Coach of the year? | The Boneyard

Coach of the year?

Reaction Score
Rothstein, field of 68 guys, most of us on here, think Hurley is the favorite. Others (fans mostly from what I've seen) have said Paris, Bruce P.

No right answer here. All great coaches.

Too early to think about?

Poe

Reaction Score
Not too early, but do the conference tournaments factor into the voting?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Rothstein, field of 68 guys, most of us on here, think Hurley is the favorite. Others (fans mostly from what I've seen) have said Paris, Bruce P.

No right answer here. All great coaches.

Too early to think about?
Pearl shouldn’t be considering for anything other than adding an extra x to the size of polo he wears

Reaction Score
They announce the winner at the final four and narrow down the candidates in 2 weeks. So I'm thinking they consider post-season. Not 100% though @Poe

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
All I know is he'd better be the Big East COTY. We were picked to finish 3rd and didn't receive a single first place vote. I hate hearing the goal posts move on this. The coaches didn't think we would be this good coming into the year.

Reaction Score
All I know is he'd better be the Big East COTY. We were picked to finish 3rd and didn't receive a single first place vote. I hate hearing the goal posts move on this. The coaches didn't think we would be this good coming into the year.
He really has distinguished himself while other reasonable candidates such as Matta & Holloway have hit the skids a bit. Kim English has also done a great job of keeping Providence afloat after the Hopkins injury. I know it is blasphemy to say anything nice about Providence here. Just telling the truth.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hurley should win BE COY no problem.
Picked to finish 3rd or 4th (I'm not Googling it) and won the regular season championship with two games to play. And did it with two key starters basically out or getting in to game shape over first third of the season.
But, I'd give him less than a 50% of winning it. Don't trust the voters on it.

Reaction Score
Pearl is a coach way ahead of his time. He (reportedly) had been paying his players for almost 20 years before NIL existed. A real trail blazer.

We really shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking all of CBB but Pearl, the Squid, etc. are clean. Pearl was just more obvious about it than the rest of them.

Reaction Score
The list of CBS Sports National Coach of the Year candidates is filled with awesome names -- names like Matt Painter (Purdue), Kelvin Sampson (Houston), Danny Sprinkle (Utah State), Lamont Paris (South Carolina) and Kyle Smith (Washington State). But with all due respect to those men, my COY ballot, if submitted today, would likely start with Dan Hurley for all of the reasons stated above. He's 26-3 this season following Sunday's 91-61 victory over Seton Hall that secured UConn's first outright Big East title since 1999.

Reaction Score
Pearl shouldn’t be considering for anything other than adding an extra x to the size of polo he wears
Pearl is a backstabbing piece of crap and has been for a long time.

Reaction Score
I’d vote for Ed Cooley. Took a mediocre career at Providence and turned it into a multi-million dollar raise AND got to get out of Providence to boot. Bonus points for over Providence in the process. To paraphrase JFK, ask not what Ed Cooley can do for you, but rather ask what can you do for Ed Cooley. Give him the award. He earned it.

Reaction Score
I’d vote for Ed Cooley. Took a mediocre career at Providence and turned it into a multi-million dollar raise AND got to get out of Providence to boot. Bonus points for over Providence in the process. To paraphrase JFK, ask not what Ed Cooley can do for you, but rather ask what can you do for Ed Cooley. Give him the award. He earned it.
.500 season next year and he’d be the favorite!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If it's not Hurley, it's a joke.

Coach of the Year has never been kind to UConn....Calhoun never won NABC or Naismith.

The year of our first title, they actually split the award and gave it to K and Jim O'Brien....I mean, come on.

Paris and Pearl have gotten fat over the SEC's inability to win a road game - not impressed with either one of those teams. Hurley lost three players to the NBA, had a team that received zero first place votes in the Big East and now he's 26-3 and sitting on a conference championship.

No one else should even get a single vote.

Reaction Score
If it's not Hurley, it's a joke.

Coach of the Year has never been kind to UConn....Calhoun never won NABC or Naismith.

The year of our first title, they actually split the award and gave it to K and Jim O'Brien....I mean, come on.

Paris and Pearl have gotten fat over the SEC's inability to win a road game - not impressed with either one of those teams. Hurley lost three players to the NBA, had a team that received zero first place votes in the Big East and now he's 26-3 and sitting on a conference championship.

No one else should even get a single vote.
You’re going to be disappointed then. Another coach will get at least one vote.

pj

Reaction Score

By that standard, Kevin Ollie should have won the year he got his $10 million while taking time off.

Reaction Score
If Hurley smiled more-Like Jay Wright- He'd be the guy this year. Gotta sell the brand and be nice to refs.

Reaction Score
It's not just UConn's W/L record, or that they lost so much talent that makes Hurley COY, it's watching his team play. The creativity and precision is jaw-dropping, as if every basket was choreographed and rehearsed.

Reaction Score
If Hurley smiled more-Like Jay Wright- He'd be the guy this year. Gotta sell the brand and be nice to refs.
bunk-the-wire.gif

Reaction Score
By that standard, Kevin Ollie should have won the year he got his $10 million while taking time off.
Don’t follow Coach of the year that closely but yeah. I think maybe he should have.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He is currently the best coach in college. Coach of the year is “Coach who took a crappy team and elevated them to okay” award though. Kinda like how LeBron would have 15 MVPs if they truly gave the award to the best player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom