Coach of Year Finalists | The Boneyard

Coach of Year Finalists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the west, I would've rather seen McGuff, Gottlieb, or Close. Rest seem reasonable.

Region 1 - Muffet McGraw, Notre Dame
Region 2 - Brenda Frese, Maryland
Region 3 - Holly Warlick, Tennessee
Region 4 - Tricia Cullop, Toledo
Region 5 - Kim Mulkey, Baylor
Region 6 - Coquese Washington, Penn State
Region 7 - Beth Burns, San Diego State
Region 8 - Tara VanDerveer, Stanford

http://www.wbca.org/blog/index.cfm/...A-NCAA-Division-I-National-Coach-of-the-Year/

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I think Tara VanDerveer is a great choice. She takes a team that loses one of its best players ever (Nneka Ogwumike), has them go through the season with a 33-2 record and secures a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Add to the fact that the Cardinal did it with only one All-American (Chiney Ogwumike) and losing its best defender and guard midway through the season (Toni Kokenis). And two of the starters have virtually no playing experience, after sitting on the bench for the past few years (Mikaela Ruef and Sara James).

Reaction Score
I think Tara VanDerveer is a great choice. She takes a team that loses one of its best players ever (Nneka Ogwumike), has them go through the season with a 33-2 record and secures a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Add to the fact that the Cardinal did it with only one All-American (Chiney Ogwumike) and losing its best defender and guard midway through the season (Toni Kokenis). And two of the starters have virtually no playing experience, after sitting on the bench for the past few years (Mikaela Ruef and Sara James).
But of course you would!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I suppose she is not a bad choice, either, though. Like Mulkey and McGraw (and Geno in other years) it is a reward for success. I do agree with the OP that Close (particularly) might have been considered. Not McGuff, Washington was at best solid, some would argue not even that. He's a comer, not there yet at Washington.

Anyone but Freese would be my motto.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A couple of comments I'd make. As for Warlick taking over a new staff and young team. Also having a few injuries I think she has done a great job. As for McGraw after losing three starters from last year. To have the team with only one loss at this point. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw. She loses 3 starters to graduation and is able to win the BE regular season, BE tournament, beat UConn 3 times, and get a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Pretty impressive body of work. Of course, her players had a lot to do with it.

Reaction Score

The polls I saw had Stanford as a preseason top 10.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
The polls I saw had Stanford as a preseason top 10.

True, but I don't think many people saw Stanford as a No. 1 seed come March.

I am not saying she should win - I think Muffet McGraw should take home the honors. I am just addressing the notion that others in her region should have been nominated.

Reaction Score
True, but I don't think many people saw Stanford as a No. 1 seed come March.

i am just addressing the notion that others in her region should have been nominated.

I bet even fewer saw UCLA as a #3 seed and nearly winning the PAC tourney title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom