc. Due to their lack of urgency to expand, they will kill the PAC. Schools like Oregon State and Washington State are screwed.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't see Oregon or Washington going to the Big 12 for the reason many here have said. They are waiting for the B1G and don't want to be with the Big 12 schools. TBH, everyone is acting like losing Colorado is the death knell to the PAC. Why? What have they brought to the conference?? I know this could be a sign of other teams leaving but the commish for the PAC can easily just say to the rest of the schools that it's fine and we will bring in SDSU, a school with more athletic success. So you trade the Denver market for the San Diego/southern CA market.

I guess that there could be another way to look at this from the PAC side. Losing Colorado and replacing them with SDSU isn't a bad thing. If he can convince the rest of the schools that the mysterious TV deal can stay as strong, I think the rest of the schools might stand pat....that helps us.

Reaction Score
This all reminds me of the board room scene from the movie Margin Call.

Reaction Score

The PAC's problem is that per capita there aren't a number of good schools out there with fanbases, and they have Stanford & Cal who care a lot about the academics. Basically not a lot of schools worth adding, and the schools worth adding came with issues that Stanford & Cal couldn't swallow. Those schools have exceptional ADs top to bottom (Director's Cup), but that's only appealing maybe to the B1G—and it tanked the conference. If the Pac took Tech and OSU a decade ago, B12 is long dead and PAC is in great shape, but those schools couldn't stomach that.

Now there really aren't many worthwhile markets and the schools left don't have enough pull to poach. SDSU isn't saving the PAC. It's essentially DOA as the B1G is going to take Oregon and Washington—and probably give Cal and Stanford a lifeline. The remaining schools will find a way into the B12—or Mountain West. It's over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom