Coach K | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach K

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
But are you prepared to tell him that you had sex with his wife?
"The jerk store called, and they ran out of you." "What??".

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
"Oh, you mean for the fact that you would have two more championships if not for us?"
This would be my guess at what he meant.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Give me a hug."
Only if you are prepared to go through with it...and maybe just a little spooning.

Reaction Score
Those are the type of stories that make it tough to dislike K (though I will still be determined enough to find reasons). It's pretty obvious to me that he was referring to '99 and '04.

Don't think you can do anything in the moment besides laugh. Given the fact that it is as much self-deprecating as anything, any shot back would just sound sort of douchy.

Reaction Score
Anyway to complete my encounter I asked him if he would like me to get him some Uconn shirts. He did backtrack and say you guys have a good 'team' also. Might have meant Geno's. My conclusions:
1.) Quick witty comment by K. Appropriate for his immediate group.
2.) More importantly Syracuse is in the big boys club and we're not. They all congratulated Hopkins and you could sense the benefit of being in the ACC.
3.) The P5 conferences will signing new TV contracts in the next few years. The money differential will be staggering. If UConn doesn't get in this group they will be a second tier program. Those it about 5 years.

Reaction Score
I'm a regular critic of Coach K but in this instance it seems like he was clearly having fun. Additionally, it appears he's acknowledging there's a bit of a rivalry between Duke and UConn. I would have have come up with an incredibly witty response. Unfortunately, it would have been in the car driving home. . .

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Sounds like Coach K caught you slippin on your quick wits game and made you look like a doofus in front of his friends.

Reaction Score
It's a compliment, he's saying no reason for you to apologize for beating us. But it's also a dig because he's saying that he's quite happy with what his program has done and he's about to pull in the # 2 player in the country, no big deal. It would be great to have the perfect immediate comeback for K, but remember that only wives are usually that quick on the draw when firing at their spouses.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bah, you did fine. Classy move complementing Coach K. Don't listen to this woulda, shoulda , coulda crowd. Although I have to admit some of the lines were pretty good, that easier to do sitting at your key board after the fact.

Reaction Score
I would have just said "Home and Home". Why can't we do a Gampbell v Cameron two year battle. Its stupid not to....

Reaction Score
Duke was indeed one of our biggest proponents in the Louisville/UConn decision. I'm sure K meant nothing seriously mean and it was said with good nature, but surely he's not happy to have two banners not hung as a direct result of Calhoun. Surely if you told Calipari you were a UConn fan, you'd get a similar response.

Reaction Score
Duke was indeed one of our biggest proponents in the Louisville/UConn decision. I'm sure K meant nothing seriously mean and it was said with good nature, but surely he's not happy to have two banners not hung as a direct result of Calhoun. Surely if you told Calipari you were a UConn fan, you'd get a similar response.

He would blather something about they were freshman, and it's not really their fault that Uconn beat them, etc., etc.

Reaction Score
I just can't believe that some UConn fans still have a 'hatred/disdain' for Coach K after all these years. He has nothing on us (head to head), and he is a great Coach, dook is fortunate to have him. Obviously he's still 'got it'.

Anyway, his quip wouldn't even be made if an Arkansas or Oregon fan had approached him. To me it was a show of respect, and not a slight or diss.

Reaction Score
Plenty would have the balls. Having your brain fire correctly and getting the words out is the hard part.

Jerk Store. Jerk Store's the line.
What's the difference? YOU'RE THEIR ALL TIME BEST SELLER

Reaction Score
I would have just said "Home and Home". Why can't we do a Gampbell v Cameron two year battle. Its stupid not to....
It's long been rumored that both programs where terrified of playing in the other's home gym. Hence why there has been a couple NYC (area) games but never a home and home. Maybe Duke remembers when UNC came into Gampel and got dropped by about 30.

As a fan, it'd be awesome.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's long been rumored that both programs where terrified of playing in the other's home gym. Hence why there has been a couple NYC (area) games but never a home and home. Maybe Duke remembers when UNC came into Gampel and got dropped by about 30.

As a fan, it'd be awesome.
I doubt it. Duke tries to get a NYC game annually. They rarely (ever?) do non-conference home and home. It's them not us.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Isn't that what he was saying?
That would be my read, but it sounds like the OP and the chuckleheads with K might not have understood that, so I'd want to drive it home if given the chance.

There are many variations on the same theme, e.g.,

"For making your daughter cry on national television?"

"For reminding you that games are 40 minutes long?"

"For the fact that you have the face of a rat?"

Reaction Score
Looks like about a half dozen of you came to the same reference as i did: George Costanza

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great for you to congratulate K and for identifying yourself as a UCONN fan.
Had 2 relatives attend Duke and one was affiliated with the mens BBall team as a grad student "job" 3 years ago
He said K could be both down to earth and a real ego
He said he always seemed to blame the officiating after a loss except whent was obvious when the team was outplayed
I dialed him up when I read this and he laughed saying it could go either way - an earnest positive reply or a hidden dig
When he heard that he was with "his Horde" he seems to think it was a dig BUT said if he was alone he is certain he would have been openly complimentary
I say whatever - as far as the usual dig from someone who advised you not to ID yourself as a UConn fan in the future - ignore the "advise" - you did the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom