Coaching | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaching

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Have you seen who’s sitting on the bench, injured? 6-5 Jana, 6-2 Ayanna, and 6-2 Caroline.
Patterson and Ducharme are not bigs. They are mediums. I think the coaching staff made a huge mistake by not bringing in another big (6'4"+) at the same time as Juhasz. All this stuff about how having a healthy El Alfi would have solved everything ignores that she is a freshman that has never played at the D1 level.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
He's had 2 chances to do that in the past 3 years, and has brought back former players/coaches each time. He's comfortable with who he has on his staff, and they're all excellent coaches. The problems we have now are mostly due to the rash of injuries we've had. Have we had some recruiting misses? Yup, but every other team has misses too. Is our pool too small? That might be something to look at.
A little heresy here - or at least a different perspective w/o the NFB blinders. None of the three assistants have proven themselves as "excellent" coaches away from UConn. Elliott had no success as a head coach, Valley is a journeyman assistant coach. Although she did have a short lived head coach stint at Hartford (4-37) and although Cardoza enjoyed some moderate success at Temple her performance wasn't good enough to let her keep her job.
UConn needs at least one assistant that is much closer to the age of the players instead of the age of the fans. Average age of the three is 48. The team also needs hungry assistant coaches on their way up instead of the heading in other direction.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I don't know much about NIL and how it works. I do know that both LSU and SC are often mentioned when top players have lucrative contracts, but can teams recruit players using NIL as a lure? Under the table? I know that Paige and maybe others do, too, so it's everywhere. If the word is out that you can make more from "?U" than elsewhere, it has to significantly effect the future of WBB. Please help clarify this for me. Thanks.
Simply type the following in Google's search box, "How does NIL influence college recruits?"

Reaction Score
As mentioned in other posts Carla will be the next UConn Women's Basketball Coach. Not Shea, Not Jen, Not Sue. I still believe that Tonya came back to help with the Berube take over when that takes place. Chris won't be here and neither will Jamelle. I would not put it past Diana not being on a new staff when it happens. We all know that she has attitude. Kids like that nowadays. But she has young children and is smart by living in the warmth. Then again Geno can bring her a case of Taurasi wine to lure her to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Simply type the following in Google's search box, "How does NIL influence college recruits?"
Thanks Gordo. It's what I figured was going on, but now I have a much better idea of how really loose the oversight is on recruiting. Transfers will turn the sport upside down...except that smaller colleges won't even get good athletes to apply, so only the biggest "active" recruiting programs, will succeed in the future. The NCAA is not too likely to oversee things, I suppose.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how some BYers can't grasp the fact that last year for most of the year UCONN had 70+ potential points sitting on the bench unable to play!
And already this season we have approximately Azzi, 20 to 25 points; Caroline, 15 to 20 points; Ayanna, 8 to 12 points; Jana, 10 to 14 points; sitting on the bench that's 53 points on the low side and 71 points on the high side not able to play a second of game time!
It's tough to win when you are denied that many possible points!
It's like a boxer fighting with his power hand tied behind his back!;
It takes us from champion caliber to just being barely competitive! And with LSU, SoCar, ND, Utah, NoCar, NoCar St, TN, UCLA, TX, Stanford, Louisville, Iowa, Ohio State, Maryland, and others as competition for the National Championship even down 5 to 10 points eliminates UCONN from being elite!
Face the facts that injuries alone, not coaching, not our bigs, our bench, our recruiting tendencies, our strength and conditioning are killing us!
You can't blame our 18 to 22 year old young ladies on being shell-shocked, "why is this keep happening to us?"

Reaction Score
I don't understand how some BYers can't grasp the fact that last year for most of the year UCONN had 70+ potential points sitting on the bench unable to play!
And already this season we have approximately Azzi, 20 to 25 points; Caroline, 15 to 20 points; Ayanna, 8 to 12 points; Jana, 10 to 14 points; sitting on the bench that's 53 points on the low side and 71 points on the high side not able to play a second of game time!
It's tough to win when you are denied that many possible points!
It's like a boxer fighting with his power hand tied behind his back!;
It takes us from champion caliber to just being barely competitive! And with LSU, SoCar, ND, Utah, NoCar, NoCar St, TN, UCLA, TX, Stanford, Louisville, Iowa, Ohio State, Maryland, and others as competition for the National Championship even down 5 to 10 points eliminates UCONN from being elite!
Face the facts that injuries alone, not coaching, not our bigs, our bench, our recruiting tendencies, our strength and conditioning are killing us!
You can't blame our 18 to 22 year old young ladies on being shell-shocked, "why is this keep happening to us?"
Although there are some things you've written that I can agree with, your estimated scoring stats I cannot. The only realistic stats that can be used would be last year's averages. Azzi averaged 15 points per game, Caroline 7, Ayanna 2. Jana can't possibly to given any as she has not played a single minute of D1 basketball, and quite honestly we have no idea if she can play at this level. So, instead of the low side 53 points sitting on the bench, it would be a more realistic 24 points. However, not all of those points can be considered additions to our team score, because those players would be replacing others in our lineup. While those other players were playing they scored an undetermined amount of points which at least some of which would need to be subtracted from the total. :D

Reaction Score
As mentioned in other posts Carla will be the next UConn Women's Basketball Coach. Not Shea, Not Jen, Not Sue. I still believe that Tonya came back to help with the Berube take over when that takes place. Chris won't be here and neither will Jamelle. I would not put it past Diana not being on a new staff when it happens. We all know that she has attitude. Kids like that nowadays. But she has young children and is smart by living in the warmth. Then again Geno can bring her a case of Taurasi wine to lure her to Connecticut.
What are the next PowerBall numbers?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Patterson and Ducharme are not bigs. They are mediums. I think the coaching staff made a huge mistake by not bringing in another big (6'4"+) at the same time as Juhasz. All this stuff about how having a healthy El Alfi would have solved everything ignores that she is a freshman that has never played at the D1 level.
Why are you assuming Geno didn’t recruit taller players? Why are people acting like the staff has been ignoring the need for height? It’s not like Geno can order kids to go to UConn.

Caroline and Ayanna are the same height as Swin, Ashja, and Tamika. I would rather have a shorter, more talented player than a stiff that was recruited for an additional 3” in height

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
To me, the Big East schedule can't come soon enough. We obviously have a chemistry problem, and trying to solve that against UCLA, South Carilina, Texas, etc. is very hard to do. We are the only team in the top 25 with 2 losses as far as I know, so a high ranking before January will not happen. We need some easy games to integrate the freshmen, get the rotations and combinations right, get Caroline right, and do something to get our transition game going. I also think the time has come for Amari to step up, but Geno has to cooperate to give her the opportunity to improve. It is evident that we have a height problem, and to be able to compete with the teams with big guys we will need her. He needs to start her in one game and leave her in to sink or swim. If she can help us down the road she has to show Geno that she can do this. Throwing her in for 3 minutes at a time doesn't work. She has to be in there and establish herself as a force the opponent will have to deal with. We need her going forward, and if our coaches cannot see this then we are doomed for the season.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
To me, the Big East schedule can't come soon enough. We obviously have a chemistry problem, and trying to solve that against UCLA, South Carilina, Texas, etc. is very hard to do. We are the only team in the top 25 with 2 losses as far as I know, so a high ranking before January will not happen. We need some easy games to integrate the freshmen, get the rotations and combinations right, get Caroline right, and do something to get our transition game going. I also think the time has come for Amari to step up, but Geno has to cooperate to give her the opportunity to improve. It is evident that we have a height problem, and to be able to compete with the teams with big guys we will need her. He needs to start her in one game and leave her in to sink or swim. If she can help us down the road she has to show Geno that she can do this. Throwing her in for 3 minutes at a time doesn't work. She has to be in there and establish herself as a force the opponent will have to deal with. We need her going forward, and if our coaches cannot see this then we are doomed for the season.
DeBerry has had ample opportunity to show that she can contribute, both in a game and in practice. If she was showing some game in practice, she would get more time on the court.

So far this year she has had 23 minutes in games and has yet to put up a shot, let alone score. Her stats - 1 rb, 5 fouls, 3 blks, 5 tos.

Reaction Score
Think Berube, young and very successful at the helm in a few years. Just a dream.
I suppose age is a relative thing, but Carla is a lot older than the kid by the same name who used to play for UConn many years ago. However, I think she is 2+ decades younger than Geno.

Reaction Score
Have you seen who’s sitting on the bench, injured? 6-5 Jana, 6-2 Ayanna, and 6-2 Caroline.
Don't disagree but not sure how to evaluate this comment. Even if the they were playing, Jana was an unproven frosh, Ayanna has had challenges with her offense, tendancy to foul, and is a relatively short 6'2" big. Caroline has been hurt off and on for over a year with head injuries that typically do not just go away. Even if Azzi was playing, we would have been limited in the number of scorers. Agree that we would certainly be doing better but surprised some "insurance policies" were not added to the lineup via the transfer portal or Europe. Best examples I can think of is Lou last year who most anticipated joining as a sub, and Dorka, who joined when many said DeBerry and others would be the answer. As LSU and SC were loading up, Geno seemed to take a more conservative strategy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom