College Football 2020: Buzz about spring football season- “Expect news to break soon” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

College Football 2020: Buzz about spring football season- “Expect news to break soon”

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Lot of waffle room in that statement in a journalism class...
Yup we’ll see what happens but there’s a ton of room to back out. I think it means CFB to spring and the rest of fall sports cancelled

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Boise State coaches will be required to take furloughs as the university deals with funding shortfalls due to the coronavirus pandemic.

University President Marlene Tromp emailed faculty and staff about the furloughs on Monday, saying events that have been canceled stretching into summer have contributed to nearly $10 million in losses. A university spokesman confirmed Monday night that coaches are included in the furloughs.

Per the school’s announcement, all employees who are paid more than $40,000 a year are required to take furloughs.

Reaction Score
Yes.
The networks have a different view than you.

They are paying for the content and they do not want to devalue any of it. Plus, there are rumblings that cable sports networks, especially the regional sports networks and the conference networks, may have to offer a refund on your cable bill as they are getting top dollar for no content. Don't think that can't happen as I just got a rebate on my auto insurance due to everyone driving less.

From a financial standpoint, if college football can't be played in the Fall, it is more favorable for the networks to not have college football played in the Spring and not pay the conferences. Remember, ESPN gets paid the same price per customer next April if they play college football or not. I don't think that college conferences can decide to move football to the Spring and then demand that the networks pay them full contract value.

Reaction Score

They are paying for the content and they do not want to devalue any of it. Plus, there are rumblings that cable sports networks, especially the regional sports networks and the conference networks, may have to offer a refund on your cable bill as they are getting top dollar for no content. Don't think that can't happen as I just got a rebate on my auto insurance due to everyone driving less.

From a financial standpoint, if college football can't be played in the Fall, it is more favorable for the networks to not have college football played in the Spring and not pay the conferences. Remember, ESPN gets paid the same price per customer next April if they play college football or not. I don't think that college conferences can decide to move football to the Spring and then demand that the networks pay them full contract value.

Yes, I’m sure NBC would rather broadcast the. NHL in March than Notre Dame.

Reaction Score

also did you consider ad revenue?

ESPN can sell ads for a much higher price for LSU-Ole Miss than for an early season Tigers-Rangers game

Reaction Score
As an independent now in football, it is a harder decision for UConn to skip a season than having a conference to decide for all conference members.

Reaction Score
also did you consider ad revenue?

ESPN can sell ads for a much higher price for LSU-Ole Miss than for an early season Tigers-Rangers game
You are missing the point. Let's use ESPN for example. They are already paying for Spring content and they are already guaranteed subscription revenues from the cable companies. The only revenue variable is advertising, maybe 1/3 of revenues. If they broadcast college football in the Spring AND pay for the content, they will lose a lot of money as their subscription revenues will not go up and they will be paying for their existing Spring content AND college football content. So for the Spring, ESPN would go from being very profitable to probably losing money as they double their content costs without an increase in revenues.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Remember - anything more than zero is a gain. ESPN et al will most likely cut their payout for spring college football, but they wont cut it to zero and even if they did, many programs might believe running the program with 1/2 filled stadiums is still a net gain. These universities wont be cutting these scholarships in 2020- the costs are largely fixed at least through spring 2021. Yes, they can nibble their budgets by furloughing staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love it if the alternative is no season. Hopefully a March start and not a February start. March, April, May regular season with bowl games in June makes sense. February games at the Rent would be some tough tailgating.
(QUOTE)
February games at The Dog House would break all time low attendance records without a doubt. You refer to tailgating so I assume you would be there along with my group, the parents of players, and maybe four or five small groups of hunters and ice fishermen geared for the climate. Possibly a couple of drunk students until game time. ;)

The main issue is that the networks already have Spring content, so any college football coverage would have to be significantly reduced as you don't have the slots. Are you going to move MLB, NBA, NHL, Masters golf,... content for college football games? And, the value of all sports content for the Spring would probably be reduced if you crowd in more content and the US will be coming out of recession with less advertising and discretionary spending, so the networks will be negatively impacted.
(QUOTE)
If nothing else this would give a whole new meaning / definition to the term "MARCH MADNESS". :D

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Reality is every single FBS institution has to be back on campus this fall for a college football season to start. In places like NY, NJ, CA, LA. etc that possibility is looking more and more remote.
I actually think it will be the Southern states that will have more problems than the states listed above. There seems to be a lower level of response from them and seeing how college football is more engrained into their society then it is up North, I think that's going to be a big factor in the Fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA possibly plan on playing a shortened season only to have to cancel that over the summer or closer to fall when a spike in cases start to happen in the areas that hadn't seen larger cases in this first wave and didn't enact larger shelter in place orders due to it.

The problem with everything related to this virus is we all have no clue what it will look like tomorrow let alone a few months from now.

Reaction Score
I actually think it will be the Southern states that will have more problems than the states listed above. There seems to be a lower level of response from them and seeing how college football is more engrained into their society then it is up North, I think that's going to be a big factor in the Fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA possibly plan on playing a shortened season only to have to cancel that over the summer or closer to fall when a spike in cases start to happen in the areas that hadn't seen larger cases in this first wave and didn't enact larger shelter in place orders due to it.

The problem with everything related to this virus is we all have no clue what it will look like tomorrow let alone a few months from now.
Speaking from someone that lives in SC, I completely agree with everything you said. The amount of people out and about going about life is alarming. Most people are out of work right now and when those stimulus checks hit here, people were lined up to spend them. So, basically, we took a state of about 3.5 million, put half of them on vacation, and gave them a little spending money. Oh, and as of yesterday, opened up department stores, beaches, and parks.

Reaction Score
I hope that the south doesn't go the way of New York, Massachusetts, and New Jersey....

It does concern me that we have folks who want to continue life as if nothing has happened to change that...

And now protesters in California, Washington State, Wisconsin, Colorado, and Florida want restrictions lifted.

Reaction Score
Here in western NC, the town is quiet, stores closed...cars only at the grocery and pharmacy and they are few.

We sit in spendid isolation on our ridgetops. Not too different than 70 years back.

Goodnight Johnboy.

Reaction Score
Here in western NC, the town is quiet, stores closed...cars only at the grocery and pharmacy and they are few.

We sit in spendid isolation on our ridgetops. Not too different than 70 years back.

Goodnight Johnboy.

where is western NC are you?

Reaction Score
Playing a season in the spring makes no sense to me. What happens at the conclusion of the season? You head straight into summer conditioning/practices and then into a fall season with pretty much no break?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom