Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He isn't going to get a huge job as his first HC one, no matter how good his results are as a coordinator.

A couple people stated it, go to UConn 2-3 years and get it going well again and then jump if the opportunity presents itself.

I think Joe is thinking that D'antonio thinks UConn isn't necessarily a "bad" job, but I think Joe thinks that D'Antonio thinks that Narduzzi might be able to land a REALLY big job on the order of Texas or Notre Dame if they open in a year or two. I would answer that if that type of job opens in two years Narduzzi could use two years of HC experience by making UConn AAC champs and upsetting a REALLY big name school in the new contract bowl.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I am not a big fan of job candidates who become drama queens before they are even offered the job. If Narduzzi's agent is already leaking "he can do better", it may be best to move on to the next candidate.
Are we that freaking sensitive? Jeez...

Reaction Score
Who cares. Let them preen. This is about finding the right FOOTBALL coach for the next 3-10 years. Personal Slights and perceptions and feelings are so low on the priority list.

Ink the right guy. Nothing else matters.

If he already feels he's above UConn, then he's not going to be the "right FOOTBALL coach", and obviously not for the next 3-10 years.

We're not a charity case. We need him to do a job, and a really difficult one at that. I'd rather have a less talented coach coming in with a great attitude than one with more talent who's already looking past us.

Reaction Score
If he already feels he's above UConn, then he's not going to be the "right FOOTBALL coach", and obviously not for the next 3-10 years.

We're not a charity case. We need him to do a job, and a really difficult one at that. I'd rather have a less talented coach coming in with a great attitude than one with more talent who's already looking past us.

Many of you are taking press leaks as the guys state of mind. CHill the out. When you take a new job you don't profess your love for it until you sign on teh dotted line.

Haven't any of you ever been in a negotiation before?

Let it play out. Unless it actually comes out of Narduzzi's mouth take it with a bucket of salt. This aint complicated.

Reaction Score
One of the major gripes people had about Edsall was that he never really wanted to be here.
Personally, I think it's a win win. If narduzzi turns this thing around and jumps for a bigger job, UConn will be positioned to hire another great coach. Anyone would rather come into a cupboard full versus empty situation. I can't see how we would eliminate quality candidates because they could leave...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
A lot of what is said at this time of year is coach-speak and trying to be politically correct in order to not burn any possible bridges. Example - TJW said he didn't want to take the interim job because he felt that it undermined PP. Of course he wanted the interim job for a chance to prove what he can do but he had to say that he didn't want it to not burn any bridges or look like he is some sort of narcissist.

Reaction Score
So what if he "can do better"?

Either he takes the job or he doesn't. The money's there, the potential is there, the commitment from the school is there, if Narduzzi doesn't want the job then he clearly isn't the right guy.

This is why I like Weist though. I hate to feel like we're a stepping stone and though we would be even for Weist if he got hot for a few years, I feel like he wouldn't go into the job expecting for us to be a stepping stone.
We are a stepping stone. Don't hate to feel like it. Accept it.

Reaction Score
Two things:

1) TJW will not be brought back unless it's as head coach. It's as simple as that. TJW would likely not accept the demotion and almost certainly Narduzzi would bring his own guy in and not risk going into a job with the potential for player's allegiances to be split.

How some of you cannot grasp that is astonishing.

2) As others have mentioned, money talks. There aren't a ton of marquee jobs available and if we come anywhere close to $2M/ season he'd be a damn fool to not accept the huge raise and opportunity.
I agree entirely on #1. On #2 I think Narduzzi will take the job if offered. If he plays it too cute, or turns it down, you never know. Michigan State takes a step back next year, or something else unexpected happens and the next thing you know someone else is the new can't miss assistant and you're Bud Foster.

Reaction Score
amory said:
So what if he "can do better"? Either he takes the job or he doesn't. The money's there, the potential is there, the commitment from the school is there, if Narduzzi doesn't want the job then he clearly isn't the right guy. This is why I like Weist though. I hate to feel like we're a stepping stone and though we would be even for Weist if he got hot for a few years, I feel like he wouldn't go into the job expecting for us to be a stepping stone.

The only difference between Weist and Narduzzi is that this is, far and away, the best job Weist can get. I am not sure the year he coached here makes him bleed husky blue for life.

I want the best guy. If we turn into Cincy with a revolving door of awesome coaches, so be it. W's are W's.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Exactly. I want the closest football equivalent to Kevin Ollie that we can get.
Personality wise- I see that in TJW. I would hope that most here can see that and agree with that. He will be an excellent head coach some day. The problem today is that it's slightly ahead of the curve for him. I think folks (including myself) would prefer to see a guy with a fuller resume. TJ is a little riskier. I think whoever bets on TJ will be rewarded in the end, I just don't know that it will be UConn.

Reaction Score
1) TJW will not be brought back unless it's as head coach. It's as simple as that. TJW would likely not accept the demotion and almost certainly Narduzzi would bring his own guy in and not risk going into a job with the potential for player's allegiances to be split.

How some of you cannot grasp that is astonishing.

Let's assume Narduzzi is confident in his own ability and not threatened by TJ's presence and wants to keep him, like Meyer did with Fickell, but TJ is pissed he didn't get the fulltime gig.

Where else is TJ going to make $475K-plus next season?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not that most don't realize this, but Kevin Ollie is an anomaly. literally a 1 in a million fit and we are SO lucky to have him.

The closest we'll ever have to KO in football was Edsall, who ironically half this board STILL thinks was an average at best coach.

Hire Narduzzi hope he kills it for 3 seasons and hopefully we'll find ourselves replacing our coach after a few great seasons.

Reaction Score
EXACTLY. MSU won't pay him $2M/yr to be DC. Maybe another school can pay him that much to be head coach but he can win right away at UCONN. QB, WR, RB in place. Some good youth on D to coach up. Winning 4 games next year is technically an improvement (but easily attainable given the schedule)! People just like to bag on UCONN out there and I'm not sure why.
Who said anything about $2 million/yr? I think Warde will offer him whatever it takes, so I would not be surprised if Narduzzi ask for and gets $3 mill. I would like to see Warde and Narduzzi agree on TJ as OC, but that might be wishful thinking.

Reaction Score
Who said anything about $2 million/yr? I think Warde will offer him whatever it takes, so I would not be surprised if Narduzzi ask for and gets $3 mill. I would like to see Warde and Narduzzi agree on TJ as OC, but that might be wishful thinking.
$3-$3.5 mill/yr is the kind of money you pay a coach who is winning at a similar conference level or in the P-5 and wants the challenge of building a winning program here. If Pat Narduzzi asks for $3 mill/yr and he is far and above the rest of the pool...that would still be a stretch for me. I can see him getting a similar offer that Pitt gave Paul Chryst when they hired him from Wisconsin. At the time Chryst was considered one of if not the top OC in the B1G...like Narduzzi is now as a DC.

Reaction Score
Where were you forty years ago? I've made a career burning bridges.
I was living and working the doors in the disco scene at the Ice Palace and a couple other joints in Manhatten in 77 as a 25 yr old after leaving the service and i wish I could go back, Ha Ha!

Reaction Score
Narduzzi is actually a perfect fit for UConn.

From his perspective: UConn is great first job for him to take as a new HC. He's not likely going to be offered a top HC job as his first opportunity. But he is ready to take the reigns of a good and solid BCS program that's committed to success. This would give him the chance to learn on the job and prepare himself for a top opportunity in a few years. MS would love to have him come back as HC IF Dantonio decides to retire in a few years. I did read somewhere that he's already been dubbed as Dantonio's successor. He would quadruple his pay check too! He would likely be coming in at a salary that also eclipses his current bosses at MS ($1.96M). With his wife's family very nearby...he may view that as a huge selling point I believe.

From our perspective: Narduzzi would bring instant respect back to the program. He's proven himself as a great DC and assistant HC. For us he would likely open up new avenues for recruiting. He would likely elevate our level of play through good coaching as well as he has many contacts for assistant coaching positions and likely for recruiting purposes too. If the MS HC job were to open up in a few years, then we've benefited from all of the above and made ourselves into a much higher level program and a much more attractive destination for a future HC. The bonus would be if we were to gain admission to the B1G or the ACC partially as a result of that success. It's possible that he may just decide to continue as HC here at UConn if that were to happen. I think it's a win-win scenario!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I am not a big fan of job candidates who become drama queens before they are even offered the job. If Narduzzi's agent is already leaking "he can do better", it may be best to move on to the next candidate.

This is a something more important that three wins. If a guy isn't excited to be here, or is bummed out because better jobs aren't open then we shouldn't hire him. That's for Warde to figure out.

Reaction Score
$3-$3.5 mill/yr is the kind of money you pay a coach who is winning at a similar conference level or in the P-5 and wants the challenge of building a winning program here. If Pat Narduzzi asks for $3 mill/yr and he is far and above the rest of the pool...that would still be a stretch for me. I can see him getting a similar offer that Pitt gave Paul Chryst when they hired him from Wisconsin. At the time Chryst was considered one of if not the top OC in the B1G...like Narduzzi is now as a DC.
Aside from being a terrific get for UCONN if we get him, Narduzzi could also be instrumental in helping to get the B10 to take a serious look UCONN.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's assume Narduzzi is confident in his own ability and not threatened by TJ's presence and wants to keep him, like Meyer did with Fickell, but TJ is pissed he didn't get the fulltime gig.

Where else is TJ going to make $475K-plus next season?

Exactly. TJ obviously wants the UConn HC job, but not because of his love for UConn (please, he just got here, he is not Kevin Ollie). He wants it because he has a slight chance at an FBS head coaching gig, despite being just a WR coach last year. Nobody else is making him a HC at this level. I suppose some FCS teams might give him a look. But it is entirely likely that OC at UConn is the best, highest paying job he can get. He's not Ed Orgeron either, who was already a fairly successful HC at Ole Miss.

As it stands, UConn is the best opening available or 2nd to WF at worst. Boise is worse, and the others are much worse. Pelini is staying at Nebraska. Mullen, if he was on the hot seat, won't be now with a win over Ole Miss and bowl trip. Four straight bowls at Miss St. is about the best they can hope for. Narduzzi will never be more sought after than he is now, and since he doesn't fit at WF, we're the best he's going to do. If we want him (I think so).

Reaction Score
I just can't wait until this is over. It was fun tracking Warde's plane, but I'm already sick of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom