Coach Pasqauloni | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Pasqauloni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What the heck did I say? Don't I get into enough fights when I voluntarily open my mouth?

I did say I would have gone younger when he was hired. Why?

1. To move the program to a level above where Edsall had it is not a short term project. If we weren't going to have the coach for at least six to eight years, wasn't going to happen.

2. To recruit to a place that lags behind its peers in football prestige and historical accomplishments, you need to have something to sell. Being closer in age and experience to recruits is one thing that could help.

3. I didn't think P was the guy for a number of reasons not directly related to age that I haven't yet been proven wrong on. I didn't say he was a bad football coach, or guy. I didn't say I didn't see reasons for the hire, or that it was a dumb hire. But it was not the direction I would have looked had it been my choice. I still hope I'm proven wrong.

But that's all I intend to say because not even I care what I said two years ago. He is our coach and all that's important between now and the end of the season is how we're going to win more games.

As far as your first point coach p has a five year contract which he will be sixty seven. He is a young sixty two. This really isn't an issue.

As far as the second point I'm not sure the age has anything to do with relating to players. These guys are looking for a chance to be pro. That is many of their dreams. I'm sure they would e more interesting in coach p pro contacts than listening going to a Chris brown or Rihanna concert with them.

Reaction Score
As far as your first point coach p has a five year contract which he will be sixty seven. He is a young sixty two. This really isn't an issue.

As far as the second point I'm not sure the age has anything to do with relating to players. These guys are looking for a chance to be pro. That is many of their dreams. I'm sure they would e more interesting in coach p pro contacts than listening going to a Chris brown or Rihanna concert with them.

This isn't my fight -- someone asked why I took this position two years ago -- but I'll make two points and go away.

1. Pulling UConn to a level above where we were winning more Big East games than we were losing and in good years competing for the championship will not be done in even five years. P's first recruiting class, not counting the Edsall recruiting class he took over, the first class he really recruited (last year's signings), will not have reached their redshirt senior year after five years. The only way we are getting to a "next" level is with better players, and it takes time to make improvements in recruiting but then you have a five year lag before the improvements fully pay off. If P was on track to get us quickly to the next level, we're talking him being 70 by the time we get there (and I'm not saying he can't have a good or great season prior to that -- just that he won't have us consistently on another level).

2. Relative youth is a good thing in recruiting players. I never said it was the only thing or couldn't be overcome, but I do believe it is helpful. If we disagree on that, fine.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
My dad is 73 and still working thinking of finally retiring and getting a part time job,i'll see if he wants to apply, filmed Yale football for 40yrs,I guess he could use Cozza as a reference!

Reaction Score
I waited until after 4 games to evaluate the year. That is time enough.

Age is really a non factor here, despite what some people think. But, after last season and 4 games this season we are good enough to lose. I mean that there were many winnable games last year and this year and we lost them all. Vandy, W.Mich twice Iowa State, NC State. Even WVU last year there was a thread of hope to be in that game. Cincy last year well maybe.

So each game there is a thread of positive (this week it was 300+ yard passing) coupled with a huge let down on something else - this week the defensive side. So each week there is something to backfire to help us lose rather than something to invigorate the win.

We put a good game together against USF and Rutgers last year and looked awful against Pitt and Louisville.

This can't continue for the long haul.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I hope they let Jimmy pick the next coach

Ed Nelson?

Reaction Score
I never understood this. CT doesn't produce enough talent to worry about relationships with HS coaches, and even looking at your recruiting now I see three players from CT, one 2* and two low end 3*. That's not enough to make a fuss over hiring a coach to recruit CT for a BCS conference team. You need a guy who can sway kids who would never go to Storrs to go there, much like what happened in basketball.

Meh.... You are sort of right but you are also really short sighted. CT may not churn out big numbers, but we turn out a couple of really quality players each year. If we could have kept Silas Redd or Aaron Hernandez at home then they would have been difference makers for us. In state relations with Edsall may have been poor. Just look at how quickly Edsall pissed off some of the local coaches in Maryland.

I think Jeff Hathaway had a screw loose in overstating the importance of in state relations. He clearly didn't get it.

Mending fences in state should be a secondary or tertiary priority. But it costs us very little and the potential payoff is huge. It also helps tie the program to the community it resides in, which is probably the most important thing.

Reaction Score
Meh.... You are sort of right but you are also really short sighted. CT may not churn out big numbers, but we turn out a couple of really quality players each year. If we could have kept Silas Redd or Aaron Hernandez at home then they would have been difference makers for us. In state relations with Edsall may have been poor. Just look at how quickly Edsall pissed off some of the local coaches in Maryland.

I think Jeff Hathaway had a screw loose in overstating the importance of in state relations. He clearly didn't get it.

Mending fences in state should be a secondary or tertiary priority. But it costs us very little and the potential payoff is huge. It also helps tie the program to the community it resides in, which is probably the most important thing.

Some of our very best players have been from CT, like Dan O and Scott Lutrus. We also have a handful of CT guys either on the team now or coming next year that are important pieces.

Reaction Score
I never understood this. CT doesn't produce enough talent to worry about relationships with HS coaches, and even looking at your recruiting now I see three players from CT, one 2* and two low end 3*. That's not enough to make a fuss over hiring a coach to recruit CT for a BCS conference team. You need a guy who can sway kids who would never go to Storrs to go there, much like what happened in basketball.
Agree 100%. I want the top kids in state to stay home. Same way I want the top kids in NJ or PA, or wherever to come to UConn. The CT HS coaches have it twisted. The University and even RE opened up the facilities, camps, clinics, etc... to them, and only a few really took advantage. So our former coaches missed on some in state players, it happens. The same crap was going on with Holtz and Jackson for that next tier down player. For whatever reason there always seemed to be a frosty or strange relationship b/w UConn staff and CT HS coaches. The common denominator in this is the CT HS coaches.

Reaction Score
Knowing Aaron growing up......well.......let's just say Florida was going to be the better place for him outside of football. You guys drug test right?

And you have the same problem RU had. High school coaches want their kids to go to the 'big school' because it makes them look better.

Reaction Score
Knowing Aaron growing up......well.......let's just say Florida was going to be the better place for him outside of football. You guys drug test right?

Question for you: how big a dick do you have to be to publicly and anonymously accuse a person of criminal behavior where you have effected his image whether it's true or not? Bigger than Schiano? Or just in that ballpark?

Go away.

Reaction Score
Um...........it's pretty common knowledge at this point. I mean it's not like it's hard to find.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I want the top kids in state to stay home. Same way I want the top kids in NJ or PA, or wherever to come to UConn. The CT HS coaches have it twisted. The University and even RE opened up the facilities, camps, clinics, etc... to them, and only a few really took advantage. So our former coaches missed on some in state players, it happens. The same crap was going on with Holtz and Jackson for that next tier down player. For whatever reason there always seemed to be a frosty or strange relationship b/w UConn staff and CT HS coaches. The common denominator in this is the CT HS coaches.
Agree 1000 percent. The definition of old-boy network is the CT HS football coaching fraternity. A lot of successful guys who have been in their jobs 20, 30-plus years and many of whom happen to be Italian-American, which speaks highly of the culture from which they came - hard work, dedicated etc. They deserve a lot of credit for all the lives they've touched in a positive way.
Their downside? An overinflated opinion of their expertise, importance and influence. The same guys who steered the top state kids away from UConn for years because it was I-AA, even kids who didn't have I-A talent. Then comes Edsall, and he gets the same cold shoulder that Skip Holtz, Jackson, etc got. Edsall moves forward, works his ass off and guides UConn into I-A and gets the facilities. He also has a long memory and pays back the CT coaches who were stiffing him by giving them the cold shoulder. Two wrongs don't make a right and Randy should have been the bigger man, but that's what happened, plus a lot of jealousy Edsall pulled off something they always thought they could accomplish. Then Edsall leaves and the old boy network gets together and has the stones to write a public "endorsement" of Pasqualoni, who coincidentally happens to be a paisan. Can you imagine the laughter that letter would have generated in SEC country?? The data proves even on a per capita basis CT produces the fewest I-A players in the country. How about a little less endorsing and more productive coaching?
Should the UConn football coach go Howard Schenellenberger and publicly declare he's going to build a recruiting wall around CT? Absolutely. Should he reach out to CT coaches and keep good relations with them? No doubt. But in reality you have to do what Randy did and recruit Pa., NY, NJ Ga. and Florida as hard or harder than CT. Among the qualities I want in a UConn football coach, good relations with CT HS coaches barely makes the top 10.
The CT HS coaches could do a public service and give PP/GD ideas to spice up the offense, though. . . .

Reaction Score
I would prefer it if the RU guys stayed away from here for the next 3 or 4 weeks. The Jay fella doesn't seem like a bad guy but the blitz character is just a .

Let us wallow in our own misery.

Reaction Score

you're right, but P wasn't just brought in for his CT recruiting ties. Also his NJ and NY ties. Some NJ HS coaches association and a NY HS coaches association had given him some kind of recommendation. Don't forget two of Rutgers best all time players were originally committed to P until he was fired. I think if we can get the half a dozen guys from NY/NJ, a handful from CT/NE, and then 5-6 from parts unknown like Florida, Texas, PA, etc, we can put together competitive teams.

Reaction Score
You could put together competitive teams, but with a hire like him, at his age, you probably should be wanting better classes right now. Cause if he gets canned next year and all he has left you is some low end to decent recruits, well you're right back in these same conversations a few years from now. The fan base will be saying things like 'wait till Coach X has his own players for his system'. I've heard it before. It sucks to admit that certain hires are wrong, but good coaches make their systems work for their personnel, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Good coaches make their systems work for their personnel, not the other way around.
And that, friends, is the nut issue with the UC offense. DeLeone is trying to force-feed his way. It was like he was teasing us by running that successfully executed rollout on the first play and then abandoned moving CW around the rest of the day. That, or GD put so much energy in installing the rollout he didn't have anything else left in the tank.

Reaction Score
And that, friends, is the nut issue with the UC offense. DeLeone is trying to force-feed his way. It was like he was teasing us by running that successfully executed rollout on the first play and then abandoned moving CW around the rest of the day. That, or GD put so much energy in installing the rollout he didn't have anything else left in the tank.

DeLeone ran that roll out to the TE with success against NC State as well. I have been wondering why he doesn't let Whitmer move around more since our line is suspect, but you have to think Whitmer's history of throwing pic's has something to do with it.

Reaction Score
HCPP just brings zero buzz to the program - wins, offense, recruiting, ra-ra stuff. With poor attendance and conference expansion it's imperative UConn injects life into this program - either by sacking HCPP or forcing him to make some tough decision.

Reaction Score
No way pasqualoni gets fired in season. And if you look at it sensibly, there's no way he loses his job til after the 2013 season at the least. There's the michigan game and the maryland game next season, and the prospect of stepping up the OOC competition in future years. Warde won't just change the coach and uproot recruiting, coaching staff, personnel, and student athletes, when there is no one better available right now.

Pasqualoni was brought in here to develop players. A pro coach( linebackers and defensive coordinator) for the past 6 years, getting about 1.5 million a year, its not like he doesn't have the resources(well paid staff, great facilities, relatively large recruiting budget). He went out in the off season hired a pro qb coach, and i'm sure he was able to offer him a pretty good salary. My point is that uconn is not WMU, this is not some coach struggling to get a program going, with no budget and facilities playing 12,000 seat stadium. He's here to build this program, or the least be a bridge. Its only 16 games but the team is so inconsistant under him. They can't win two games in a row, much less a win streak, which is at least three games. Is this what it comes down to? How many years does it take before the team win 3 games in a row.

Consistancy, that's such a key word. The fan base is not asking for a 10 win seasons, but at least play some exciting football. show a fighting spirit. At least have the ability to adapt to whatever strategies the other team is doing. Who want's to see football, similiar to an 1890's bare knuckle boxing match, where the fighters only throw single jabs, and cover their face the whole fight. It's like when we fell behind 17 points it was the end of the world even though it was the second quarter. After 18 months of work, that is what it comes down to on offense?

This business with foley and the line is disturbing, cause it appears deleone blamed last seasons OL weakness on foley and he takes over and the line is geting pushed around by umass and everyone else. Running back situation is also frustrating when it comes to the power rushes with McCombs who can't run over anyone. So there's no one else on the roster who can carry the ball? If that's the case, then why don't we have any rb recruits? If the line is so bad, why wasn't there an attempt to bring in more juco OL last year? You know, there just doesn't seem to be that continuity, as if this year is better than last year. I know its early in the season. Alot of things can go right. But at least pasqualoni knows of the displeasure. In his press conference he says " we just got to win" damn right. But we just want you to build.

Reaction Score
No way pasqualoni gets fired in season. And if you look at it sensibly, there's no way he loses his job til after the 2013 season at the least. (That would be damaging to the program if he wasn't. HE IS NOT THE GUY) There's the michigan game and the maryland game next season, and the prospect of stepping up the OOC competition in future years. Warde won't just change the coach and uproot recruiting, coaching staff, personnel, and student athletes, when there is no one better available right now. Petrino. How much is Arkansas missing him?

Pasqualoni was brought in here to develop players. (No, he was brought in the win games). A pro coach( linebackers and defensive coordinator) for the past 6 years, getting about 1.5 million a year, its not like he doesn't have the resources(well paid staff, great facilities, relatively large recruiting budget). He went out in the off season hired a pro qb coach, and i'm sure he was able to offer him a pretty good salary. My point is that uconn is not WMU, this is not some coach struggling to get a program going, with no budget and facilities playing 12,000 seat stadium. (All the more reason to can him). He's here to build this program, or the least be a bridge. If he's a bridge then let's get to the Guy who will be the Guy. Its only 16 games but the team is so inconsistant under him. They can't win two games in a row, much less a win streak, which is at least three games. Is this what it comes down to? How many years does it take before the team win 3 games in a row.

Consistancy, that's such a key word. The fan base is not asking for a 10 win seasons, (maybe that's the problem. Maybe we should be) but at least play some exciting football. show a fighting spirit. At least have the ability to adapt to whatever strategies the other team is doing. Who want's to see football, similiar to an 1890's bare knuckle boxing match, where the fighters only throw single jabs, and cover their face the whole fight. It's like when we fell behind 17 points it was the end of the world even though it was the second quarter. After 18 months of work, that is what it comes down to on offense? Because UConn hasn't demanded offense for years now. I do love your analogy though. Modern college football is suppose to be entertaining and offense is entertaining and throwing the ball is entertaining. Unless you have the best 11 players at each position on the field (ala Alabama), it's very hard to win with a running game. The passing game equalizes the playing field somewhat. Need a hot QB and some playmakers. Of course, you gotta go out and recruit them Randy, Paul.

This business with foley and the line is disturbing, cause it appears deleone blamed last seasons OL weakness on foley and he takes over and the line is geting pushed around by umass and everyone else. Running back situation is also frustrating when it comes to the power rushes with McCombs who can't run over anyone. So there's no one else on the roster who can carry the ball? If that's the case, then why don't we have any rb recruits? If the line is so bad, why wasn't there an attempt to bring in more juco OL last year? You know, there just doesn't seem to be that continuity, as if this year is better than last year. I know its early in the season. Alot of things can go right. But at least pasqualoni knows of the displeasure. In his press conference he says " we just got to win" damn right. But we just want you to build.

Reaction Score
You can't can a coach after two seasons if you ever want to be attractive to prospective hires down the road, and that's all there is to it. Our season has not been the kind of mess you can fire a coach for. It's not what we wanted so far, but it hasn't been disastrous.

Reaction Score
You can't can a coach after two seasons if you ever want to be attractive to prospective hires down the road, and that's all there is to it. Our season has not been the kind of mess you can fire a coach for. It's not what we wanted so far, but it hasn't been disastrous.

Knock on wood.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid we are stuck with HCPP and his cronies for at least the next 2 years. To me age doesn't play a factor -look at Bill Snyder at KState.

What does bother me is that PP doesn't seem like a guy to promote the program. He is an old school coach there to coach, teach technique and watch film. Which is fine but todays coach has to be more of a salesman for the program.

UCONN is not a school that will dump a coach and eat a contract.
JH played it safe and hired HCPP.
I guess Leach and RichRod were too risky.

Hopefully PP surprises us but on not counting on it.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel played with Calhoun and KO when he knows nothing about UConn BB and did nothing so far with Football. He is supposed to be a football guy and he was at the Western Michigan game. His comment was "More consistency". The jury is out on Warde competency. HCPP is a nice guy by all acounts but he is a 9-7 coach. Is he the guy to bring UConn Football to the next level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom