Cobb Suspended | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Cobb Suspended

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed that the team is playing much better without Cobb? Is this a coincidence or was he messing up the entire flow of the game and KO'S game plan with his selfish play? I say KO keeps him on the bench 95% of the time if he ever comes back. We are clearly doing just fine without him.

I think it's just the reduction in numbers. The rotation is sorting itself out. Players have a better feel for how and when they will he used.

And I don't think he makes it back in to rotation this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think it's just the reduction in numbers. The rotation is sorting itself out. Players have a better feel for how and when they will he used.

And I don't think he makes it back in to rotation this year.

And all the guys up front are young kids, who are getting better the more experience they get under their belt. Whaley looking good, Carlton showing up, Mamadou.

Imagine in those first couple of games putting Whaley and Carlton in at the same time. Would be ugly. Now, it's a nice lineup with Larrier at the 3.

Reaction Score
Cobb has talent, athleticism, and a big body. I hope he comes back with his head on right, mentally focused, and accepts how KO weaves him into the rotation. He also has to accept how KO is trying to utilize certain disciplined aspects of his game, and stick to it, and excel at it. He has to tighten up his game, as well as his mental focus, to reduce his turnovers. I think he could play with more effort on both offense and defense, and if he did all of these things he would get good minutes. I think KO and his staff see all this, and it is up to Eric to respond to it, to come around, to be humble yet strong, and continue his journey as both a team player and an individual in pursuit of his goals. Eric's game needs discipline, effort, and focus. He could be one helluva player.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Cut the crap out. I went to med school at SUNY. Its one of the best bargains out there. SUNY is a driving engine for the local economy. If there r no SUNIES n its affordable education. Upstate NY will look a lot like rural Pennsylvania
And whats wrong with rural Pennsylvania?

Reaction Score
Cut the crap out. I went to med school at SUNY. Its one of the best bargains out there. SUNY is a driving engine for the local economy. If there r no SUNIES n its affordable education. Upstate NY will look a lot like rural Pennsylvania
Which one? Look, a few of the SUNYs are "OK" but they aren't great schools. The state screwed up that system like they do everything else. NY should have a top notch land grant university. We should have something at the level of Penn State or Ohio State or Michigan or, hell, even UConn. BTW, PSU is way better than any SUNY so I wouldn't be so quick to knock Pennsylvania. I actually considered moving across the border to get in state tuition for my kids at PSU. I still may do that. The SUNYs are not top notch. They are "good enough" for those people looking for an affordable, decent, education. I would advise my kid to go there if it were between a good SUNY and an overpriced private school that is barely better, if at all. (Syracuse, for example) I mean. yes, it is a good value. But it is not a great education. My son is applying to a couple of SUNYs as safety schools due to the value aspect alone. The one thing it allows is to not already be in debt going into Med school.

Reaction Score
Which one? Look, a few of the SUNYs are "OK" but they aren't great schools. The state screwed up that system like they do everything else. NY should have a top notch land grant university. We should have something at the level of Penn State or Ohio State or Michigan or, hell, even UConn. BTW, PSU is way better than any SUNY so I wouldn't be so quick to knock Pennsylvania. I actually considered moving across the border to get in state tuition for my kids at PSU. I still may do that. The SUNYs are not top notch. They are "good enough" for those people looking for an affordable, decent, education. I would advise my kid to go there if it were between a good SUNY and an overpriced private school that is barely better, if at all. (Syracuse, for example) I mean. yes, it is a good value. But it is not a great education. My son is applying to a couple of SUNYs as safety schools due to the value aspect alone. The one thing it allows is to not already be in debt going into Med school.
Look I am not doing to bash Rural Penn too much. There is an old saying that Penn is Philly and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between. One of the reasons for the Alabama in Penn is Penn St at state college. State college is sucking all the PSU system money dry. The other rural state college r jokes. The best n brightest in penn go to state college n abandon their home regions. SUNY has 4 meds schools disperse into different areas. Albany, Buffalo and Syracuse r all research universities with significant private investment n research money. The avg SAT scores n acceptance rate for the 4 main SUNY r actually higher then state college. Upstate NY has multiple charming regions that is locate nears the universities. The trade off for the dispersal in SUNY money is no B10 football team. There is not much Alabama in NY state either

Reaction Score

There are approximately 60+ AAU schools in North America. SUNY has AAU schools. Don't be a slave to US News.

Reaction Score
Look I am not doing to bash Rural Penn too much. There is an old saying that Penn is Philly and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between. One of the reasons for the Alabama in Penn is Penn St at state college. State college is sucking all the PSU system money dry. The other rural state college r jokes. The best n brightest in penn go to state college n abandon their home regions. SUNY has 4 meds schools disperse into different areas. Albany, Buffalo and Syracuse r all research universities with significant private investment n research money. The avg SAT scores n acceptance rate for the 4 main SUNY r actually higher then state college. Upstate NY has multiple charming regions that is locate nears the universities. The trade off for the dispersal in SUNY money is no B10 football team. There is not much Alabama in NY state either

PSU's state subsidy is less than 5% so it's hard to say they are sucking the state university system dry. In my experience, it's usually the reverse. You have state politicians who insist that their satellite receive the same support as the big research 1 universities, even though the costs to maintain an R1 are far greater, and the research budget at the R1 actually counts against it as that money is included in the cost-per-student. And this largely explains why in many disciplines undergraduate education suffers at a big state U.

Reaction Score
PSU's state subsidy is less than 5% so it's hard to say they are sucking the state university system dry. In my experience, it's usually the reverse. You have state politicians who insist that their satellite receive the same support as the big research 1 universities, even though the costs to maintain an R1 are far greater, and the research budget at the R1 actually counts against it as that money is included in the cost-per-student. And this largely explains why in many disciplines undergraduate education suffers at a big state U.
Jesus, I actually agree with you on this! I am afraid......

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

PSU is a cult. And it's not just JoePA legacy. The whole "Thon" thing is disturbing. And PSU alums are far more evil and miserable people than Pitt grads.

But the PSU dairy bar is the bomb. It's the only thing between Philly and Pittsburgh worth saving.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am well aware of Pennsyltucky. It is true. Still, Penn State is a really good school. A little big and a little too rah rah but a good school. I am surprised you didn't mention Stonybrook.

Reaction Score
PSU is a cult. And it's not just JoePA legacy. The whole "Thon" thing is disturbing. And PSU alums are far more evil and miserable people than Pitt grads.

But the PSU dairy bar is the bomb. It's the only thing between Philly and Pittsburgh worth saving.
Yeah, we visited there with my oldest son and it was kinda scary. I felt like someone could jump out of the bushes at any time screaming, "we are penn state!"

Reaction Score
There are approximately 60+ AAU schools in North America. SUNY has AAU schools. Don't be a slave to US News.
Both USN and AAU are a single factor. There is a lot of data out there and there are "feel" factors as well. You should see the spreadsheet we have. Both Stonybrook and Buffalo have some negatives. They each also have some positives, the biggest being in state tuition. For us, the biggest factor is pre-med reputation and their ability to get students into US MD schools. Neither pop up as suggested for pre-med (not many schools do, however) and data on acceptance rates is hard to come by. I actually wish I had harder numbers for Buffalo as the one source I have is shaky. We know many of the doctors in our area and my son has shadowed most of them. A grand total of one of them suggested Buffalo. It would be nice to have hard data to compensate for the lack of glowing recommendations for the SUNYs.

Reaction Score
Both USN and AAU are a single factor. There is a lot of data out there and there are "feel" factors as well. You should see the spreadsheet we have. Both Stonybrook and Buffalo have some negatives. They each also have some positives, the biggest being in state tuition. For us, the biggest factor is pre-med reputation and their ability to get students into US MD schools. Neither pop up as suggested for pre-med (not many schools do, however) and data on acceptance rates is hard to come by. I actually wish I had harder numbers for Buffalo as the one source I have is shaky. We know many of the doctors in our area and my son has shadowed most of them. A grand total of one of them suggested Buffalo. It would be nice to have hard data to compensate for the lack of glowing recommendations for the SUNYs.

Carnegie and the AAU don't share their numbers? They come through every few years with a fine-toothed comb. 3 analysts per department stick around for a couple of weeks.

SUNY is like UConn in that it is NOT one of the most well funded systems out there, and that is saying a lot given the $8k tuition (which is actually $10k when you count fees). It is not like the great B1G schools, of course, but I think its lower USN ranking has more to do with so many NY students heading to private school. That doesn't happen in the midwest. Also, Buffalo is just now building out its medical school. Its law school suffered a bit when it experienced a huge cut from the state at the same time the state was plowing money into Saint John's Fisher Law in Rochester. An absurdity. It was noted that practically all the big pols in NY on both sides of the aisle went to private schools, hardly any to SUNY. US Senator, Governor, top congressman, Senate Majority leader, Att. General, Congress leader, etc. And I'm not talking about Ivy League privates either. But places like William & Mary, Washington College in MD., Yeshiva, St. John's, Fordham, etc.

Reaction Score
Carnegie and the AAU don't share their numbers?

Not in the area of pre-med acceptance rates or anything related to placement in med schools. At least, not that I have been able to dig up.

Reaction Score
Many many friends of mine fron NY who are physicians all went to the major SUNYs. I think it’s a tremendous bargain and even Ct. residents out of state pay about the same as UConn costs. Know plenty who go to great grad schools from SUNY. College is what you make of it, what you put in to it. With no aid, if paying $65,000 a year is your thing to go private go right ahead. Out of state big universities with reps are not cheap. How much does UVA cost for out of state students?

Reaction Score
Many many friends of mine fron NY who are physicians all went to the major SUNYs. I think it’s a tremendous bargain and even Ct. residents out of state pay about the same as UConn costs. Know plenty who go to great grad schools from SUNY. College is what you make of it, what you put in to it. With no aid, if paying $65,000 a year is your thing to go private go right ahead. Out of state big universities with reps are not cheap. How much does UVA cost for out of state students?
I don't disagree. It has gotten to the point where very few private schools are worth the cost and, even then, it depends on your financial situation. If you are in a position to get a decent amount of financial aid, the private schools look better. If you are in the category of making over $250K a year, the value scale tips toward the in state option quickly. If you are filthy rich, who cares, go private. Basically, upper middle class is a tough place to be in this example. The analysis also depends on your intended career. How much value will you get out of the network you will be exposed to? The very best private schools with great networks and great financial aid are tough to beat. But the in state schools start to become an attractive option quickly as you move down the list. You get to the point where you say, yeah, that school is better but not THAT much better to justify the extra cost.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
You should know better. Ollie won a title but there is no way to say Hobbs or someone else would not have been equally or even more successful.

EVEN MORE SUCCESSFUL than a national championship? Please... do tell how that's possible?

Even for you, this is quite something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom