Cochran injured | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cochran injured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have to consider that Nebrich was also a freshman, who has to learn a college playbook, and a new coach/system. Not easy for a fresh. Mac attack was the best option, this year hopefully Whitmer is. The backup will be in my eyes Nebrich, it's his time to take it.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Looks like Uconn Dan 97 is very busy lmfao! I feel Cochran is a few snaps away from been a starter not a huge loss

Reaction Score
So you are telling me that JMac's rating is 113, and that there are other QB's in the conference with ratings like 117, 118, 123, and 124....and I'm wrong??? My comment was that if the protection was slightly better and if the dropsies weren't as bad, he would have been considered average. How am I wrong again??

By the way, he was very slow with the decisions and getting out of the pocket, but McCummings and Nebrich were no faster getting out of the pocket either (when it wasn't a designed run play). The play that stands out in my mind was the play where McCummings held the ball for about 6 seconds and didn't move, and finally he was crunched from behind and fumbled the ball. We recovered it, thankfully, and went on to score the touchdown and win the game (I want to say that it was the Syracuse game). So again, how am I wrong??

What you said exactly was that I responed to was:
"With a little better protection and a few of the many dropped balls back that McEntee threw last year, and he was an average Big East quarterback."

My response was/is:
1. As calculated he was by far the worst QB in the league in just the QB ratings version of being a QB.
2. He caused many of the sacks. Protection could not be better with him as QB, he was as immobile as a tree stump, took forever to decide to pass, and ducked and chucked many times under pressure. So I'm saying part of JMac of 2011 was he was a sack magnet. Only way to imagine that away is to imagine another QB in there.
3. He was by far the worst runner among QB's. He made Clausen look like Cam.
4. He was 100th and something overall in FBS QB ratings, hard to "imagine" how a little of anything would get him to average, even in the BE. I tried to check JMac's standing amongst all QB's but in what I saw it only went to 100, so HE WASN'T EVEN LISTED". Every other BE team had a QB listed in the top 100.
5. If you give JMac some better catches, how about give the Louisville QB a bump for all the Chichester drops and Cin QB a bump for the DJ Woods drops. My comment was, not a lot of Crabtrees in the BE, lot of players dropping a lot of balls.

Didn't realize I said anything about McCummings or Nebrich. JMac and his average BE QB status was enough for me to grapple with. But I guess you didn't say how many less sacks or how many less drops so how can I really say you aren't right. With a few less sacks and a few less drops than you imagined, maybe he's up there with Griffin and Luck waiting for his name to be called last year.

Funny thing about drops, my recollection was he was helped more by other teams dropping sure interceptions than by Uconn guys dropping his passes.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
What you said exactly was that I responed to was:
"With a little better protection and a few of the many dropped balls back that McEntee threw last year, and he was an average Big East quarterback."

My response was/is:
1. As calculated he was by far the worst QB in the league in just the QB ratings version of being a QB.

And again, I will use your words that I responded to (why must I respond to them again?....because you're you):

"The Uconn QB Passing efficiency was 113.2 and the other teams in the league were 151.2, 134, 131.2, 124.4, 122.6, 118.2, 117.2;"

So if your numbers are accurate, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt by not looking them up, you are telling me that he was 9 points off of the fourth rated QB in the Big East (124) "as-is". That's what you're telling me, right? So if you are correct in those numbers, and again I will just assume that you are, then tell me how he was "by far the worst QB in the league"?? I can't wait to hear the answer.....since your numbers were right, of course....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Keep in mind, everyone, that my statement was that he wasn't far from being an "average" QB. By definition, that means that he performed "below average". I can do this type of math because I hold a degree from the University of Connecticut. I'm just shocked that others cannot do it. :eek:

pj

Reaction Score
So you both agree that he was (a) the worst QB in the Big East, but (b) only 11 points / 9% lower in QB rating than the median Big East QB.

But you disagree over whether "by far" or "not far" is the most appropriate epithet.

Perhaps we need a lawyer to parse the meaning of these terms. BL?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So you both agree that he was (a) the worst QB in the Big East, but (b) only 11 points / 9% lower in QB rating than the median Big East QB.

But you disagree over whether "by far" or "not far" is the most appropriate epithet.

Perhaps we need a lawyer to parse the meaning of these terms. BL?

Good summary! I make a comment that someone is less than average, then someone else says, "Are you crazy???" Well, yes, but what does that have to do with anything? :confused:

Reaction Score
I have said this before. Last year was the first year in some time that we at least attempted to have a vertical passing attack. Granted it was not pretty but a step in the right direction. PP saw the light and bolstered both the QB and WR competition with Shortell, Phillips, McNeal and Smith is back. The QB competition will, hopefully, raise the level a notch.

As far as JM was concerned. I thought that he had and average year throwing and accuracy, but he never showed the pocket presence or mobility required in a D1 program. Can he get better sure.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was mismanaged period. Putting him in during the first quarter of the Fordham High School game last August automatically burned his red shirt opportunity for that season. Now if it was because of so much uncertainty at the QB position then it's understandible. The problem was that once the RS was burnt, UConn hardly ever use him again. Made no sense, since the QB position was abominable last season. Nebrich and McCummings should have relieved McEntee on more than a few occasion - either due to JM's woeful performance or blowout conditions. Either way, it was a missed opportunity to give him experience and find out - once and for all - if the kid could play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom