Coaches Disapprove Flopping? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaches Disapprove Flopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I refer to flopping I am not talking about falling as a result of contact. In fact I think players should be taught how to fall. I've seen knees and ankles hurt simply because a player tried not to fall after contact and stuck a leg out in that attempt only to be helped off the court. Better to get a bruise on one's ass than to injury a leg joint in an attempt to stay upright. And falling backward helps to lessen the jolt of contact.

A year or two ago or so I posted something similar. Falling is an art form. Most people get hurt falling because they fight it and in so doing they put their extremities at risk. When a fall is inevitable you need to flex your joints and assume something close to the fetal position and try to hopefully roll into it landing on your side on your way to your back. Sounds ridiculous? Over the years it has served me well in sports as well as thousands of miles of swamps, hummocks, rocks, ice, weeds, tree roots etc.

Reaction Score
When I refer to flopping I am not talking about falling as a result of contact. In fact I think players should be taught how to fall. I've seen knees and ankles hurt simply because a player tried not to fall after contact and stuck a leg out in that attempt only to be helped off the court. Better to get a bruise on one's ass than to injury a leg joint in an attempt to stay upright. And falling backward helps to lessen the jolt of contact..
That's how I was taught. Don't fling yourself to the ground, but if you stand up straight and put your toes up (especially if you're skinny like I was), it really doesn't take much.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Personally I think Baylor had the best flopping game ever when we last played them at home. It was pretty hilarious. Anyone got that game on tape? It is brutal to watch. At one point my wife walked out of the room and she heard the refs whistle blow on the TV and she goes... Let me guess, a Baylor player has hit the deck? Lol, she was right. As far as teaching it, I am not so sure. I think more often then not it just becomes a product of environment, if a team has 1 really effective flopper the madness spreads to the whole team.

It was just Mulkey's daughter...but she would fall at the wave of a feather.

Reaction Score
It is a course at Notre Dame. They teach it over the summer prior to the athletes first season of play...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom